Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I just bought myself a wonderful 12" iBook G3 which I so desperately wanted when I was a kid. 😍

Specs:
iBook G3 12"
Early 2003
900 mhz
128 mb RAM
32 mb VRAM (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500)
40 GB HDD
in good condition and working fine except for a dead battery.

Can't wait to finally get it... that thing's sooo gorgeous!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just bought myself a wonderful 12" iBook G3 which I so desperately wanted when I was a kid. 😍

Specs:
iBook G3 12"
Early 2003
900 mhz
128 mb RAM
32 mb VRAM (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500)
40 GB HDD
in good condition and working fine except for a dead battery.

Can't wait to finally get it... that thing's sooo gorgeous!
A stick of 512Mb is essential unless you're staying in OS9 - and even then....

I have the 14" model - still capable of so much :)

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
A stick of 512Mb is essential unless you're staying in OS9 - and even then....

I have the 14" model - still capable of so much :)

Thanks! Just ordered one, should be arriving at the end of the week. Now I have to go shopping for an AirPort card or buy me some network cables ...

Fun fact: My main reason for buying it was so that I have something for my 3rd gen iPod to connect to, but now I'm totally hyped for looking what I can do with it in general :)

Last edited:

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Hi all, first time posting here in a long time. Here's my recently acquired Sawtooth G4 that I've been upgrading over the last couple of months:

Originally a 400mhz Sawtooth G4
Powerlogix Powerforce 7457 G4 1.4 Ghz
1GB RAM
18 GB Apple-branded Seagate Cheetah 10k SCSI
160 GB Western Digital 7.2k ATA
DVD-RW Apple-branded Sony optical drive
ATTO Ultra160 SCSI PCI card
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition
Upgraded ATX power supply to power all this stuff
Case fan replaced with a new Noctua 120mm with higher CFM rating

Running OS X 10.4.11. It makes a pretty good vintage Mac gaming machine.

IMG_2899.jpg

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all, first time posting here in a long time. Here's my recently acquired Sawtooth G4 that I've been upgrading over the last couple of months:
Nice stuff! I'm in the process of upgrading my own Sawtooth atm. One thing I'd really like is better fans for my 2.0Ghz Newertech CPU, and perhaps a case fan too. My main concern is to reduce noise.
Would any ebay fans do the job, assuming they are the right size?

Reactions: lepidotós

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Found myself a near mint condition studio 17" monitor.
Was a good motivator to try and get my cube working again...
Which eventually I managed, it was dead as a dodo and ended up being a fried HDD.
Totally refused to boot, until I took the drive out. Sourced another one , and got it all to work!
IMG20220730175537.jpg
IMG20220730175838_01.jpg

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Nice stuff! I'm in the process of upgrading my own Sawtooth atm. One thing I'd really like is better fans for my 2.0Ghz Newertech CPU, and perhaps a case fan too. My main concern is to reduce noise.
Would any ebay fans do the job, assuming they are the right size?

I suppose you could do that, but if a seller doesn't list them already, you should look up its specifications like RPM, how much air it moves, and noise generated, and then compare it to what you have now and see if it would be an improvement. I think often you can find specifications on fans by googling the manufacturer and part number that is printed on the fan. Just keep in mind though that the safest thing to do is to maintain the same CFM rating (volume of air moved) or higher as what was originally used so that stuff doesn't run hotter. They are kind of pricey, but I like Noctua fans because they are high quality, flexible, and relatively quiet. Their "FLX" series include adapters for different types of power connectors, and also include adapters that adjust their operating speed so you can prioritize how much air it moves vs how much noise it generates. The Noctua 120mm fan I got to replace the OEM in my Sawtooth actually moves more air, and isn't any louder than the original.

Reactions: lepidotós

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had a C64 from 1984 to around 1997 I think. I say 'think' because it got stopped being used around 1989 when I got a C128. The C128 itself stopped being used in 1990 when I got my first PC. Both the 64 and 128 went to a church later on.

