Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret cites "highly reliable" source to provide us with detailed specs about upcoming hardware releases.

The new PowerMacs are said to top out at 2.7GHz in the following configurations:

Dual 2.0GHz, Dual 2.3GHz and Dual 2.7GHz with 512MB RAM featuring SuperDrives with dual-layer DVD+R support. No reliable info if the new processors will offer the multi-core 970MP or not.

The iMac G5 will reach 2GHz with two 17" and one 20" configuration, while the eMac will come with 1.25 and 1.42 GHz G4 processors as well an upgraded video card (64MB ATI Radeon 9600) to take advantage of Tiger's Core Image.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Cool, just need dual core info

HERE WE GO

Revealed: New Power Mac G5, iMac G5, eMac Specs

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
April 14, 2005 - Highly reliable sources have confirmed the specifications of Apple's forthcoming revisions to its Power Mac G5, iMac G5 and eMac systems, expected to start shipping within a few days of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger's April 29th release.

New Power Mac G5 systems, code-named Q87, will top out at 2.7GHz, sources said, while video cards are being upgraded with double the SDRAM. All models will feature SuperDrives offering dual-layer DVD+R support, as well as DVD±RW/CD-RW compatibility.

Three primary configurations will be offered with the following specifications:
Dual-2GHz
512K L2 cache per processor
Dual 1GHz frontside buses
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (4GB max.)
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
128MB DDR SDRAM ATI Radeon 9600 video card

Dual-2.3GHz
Dual 1.15GHz frontside buses
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (8GB max.)
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
128MB DDR SDRAM ATI Radeon 9600 video card

Dual-2.7GHz
Dual 1.35GHz frontside buses
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (8GB max.)
256MB DDR SDRAM ATI Radeon 9650 video card

Sources were unable to confirm at this time whether the systems will sport the dual-core PowerPC 970MP processor or the single-core PowerPC 970GX, although unconfirmed notes point to the PowerPC 970MP. The second core would deliver performance gains far greater than the 200-300MHz bumps each processor is receiving alone with the update.

Also uncertain is whether a more affordable single-processor Power Mac G5 system will continue to be offered. After axing the model with last June's Power Mac G5 revision, Apple re-introduced the less expensive 1.8GHz single-processor system in October 2004.

iMac G5, eMac

As first reported over a month ago, the updated iMac G5, code-named Q45 C/D, will reach 2GHz, while video memory is doubled to 128MB and the card itself upgraded to ATI's Radeon 9600. All models will also feature Bluetooth 2.0 and will ship pre-installed with Tiger and iLife '05.

Two 17-inch and one 20-inch model will continue to be offered in the following configurations:

"Good" 17-inch, 1.8GHz
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR SDRAM
Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)

"Better" 17-inch, 2GHz
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR SDRAM
SuperDrive (supporting dual-layer as well as DVD±RW/CD-RW burning)

"Best" 20-inch, 2GHz
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR SDRAM

SuperDrive (supporting dual-layer as well as DVD±RW/CD-RW burning)
Other specifications will remain unchanged; pricing is expected to remain in line with current models.

Two eMac models, code-named Q86J, will continue to be available and will have their G4 processors bumped from 1.25GHz to 1.42GHz. The eMacs will also see their 32MB ATI Radeon 9200 video card upgraded to a 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 card, to take full advantage of new graphics capabilities found in Tiger's Core Image technology.

The low-end, Combo Drive eMac will feature 256MB of DDR SDRAM and an 80MB hard drive, while the SuperDrive eMac will pack 512MB of DDR SDRAM and a 160GB hard drive. Like the Power Mac G5 and iMac G5, the SuperDrive eMac will be capable of burning to dual-layer DVD+R media, as well as DVD±RW and CD-RW. It's unclear whether prices will be shaved slightly or remain the same.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Macrumors said:

ThinkSecret cites "highly reliable" source to provide us with detailed specs about upcoming hardware releases.

The new PowerMacs are said to top out at 2.7GHz in the following configurations:

Dual 2.0GHz, Dual 2.3GHz and Dual 2.7GHz with 512MB RAM featuring SuperDrives with dual-layer DVD+R support. No reliable info if the new processors will offer the multi-core 970MP or not.

The iMac G5 will reach 2GHz with two 17" and one 20" configuration, while the eMac will come with 1.25 and 1.42 GHz G4 processors as well an upgraded video card (64MB ATI Radeon 9600) to take advantage of Tiger's Core Image.

While the upgrades for iMacs and eMacs are great (except for the 256 MB RAM at the low-end), the value of the PM upgrades depends on the CPU. While a dual 2.7 GHz 970MP would be amazing (it would probably be faster than a dual 3.0 GHz 970FX/GX system), a dual 2.7 GHz FX/GX system wouldn't be a huge improvement, given the time since the last update. ONTH, better GPUs and better SuperDrives along with lower prices could still improve the value of such a system even if it's "only" a FX/GX CPU.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
512 MB standard is much better but should of been done a while ago.

iMac hitting 2 GHz is cool, that's what I've been waiting for.

With these upgrades, I also hope the price comes down.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
i sent that story in, too...woot. Very dissapointing about the Power Macs not reaching 3ghz though. iMacs sound awesome though, they will sell a ton... :)

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Pretty disappointing that they didn't make 3GHz on the PM. Doesn't the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme 840 go at 4GHz?

