Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning started accepting pre-orders for its Powerbeats Pro wireless headphones in Ivory, Moss, and Navy on its online Apple Store.

powerbeats-pro-ivory.jpg

Apple is currently quoting shipping times of 5 to 7 business days for the Ivory and Navy headphones, which loosely corresponds with Apple's plan to make the new Powerbeats Pro colors available in retail stores from August 30. The Moss color currently ships in 1 to 2 weeks. The new colors are also available to order at the Beats By Dre website, which is quoting the same shipping times.

Apple started selling Powerbeats Pro in May after introducing them in April, but the black color was the only one available at launch. Apple said that it would make the other colors available at a later date.

powerbeatspro3.jpg

Powerbeats Pro are a wire-free version of Apple's popular fitness-oriented Powerbeats earbuds. Like the AirPods, Powerbeats Pro feature a dedicated charging case that offers 24 hours of battery life and an H1 chip for fast connectivity to your devices, device switching, and Hey Siri support.

powerbeatsprocolors.jpg

Apple's Powerbeats Pro are priced at $249.95 in the United States. For more on the Powerbeats Pro features, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Powerbeats Pro in Ivory, Moss, and Navy Now Available for Pre-order

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ordered the ivory for my missus.

Had an odd experience with my local Apple store about these. Went in and asked if they had these to try on in the store and they said yes. Came out with them and asked for Wifes phone to pair it and we said just wanted to try fit as she has small ears. Tried on an didn't fit great. Another staff member came over to look as we took them out of her ears, and said "Oh you need the ear tips" which were missing. First staff member said "Oh we don't have any". So seems like a pointless exercise then trying for fit, but also would have been terrible sounding without tips had we also wanted to test sound.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016

Had an odd experience with my local Apple store about these. Went in and asked if they had these to try on in the store and they said yes. Came out with them and asked for Wifes phone to pair it and we said just wanted to try fit as she has small ears. Tried on an didn't fit great. Another staff member came over to look as we took them out of her ears, and said "Oh you need the ear tips" which were missing. First staff member said "Oh we don't have any". So seems like a pointless exercise then trying for fit, but also would have been terrible sounding without tips had we also wanted to test sound.

There are 8 tips included in the box.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
So is this the supposedly 'airpods 3' that was rumored to come earlier than expected?

willnpc

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Panama City
$250? Really? And reviews say they sound very similar to the Powerbeats 3...I bought a few pair of those recently for $30 each used like new...$30 vs $250 is a no brainer to me...Be smart people, buying this only tells Apple their prices are spot on

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
went from AirPods to new Sony WF-1000XM3. huge sound difference.

noise cancelling is amazing in noisy shopping centre. Only time it does anything weird is walking along a windy footpath. microphones cause some whistling and EXTRA noise you wouldnt normally get.

bass is awesome but not overdone. if you want to exercise, get the Powerbeats Pro. if you're just walking around, maybe not.
[doublepost=1566475502][/doublepost]i think the green and ivory are shocking first release colours. Beats make so many other great colours and combinations in their range. was this Jony's farewell middle finger goodbye?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
$250? Really? And reviews say they sound very similar to the Powerbeats 3...I bought a few pair of those recently for $30 each used like new...$30 vs $250 is a no brainer to me...Be smart people, buying this only tells Apple their prices are spot on

All the reviews I’ve seen mention better sound quality than the Powerbeats 3 and AirPods.

Last edited:

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Crazy price for what it is. Apple needs to realize that their prices are becoming an issue.

I don’t think they’re going to get the message given that both AirPods and Powerbeats have military-week back orders at launch.
[doublepost=1566476870][/doublepost]

Thanks. I was going to buy these until you convinced me to instead not buy them to make a statement.
[doublepost=1566477014][/doublepost]
I know that, my point is that you can't really accurately gauge fit or music quality if you can't test them with tips

your point makes zero sense. Eight tips in the box but you can’t test them with the tips? Are you allergic to the material used in the tips?

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014

They’re typical Apple:

8/10 for performance and style
2/10 for value

There are enough tips to mix it up for both size and activity but I doubt there is ever a perfect fit. If it helps, I love mine. Just wish they were a little less expensive.

Reactions: Preed08

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
your point makes zero sense. Eight tips in the box but you can’t test them with the tips? Are you allergic to the material used in the tips?

Your post makes zero sense. He's saying that you can effectively test them out in store (before purchase), because they don't give you the tips to try (which makes sense, as who wants to try on headphones with tips that 100 other people have shoved in their ears). But, since you don't have access to the tips before purchase, you can't effectively test them out for fit and sound. His post makes perfect sense...

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I know that, my point is that you can't really accurately gauge fit or music quality if you can't test them with tips
Ah my bad. You didn’t get to test the actual tips. I thought you bought them and didn’t look in the box. Sorry

Reactions: Trin813

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Just recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones, as well as the closed backed version (Beyerdynamic 770 Pro) for $160 each. They are, of course, wired and use the Apple designated obsolete 3.5 mm jack, so I have to use my LG V40 or my laptops incorporating phone jack/DAC/Amp combinations to power these headphones (250 ohm impedance). Minimum latency, amazing sound, and with the ability to supplement with an external DAC if needed (occasionally with low power phones). There is also no need to worry about batteries for the headphones. Total cost was $320 for both. I wish Apple would at least offer one iPhone model with the jack and decent DAC onboard so I could use headphones of this quality with an iOS device - heck, maybe they could even produce an Apple branded high quality wired headphone to match.

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones, as well as the closed backed version (Beyerdynamic 770 Pro) for $160 each. They are, of course, wired and use the Apple designated obsolete 3.5 mm jack, so I have to use my LG V40 or my laptops incorporating phone jack/DAC/Amp combinations to power these headphones (250 ohm impedance). Minimum latency, amazing sound, and with the ability to supplement with an external DAC if needed (occasionally with low power phones). There is also no need to worry about batteries for the headphones. Total cost was $320 for both. I wish Apple would at least offer one iPhone model with the jack and decent DAC onboard so I could use headphones of this quality with an iOS device - heck, maybe they could even produce an Apple branded high quality wired headphone to match.

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You described enough hardware to need a suitcase just to carry it around. After spending $320 on huge non-folding headphones, and who knows much more on an external DAC, what's another $8.50 for a tiny adapter? https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B01LXJFMGF/

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
so judging from all the advertising of these, if you wear glasses, you can't wear these???

Because the people in the ads don’t wear glasses? o_O
[doublepost=1566485214][/doublepost]
Your post makes zero sense. He's saying that you can effectively test them out in store (before purchase), because they don't give you the tips to try (which makes sense, as who wants to try on headphones with tips that 100 other people have shoved in their ears). But, since you don't have access to the tips before purchase, you can't effectively test them out for fit and sound. His post makes perfect sense...

No, it makes no sense. Buy them, try them at home, then return them if you don’t like them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.