But the C64 I had a lot of fun with. You have a later version of the 1541 drive. I had two, but one came from the VIC-20 era while the second was bought with the computer in 1984. Later on I got two 1581s. I recognize your printer too, but never had one of those. My dad got me a Star Micronics SG-10 instead. I did have one of the large Commodore monitors though - the one with the dark plastic front and the large power button on the side and two large adjustment dials up front.

We (my family) knew a guy in 1984 that also had a C64 and he was quite involved with board level modifications. He installed his own reset button on his C64 and we asked him to do that for mine (which he did). So, whenever the computer froze up (as it often did) it was just a matter of pressing the reset button instead of turning it off and back on.

One of these days I will track down a C128D and some drives (1581 mainly).

Last edited:

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
I had a C64 from 1984 to around 1997 I think. I say 'think' because it got stopped being used around 1989 when I got a C128. The C128 itself stopped being used in 1990 when I got my first PC. Both the 64 and 128 went to a church later on.

But the C64 I had a lot of fun with. You have a later version of the 1541 drive. I had two, but one came from the VIC-20 era while the second was bought with the computer in 1984. Later on I got two 1581s. I recognize your printer too, but never had one of those. My dad got me a Star Micronics SG-10 instead. I did have one of the large Commodore monitors though - the one with the dark plastic front and the large power button on the side and two large adjustment dials up front.

We (my family) knew a guy in 1984 that also had a C64 and he was quite involved with board level modifications. He installed his own reset button on his C64 and we asked him to do that for mine (which he did). So, whenever the computer froze up (as it often did) it was just a matter of pressing the reset button instead of turning it off and back on.

It's really a whole bunch of nostalgics (and having some disposable cash now)!
I too, as a teenager, grew up with both the C64 and the TI-99/4A, they were really my very first steps into computers.
It sort of ended up being my livelihood, so in a way they did have an immens impact on my adult life!
Basically the reason you see both in my collection!

The TI-99/4a is the very actual computer I used as a kid, it popped up during an attic clean-up a bit after my dad passed away, never really realised it was still up there. Booted up on first try :)

I do remember the first model of the 1541, with the pull down lock instead of the turning lock like on the later version like I have. That first one had lots of issues if i remember correctly.

Main reason I'm also into those 68K Macs, my dad used to work in the graphical sector (a repographer), I remember as a kid he went to the USA on training courses with Aldus (later to be bought by Adobe), we ended up having some of those machines at home, in times where they could cost several months worth of salary!
Today, they do have a pretty sentimental value as my dad used to take me to his workplace every so often to show of the latest computer stuff they used!

Personally in early adulthood it was only Intel/Dos/Windows machines for me, as i went in a more technical direction (automation).
Somewhere on the right you'll see a Toshiba T3200 (with the orange plasma display) which I owned since the early 90's and still has the original software on for programming the PLC's we used back ten (mainly Siemens and Hima).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Personally in early adulthood it was only Intel/Dos/Windows machines for me, as i went in a more technical direction (automation).
Somewhere on the right you'll see a Toshiba T3200 (with the orange plasma display) which I owned since the early 90's and still has the original software on for programming the PLC's we used back ten (mainly Siemens and Hima).
Yeah, I was all PC until around 2003. I was aware of Macs, my mother had various computers in the house (she was a teacher and computer science was one of her classes) plus her own Mac. But for myself it was PC.

I became a graphic designer though and the Mac is what was used in all my jobs. I only had one job that was PC and within 6 months I was using one of the two Macs they had instead.

My mom introduced me to Pagewrecker maker as it was required to be used by Jostens in her yearbook class. But to use it I had to use her school's Macs. :)

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Beside my non working and modded 20" iMac G4 I found on a local online selling page the holy grail itself. A boxed 20" iMac G4 in pristine condition, running Leopard and everything is working fine! Sadly the upper part of the styrofoam is missing so it's very fragile for transport and storage.

Next step is to upgrade RAM and to 10.5.9 Sorbet Leopard. Maybe I'm also upgrading to a SSD but I'm not sure as the original HDD is running very quiet and it's still very fast.

