Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felipeerojasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Valparaíso, Chile
Hi everyone! I'm new in the forum, but i've been following these threads for a long time. My name is Felipe, english isn't my first language, so I'm sorry if I make grammatical mistakes.
First of all, i want to thank you all because of your great job keeping PowerPC macs alive! It doesn't matter if their are old: for my basics uses it fits well.

To the point:

I've been using a PowerBook G4 15" DLSD as my main computer for months, very pleased by its performance.
Yesterday was a very hot day here in Chile, and the mac was running very hot too: up to 65°C when I decided to turn it off.
When I first started using it, the normal temperature was between 50-60°C, but in the last days, even if they were cold days, it was at 62-64°, using Aperture.
I read that those temperatures were normal in this mac, so i never worried a lot. BUT, I decided to open it, and put some thermal paste inside, I've never looked there before, so I thought it could help.

I did that job following an internet guide, everything was fine until i "rearmed" it (don't know if that is the correct word), and the screen was black at the startup.
It succesfully arrives to the desktop because the sound is working (if I press the volume buttons), but, I can't get the screen to work. It lights up, but it's black.

I opened it again, disconnect all and reconnected again, and it worked! Used for a moment, then it went to sleep. When i woke it up, the screen was black. Tried everyhting, but nothing worked. So i decided to reboot, but until now it is not working.

I'll do the same again.

I think it could be:
- graphics card problem or damage, but I did the job carefully.
- PRAM failure. Don't know, but it could be. And in Chile it's very difficult to get a new one or used PRAM. Those computers are few in the country especially this model (this is from USA, with english keyboard).
- DVI connector failure (i will try putting an external display)

Any suggestion and help will be welcome.

Greetings from Chile!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
More than likely it's your LVCD cable. That's the cable from the display to the logicboard. I would check that for any damage. Make sure it's fully seated.

If it's damaged then you'll need a new LVCD cable or to just replace the entire LCD.

felipeerojasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Valparaíso, Chile
More than likely it's your LVCD cable. That's the cable from the display to the logicboard. I would check that for any damage. Make sure it's fully seated.

If it's damaged then you'll need a new LVCD cable or to just replace the entire LCD.

Well, the cable appears to be in good conditions. I reconnected it, and everything is working fine.
And now it wake up from sleep.
Maybe some part of the cable has an internal cut, I don't know. I will look for a replacement.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.