I was super sure I wanted to upgrade my 2003 Dual 2.0 but will have to wait and see now.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
New PowerMac Superdrives

Hey all,

I'm quite happy with my 3month old Dual 2.0GHz powermac - however i would love to get hold of one of those new DVD+RW DL drives (featured in the possible PM update) on its own. Where would i be able to find the actual model number of those drives and get a gold of a Mac compatible one?

How easy would it be to get hold of and install? Would Tiger (pre-ordered) just 'work' with it?

Thanks,

FireArse

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
About time they're doing something with the GPUs. It's a nice upgrade from the 5200 and 9200s. Dual Layer capability on the burner is nice too.

I do wonder what they're going to do with the single CPU PM. It's the most likely option for me if I ever buy a desktop Mac. The duals are too expensive for me...

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
If the Powermacs don't have the dual-core processors then these specs will leave me totally underwhelmed, not to say pissed-off.

If they are dual-core, I'll want to see benchmark tests to work out what the benefits are.

Welcome boost in RAM, hard disk size, etc, but after all this time we want a big boost in performance, not trifles.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The most important updates here to my mind are the VRAM updates on the iMacs...and decent ram minimums. I expect this to keep sales high, especially if they can drop the 20" down a few bucks as well.

I still think they should produce a Deluxe/Royale version of the 20" with a Gig of ram, WiFi, BT Keyboard and Mouse so people can buy it straight from the store without CTOs or fiddling with them. Surely of the 20"s this would be a popular config...

RowdyBacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
If this information is indeed accurate, I'd say there's a very good chance that the processors are the 970MP variants. Considering that Apple has been employing 2Ghz and 2.3Ghz G5 processors for some time now (XServe and PowerMac), it seems rather unlikely they'd simply reshuffle the current PowerMac line with revised/speed-bumped "old generation" G5s. It would be a less-than-impressive model refresh to say the least.

However, if these new machines are sporting the dual-core G5s, then the apparent minor speed bump would be anything but minor! ;)

scb

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
London
perfect

very pleased with the imac specs, exactly what i was looking for with better gpu, more standard memory and BT2, not to mention the superdrive! :D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Intel are playing the Mhz game... the P4 running @ 4 Ghz isn't necessarily faster than processors running at lower clock rates.

Anyway, its about time Apple provided good graphic cards - the 9600 is a nice card.. the memory too..

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
FireArse said:
Hey all,

I'm quite happy with my 3month old Dual 2.0GHz powermac - however i would love to get hold of one of those new DVD+RW DL drives (featured in the possible PM update) on its own. Where would i be able to find the actual model number of those drives and get a gold of a Mac compatible one?

How easy would it be to get hold of and install? Would Tiger (pre-ordered) just 'work' with it?

Thanks,

FireArse

Pioneer 108 or 109 is what I've been installing on my own & others' machines. £40 (I guess >$70). Dead easy to fit.

mithras

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
broken_keyboard said:
Pretty disappointing that they didn't make 3GHz on the PM. Doesn't the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme 840 go at 4GHz?

That's not really an appropriate comparison. The P4 is much slower clock-for-clock than the G5. A better comparison is with the AMD Athlon, or the Opteron.
* current top-of-the-line Athlon and Opteron is 2.6Ghz.
* dual-core Opterons will be released this quarter, at 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2Ghz.

So while the incremental advance of the G5 is disappointing, it's in the neighborhood.

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Slap these puppies with Tiger, and Apple's sales will be very healthy.

There's so much going on this month.

Nice work Apple. :D

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
toontra said:
If the Powermacs don't have the dual-core processors then these specs will leave me totally underwhelmed, not to say pissed-off.

If they are dual-core, I'll want to see benchmark tests to work out what the benefits are.

Welcome boost in RAM, hard disk size, etc, but after all this time we want a big boost in performance, not trifles.

I have to agree...unless there is a large price drop instead. I'm in the market for a new Mac. If there is a dual-core dual 2.7 it will be irresistable even at a high price point. If the dual 2.0 comes in at $1600, it will also be irresistable just because of the value.

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Does anybody else starting to feel that Think Secret is really taking the fun out of this. I mean the last 3-4 years have been great for macrumors and we all have had some fun here. But I am starting to feel the mystery beginning to slip. First we'll all comment on these NEW specs, then sit around later and talk about the REAL specs, and then how they compared, so on and so on. It used to be tantalizing to follow rumor sites, but now with Think Secret getting the inside track all the time, it's all getting rather dull.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I'm very pleased with these updates. I've been harping on relentlessly about the iMac GPUs and other hardware shortcomings, and all these upgrades across the board (well, mostly) had me dancing a jig.

Now I have to ask myself: Provided these "highly reliable" rumors are correct, do I buy the iMac now that it's got what I asked for in the first place? Or do I wait a few months for the (cooler-running?) dual cores to appear in them?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
broken_keyboard said:

I was super sure I wanted to upgrade my 2003 Dual 2.0 but will have to wait and see now.

The fastest Intel is at 3.8GHz. The 840 is only running at 3.2GHz as far as I know.
When it comes to GHz, I think the Athlon64 is a more appropriate CPU to compare the G5 with. The fastest is currently at 2.6GHz (the FX-55) and the FX-57, running at 2.8GHz, is scheduled for Q2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.