View attachment 2010466
View attachment 2010467
Is that keyboard gray?!? or just a trick of the light?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

It's really a whole bunch of nostalgics (and having some disposable cash now)!
I too, as a teenager, grew up with both the C64 and the TI-99/4A, they were really my very first steps into computers.
It sort of ended up being my livelihood, so in a way they did have an immens impact on my adult life!
Basically the reason you see both in my collection!

The C64 was also one of the main computers that I grew up with and it was my first machine in 1984. Last year I swooped on one that I saw for sale in the local classifieds.

Gm0cDa8.jpg

When I met up with the seller he explained to me that it belonged to his son who'd long since flown the nest and left it behind, so he'd decided to monetise the contents of his son's room. Let that be a warning that if you've left home, your possessions of yesteryear are not safe!

It needed a bit of attention: the programmable logic array which is prone to failure on older machines had developed issues, as you can see:

Ylf2KWl.png

A C64 enthusiast in the Netherlands sold me a replacement but I felt unsure about tackling the soldering work and it was put to one side for ages till I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the plunge. :)

d1krKxD.jpg

I noticed that the PSU socket was extremely loose on the PCB and it didn't grip the PSU DIN plug snugly so I removed it and fitted a replacement.

7OLiSR6.jpg

With those issues rectified, I flicked the power switch and...

5dBoD3a.jpg

...I think you'll agree that this looks miles better than before. :)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I met up with the seller he explained to me that it belonged to his son who'd long since flown the nest and left it behind, so he'd decided to monetise the contents of his son's room. Let that be a warning that if you've left home, your possessions of yesteryear are not safe!
That's how I found all my old computers (C64 and C128, drives, etc) were all being gifted to a church. :D

izbits

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
I always wanted a fancy aluminium tower mac, recently whilst i was looking for some old ram modules to fix an arcade cabinet i stumbled across a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8GHz at the metal recyclers waiting to go in the scrap.

So of course i had to grab it, the machine was covered in dirt and grease, had no ram installed, the side cover and fan was missing (and i still don't have them) and it had been thrown around with a lot of scratches and a rather large dent in the bottom side of the case.

Nonetheless i've manged to strip it down and clean it up, bought a pair of 1GB ram modules, fired it up and it works a treat. Had a BlackMagic DeckLinkPro card in it, no cable though so i'm not sure if i'll look further into that.

It started to (what i think was) hit thermal shutdown during file transfers from a USB stick and pretty much everything except basic finder and system browsing. I pulled the CPU's out, gave them a clean and applied new thermal paste, temps are down from 6deg on one CPU to 10deg on the other, floating around 45deg to 60deg unless i load up Halo in which case it takes around 5mins before it shuts down again, sits at around 65 to 68deg for a few seconds and then shuts down. I haven't found the CPU fans or case side cover local to me (in AUS) yet but i'm sure i'll get there. Current sitting on 58deg CPU A and 63deg CPU B whilst i write this post.

Overall this scrap heap mac has cost me $90 ($25 for the machine, $10 for a new battery, $20 for a 64GB SSD, $15 for 2GB ram and $20 for an Apple Cinema display). It's happily running Mac OS 10.5.8 / Sorbet Leopard and Mac garden has been great getting some old programs up and running.

PPC first startup.jpeg

PPC Halo.jpeg

PPC temp.jpeg

PPC Web.jpeg

sambow23

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2022
Just acquired this 12" Japanese beast in perfect condition on Buyee (other than the LCD delamination). The keyboard is just so perfect to type on, though it's taking a bit getting used to the Japanese layout. Battery is basically mint with only 7 cycles and the HDD is quick and whisper quiet. The speakers are somehow MILES better than my 15" PB G4 and 15" PB G4 DLSD, bass is thumpy but not overpowering, mids are present and clear, and highs have decent detail with little distortion. This is easily one of Apple's best laptops ever created.

Attachments

• 20221024_225852.jpg
    20221024_225852.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 124
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.