PowerBook Updates in September?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that Apple will be providing users with one more PowerPC-based PowerBook update before the switch to Intel.

The rumor site credits "reliable sources" who claim that the updated PowerBook is planned for the third week of September at Apple Expo Paris. Curiously, the sources hedge their bets by reporting that the Powerbooks have "recently fallen into a rut that could force a delay or even cause the company to scrap the revision entirely."

The updated laptop is reported to reach "near 2GHz" with internal support for dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM. The possibility of a high-density (1920x1200 pixel) PowerBook remains open, but few details are provided.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Please let there be an update ... I would like to purchase a new Powerbook

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
the article says shockingly little... :)

arn

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
arn said:
the article says shockingly little... :)

arn

What is does say is the following:

"At the high-end, the new PowerBooks are expected to gain a 300MHz speed boost that would put the 17-inch model at or near 2GHz. The new 15-inch PowerBook is expected to step up to the feature set of the current 17-inch PowerBook, but it's unclear if it too is scheduled to be bumped to a 2GHz processor or one running slightly slower."

I say a 300 MHz bump would be awesome!

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Very interesting. I wasn't expecting this until later in the year or early next winter. This may be the PowerBook I buy next as I plant to skip at least the first generation of MacIntels.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I predict black anodized aluminum (similar to the Motorola RAZR v3 in black) for the x86 PowerBooks.

The last PPC PowerBooks will still be the same bare aluminum color.

However, if Apple is desperate to sell the PPC PowerBooks, they could charge maybe $100 extra for a black option.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
thats good. i like that. nice cosy incremental updates until the epic Mactel update in 2006/whenever.

would like to see a muchly improved 12" PB, but i suppose it is the cheap end of the expensive machines.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I hope this is true. I really want a new Powerbook, so the sooner the better. A new display would be amazing, along with a GPU update, perhaps.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Let's say there is an update to the Powerbook line ... would anyone want to speculate if those Powerbooks would become collectors items as they would be the "last PowerPC based Powerbooks"?

I think they would be.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I Think I'll Make a Thread "New Powerbooks Next Paris Expo?"

This is pretty cool that you Powerbook lovers are getting rumors so early. I wish people who wanted iBooks got an update notice a month in advance.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
If Apple fails to release new Powerbooks by the Holiday Shopping season, I think many people may opt to "wait a bit longer" for an Intel based Powerbook as the current models would have been out for approx a year.

Overall, I hope we see new Powerbooks!

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
If this rumor is true - all new PowerBook owners may need a thermal protection system to operate it in 'laptop' mode... :D

With those speeds, who knows.. they might even liquid cool them !!!:eek:

aussie_geek

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
I hope they don't just limit the 2GHz chip to the 17" - the 15" PB's should get the top processor too.

I'm definitely down for buying whatever they are going to release. I want to get a Mac soon and the PB is definitely going to be it.

MikeAtari

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2003
Philly
amac4me said:
If Apple fails to release new Powerbooks by the Holiday Shopping season, I think many people may opt to "wait a bit longer" for an Intel based Powerbook as the current models would have been out for approx a year.

Overall, I hope we see new Powerbooks!
F I N A L L Y !

- Depends on your software library. If it's filled with high end pro apps it might be a good idea to buy this last model and slip version 1 of the Intel chips.

- Secondly, there's the Open Source PPC developers out there. This is IT, this is the LAST PPC laptop available, but, lets not forget the IBooks as well, but if you want the Most Advanced PPC laptop this is it. So, IBM employee's and Yellow dog Linux Lovers may be tempted to jump.

This will be interesting with the 300mhz jump and 1 meg of L2 cache. The cache alone will add 20% speed bump.

- I'm very tempted but my machine isn't old enough. If I win Powerball I'll get one immediately.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Macrumors said:
The updated laptop is reported to reach "near 2GHz" with internal support for dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM. The possibility of a high-density (1920x1200 pixel) PowerBook remains open, but few details are provided.
Huge expense to switch to a new chipset when Apple doesn't plan on using it too long, didn't think the current Intrepid supported DDR2 or a 200MHz bus.

We usually saw Apple stick with major chipset revisions for 18-24 months on chips they built.

MikeAtari

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2003
Philly
Sun Baked said:
Huge expense to switch to a new chipset when Apple doesn't plan on using it too long, didn't think the current Intrepid supported DDR2 or a 200MHz bus.

We usually saw Apple stick with major chipset revisions for 18-24 months on chips they built.
What if that chipset would be used in IBooks for the next 18 months?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
aussie_geek said:
If this rumor is true - all new PowerBook owners may need a thermal protection system to operate it in 'laptop' mode... :D

With those speeds, who knows.. they might even liquid cool them !!!:eek:
Reading the linked article helps. :)
AppleInsider said:
Also at issue could be the availability of Freescale's new MPC7448 PowerPC G4 processors, which are expected to power the new Apple laptops. Although the Motorola subsidiary has stated that production of the MPC7448 would start around October, its capability to yield an adequate supply of the faster 2GHz processors remains unknown.

To date, Freescale has only publicly announced MPC7448 processors with speeds of up to 1.7GHz. However, the MPC7448 is based on Freescale e600 PowerPC core, which is expected to scale beyond 2GHz. The chips will boast a 1MB Level 2 backside cache, which is double that of the 512KB cache included with Freescale's MPC7447A chips used in the current PowerBooks.

The MPC7448 is also the first product in the MPC74xx family to use Freescale's 90 nanometer (nm) silicon-on-insulator (SOI) CMOS process that will significantly increase clock and bus speeds while reducing power requirements.
Lower power consumption should mean lower heat.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
well i recently came inot some money and have been debating for some time if i wanted a new ibook or new imac. But if an such update were to happen, i see no reason not to wait till september for that last moto powerbook of our time.

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
snkTab said:
Something tells me to prepare to be disappointed.
I agree. When was the last update that was actually impressive? (The G5 iMacs and new Mac Mini's were the last couple I can remember that impressed me)