Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register posts a story about a small html reference on Apple's Powerbook site.

According to the news site, the following url reference appeared on Apple's Powerbook pages:

http://switch.atdmt.com/action/apple_g5_powerbook

The reference was in an IMG tag, speculated to be a counter for Apple's various individual web pages. The reference was changed to apple_g4_powerbook shortly after the publishing of the story.

Rumors have placed a G4 Powerbook upgrade in the coming days/weeks.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
One day apple will finally have out the G5 powerbook, if they want to. I don't think the G5 offers benefits that a much less wattage freescale G4 couldn't produce.

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
That sound you are hearing is Steve Jobs tearing someone a new one.

Good news for all of us though.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Wonder Boy said:
meh. just a typo.

I dobut it, for all we know it could be a template for the site. Thus it's used for G5 and G4 images. Not necessarily the laptops only.

I hope I'm wrong though like the rest of us!

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
i'll buy it

if it is twice as fast as my 1.2ghz ibook at a comparable price. so... i'd say in 2006.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
I would love for this to be true, but I doubt it. It would be nice for ThinkSecret to be wrong for once (in recent history).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
TheRegister has an update :

"Within an hour of posting the story, and the screenshot we took as evidence, Apple altered the HTML to replace g5 with g4. Don't hang around, do they?"

I really think something is going to happen, a G5 PB is fairly imminent - by at most July WDDC, the G5 PB will have been released.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Stella said:
TheRegister has an update :

"Within an hour of posting the story, and the screenshot we took as evidence, Apple altered the HTML to replace g5 with g4.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN!!!! :p

Let the frenzy begin.

mkwilson68

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Fingers crossed

I'll buy whatever they release, but boy would it be nice if it was a sparkly new G5 PB. Mmm mmmmm. :)

goof_ball

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Canada
I second that its either a typo, or a copy/paste error. It probably started out to be apple_g5_powermac, and they didn't switch it correctly.

Maybe I'm wrong though!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
what happens when they do eventually bring out the g5 powerbook? what do we wait for then?

hartsft

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2004
hope this is true!

time for lotsa people getting worked up over freescale and g5 and a bunch of million times hashed over stuff.. lets just hope that something really good and new shows up!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I wonder if Apple does these things on purpose to create hype. Though it wouldn't make much business sense, it would still be pretty funny.

Fishes,
narco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.