Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegionCSUF

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Fresno, CA
Re: Re: PowerBook G4 Next Week, says Kodawarisan.com

Originally posted by Bruja
We'll see... Not really assured that it's going to happen. Chicken Little has already stated a number of times that the sky was falling. One thing that I did find interesting was that Consumer Reports Magazine was really talking up the 867 Mhz 12" Pbk. and not the 1Ghz.

Agreed. The only thing that has me thinking that we might be looking at the real deal this time is the delayed PowerBook shipments (as mentioned above, mine has been pushed to the 19th, and other people have reported similarly). It could be just a regular delay or a shortage or whathaveyou, but it's the only thing in the ballpark of actual "evidence" to back up the current rumors.

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Easy on Apple...

One thing I'd like to know is why yoy want 12/17" PB updates. I would like a 15" AlBook, but the 12/17" PB's seem good enough.
Also, I don't think Apple wants to lose more of its already smalll marketshare. I bet Motorola is part of the holdup, and I hope IBM comes out with the rumored G3+AltiVec soon!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Re: Easy on Apple...

If for nothing else there is a hope for extended run time due to a more efficent processor. We would also likely get more RAM and a larger harddisk.

Frankly more RAM is possibly the most important aspect beyond the processor upgrade. The PowerBooks are under speced RAM wise and the reality of OS/X is that more is better.

Since no one really knows what is coming there are also the possibilities of major upgrades. The possibilities are SMP and 970 processors and enhanced graphics adapters. Things like SATA and port improvements are also possible.

Thanks
Dave

Originally posted by ryaxnb
One thing I'd like to know is why yoy want 12/17" PB updates. I would like a 15" AlBook, but the 12/17" PB's seem good enough.
Also, I don't think Apple wants to lose more of its already smalll marketshare. I bet Motorola is part of the holdup, and I hope IBM comes out with the rumored G3+AltiVec soon!

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
USB 2.0

I personally would like to see USB 2.0 in the 12" PB. A 167 MHZ bus and L3 would be nice too.

LegionCSUF

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Fresno, CA
Weirdness defined:

I now got an email stating what my order status was saying: the ship date on my PowerBook has been pushed back to the 19th, due to "an unexpected supply delay".

Yet, when I go back to the Order Status page, I find that it has returned to listing my ship date as 8/12!

Oh, but that's only if I click "Order Status" at store.apple.com. If I go to the http://www.apple.com/orderstatus link provided in the email, and enter my web order number and zip code as asked, I get a different order status page that lists the ship date at 8/19 again!

As that "angry mac user" Switch spoof video states, clearly the Mac is practicing some kind of bizarre psychological warfare on me. My ship date is bouncing up and down like a Jack Russell f%$&^ng terrirer.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Weirdness defined:

I now got an email stating what my order status was saying: the ship date on my PowerBook has been pushed back to the 19th, due to "an unexpected supply delay".

Yet, when I go back to the Order Status page, I find that it has returned to listing my ship date as 8/12!

Oh, but that's only if I click "Order Status" at store.apple.com. If I go to the http://www.apple.com/orderstatus link provided in the email, and enter my web order number and zip code as asked, I get a different order status page that lists the ship date at 8/19 again!

As that "angry mac user" Switch spoof video states, clearly the Mac is practicing some kind of bizarre psychological warfare on me. My ship date is bouncing up and down like a Jack Russell f%$&^ng terrirer.
Come on now. You won't be complaining if Apple sends you latest upgraded PowerBook with 1+Ghz G4 and USB 2, FireWire 800, etc. Hopefully that's what they are planning to do.

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Re: Easy on Apple...

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Well, you can never have too much power! ;-)

Besides, it's not so much that people want 12"/17" updates - rather, we know there are new revisions of the G4... that, and the fact the 17" pricing hasn't changed in 8 months, and it's starting to look a little bit on the expensive side....

Oh - and cooler running PBs - especially the 12" - wouldn't go amiss!!

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
Get me 1.3Ghz, an 80gb option, USB 2.0, backlit 15" and I think I won't say anything bad about Apple again. Mind you, I won't be here to say bad things, because I'll finally have the freakin' PowerBook I've been waiting for about four months to purchase, in hopes of an update.

Lori

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Schaumburg, IL
Another 19th...

I like the merits of both arguments I see (I've been blind to all the other ones...hehe).

I ordered my powerbook yesterday and, instead of the "3-5 days shipping" it first claimed, the order says that it will be shipped on the 19th. I'll be extremely happy if something super spiced up comes to my door...but I'll take anything at this moment...I just couldn't afford to wait anymore.

The argument that why on earth would Apple go and introduce fresh pb's while they still have the education discount going on seems to make the most sense to me. It doesn't seem like they would (though they did let me use the 15 dollar off promo code they had even though it was an edu and I'm getting a rebate).

Hehe, legion, I love that "I am merely confused by the laptop's ability to simultaneously ship on 8/12 and 8/19. :)" Too funny. Proving once again Mac ppl can have more fun and a sense of humour cuz they don't have to deal w/all the stupid windows problems that would drain those two things from them...lol. :)

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Re: Another 19th...

Originally posted by Lori
I ordered my powerbook yesterday and, instead of the "3-5 days shipping" it first claimed, the order says that it will be shipped on the 19th.

Which one did you go with and did you customize it?

Lori

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Schaumburg, IL
Another 19th...

It's gotta last me three years so I maxed it out :) 60 gb hd, 640MB RAM, Superdrive, 12.1" and I threw in an Airport Extreme card for good measure.

I've heard quite a few pieces of info about how those type have to be assembled in Taiwan and then shipped to California and then to their new owners (thus the long ship length); but hey, might as well dream till it gets here, right?

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Re: Another 19th...

Originally posted by Lori
It's gotta last me three years so I maxed it out :) 60 gb hd, 640MB RAM, Superdrive, 12.1" and I threw in an Airport Extreme card for good measure.

I've heard quite a few pieces of info about how those type have to be assembled in Taiwan and then shipped to California and then to their new owners (thus the long ship length); but hey, might as well dream till it gets here, right?

That is pretty much what I wanted to buy, but with the word of updates possibly on the 18/19th I am giving thoughts to waiting. I would hate to wait until Monday and find out no new releases and have to stick with the original plan and wait an extra ???? days for the PB to show up.

Matt88

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2003
Canada
As someone else mentioned, the Apple Education Store (Canada) is posting a 30 business day shipping time (regarding 12" Powerbooks)... as for myself, I ordered on August 1st (via University Computer Store) and they have yet to even receive a shipment notice from Apple.

For a student, the $300 rebate off the iPod, plus the $150 printer free is a major attraction (this will be my first Mac), but that only works if you receive your 'book before September 27th. Initially, ordering at the beginning of August, this hardly seemed an issue.

There's a thread at the Apple.com discussions regarding these delays (in the Powerbook --> 12 Inch --> Usage forum).

Anyway, I realize that posting this will not make it come faster (although that would be EXCELLENT)... but it is nice to know that others share the same predicament.

Just needed to get that off my chest,

Thanks,
Matt

Mac&Sushi

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2003
I doubt we will really see a major revamp on the PB lines in this Paris show.

Why? Notice how apple is reskinning our OSX with all the stainless metal look.

I really really think that the next PB update is when they recolour our PBs back to the real aluminium color. Then it will match the new Panther look.

No new PB until January. Maybe just reskinning of the 15inch into Aluminium with the bluetooth built into it.

Minor speed bumps for all PBs are possible.

Cantab

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by Mac&Sushi
I doubt we will really see a major revamp on the PB lines in this Paris show.
How many different threads are you planning on posting this to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.