Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faeylyn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
I recommend the Cambridge Soundworks, for ANYONE who is interested in upgrading their current speakers.

For the absolute best sound for your new IBM Power4-based Macintosh, go with Klipsch. http://www.klipsch.com/

Anything else is a toy. There is NO equal.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I was about to mention that. I have never seen an Article Discussion topic that has gone off-topic so quickly on such a big subject, and people seem more interesed in discussing the alternative. :p

Let's sum up what we have for the pre-digression...

My prediction of new PowerMacs once August 13 has arrived, peterjhill saying that they come out the day before at 10:35 PDT, and Megaquad's birthday also being the 13th (although I am afraid that isn't a rumor :D).

If we are going to discuss which stereo system rocks, open up a discussion somewhere else.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The Apple community really needs these powermacs, and the news that they will run in excess of 1.2Ghz is good. Apple needs more than a 200mhz speed bump, and I'm confident that they can do it...

As for people saying that they'll jump to the windoze platform, why are you here? You don't own a Mac just to have the fastest computer on the planet, you own a Mac because they are the best computers on the planet. It's the whole Mac experience (Mac XP :p ) that makes it so much better than anything else.

Now, for my 2¢ on speakers, cambridge soundworks are the best... I have to turn my sub down so it doesn't drown out the other speakers I have hooked up to my computer...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just hope that most of the people who have been guessing at what Apple will have ready will not be damning Apple afterwards, when or if, the new machines do not match up to their wildest dreams.

It seems that everytime we've seen new machines arrive within the past year or so, the stock price goes down because they weren't great enough. The real users may not be thrilled but I'm sure they'll be satisfied. Others will still be caught up in MHz envy.

I'm just hoping for more than a simple step forward. Higher clock speeds would be nice but higher memory throughput, once again, is desirable beyond almost anything else. A bus speed of 166 or 200 MHz with DDR RAM and a faster memory controller would be extremely helpful at this point in time.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I'm going to be very optimistic here :D

I can see Jobs at a special Apple event next week... "IBM's going to officially introduce a scaled down Power4 chip in October, but we're going to unofficially introduce it here, in our new PowerMac G5..."

And then, I woke up...

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
sound sticks

Originally posted by daRAT
Funk,

Hang in there, I really think we will see these new machines within 4 days. I am a pc and Mac user, and from what I am hearing the school buying spree has started, Apple *needs* to offer something new soon.

Mid august would work, this would give a 2 week or so shipping date :]

Question, OT, had anyone had experience with Sound stucks and the iSub ? Is it worth the 200$ to buy them for my Cube and replace the round standard speakers? I do watch all my dvd's on the Cube.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Funk you won't be happy going to a pc after using a mac all your life, stick with Macs :D

My friend has them and they sound good. I had been interested in them myself but never heard them until I stopped by his house. They would go great with a cube also.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
If the recent rumors pan out there will be some nice new machines rolling out onto the sales floors at 10:30am PST Tuesday the 13th.
I'm going to buy the DP if it's a serious step forward, DDR, Mobo redesign. Even better for me would be a mid range DP, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Don't get too excited about seeing 'IBM G5' based Mac's next week... Didn't you guys see Apple's '4th quarter guidance'?!?! Sales for Apple's 4th Quarter (in terms of the company that would be now) Apple is predicting FLAT sales. In other words they ain't expecting a huge POP in sales.

Sorry but that new CPU isn't gonna show up this year...

Dave

Faeylyn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by DaveGee
Don't get too excited about seeing 'IBM G5' based Mac's next week... Didn't you guys see Apple's '4th quarter guidance'?!?! Sales for Apple's 4th Quarter (in terms of the company that would be now) Apple is predicting FLAT sales. In other words they ain't expecting a huge POP in sales.

Dave

Means nothing. Let's say Apple introduces the IBM G5 UberMac on 8/13. On 8/14, Apple comes out with revised guidance stating that they will, after all, see an upswing in sales. It's done all the time.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA

Dave

geeze, you don't have to be so uptight about it... We (or at least I) were being sarcastic. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

That's why realistically, I predict a 1.4-1.5 Ghz G4 with all of the stuff the rumors have provided, like 2 CD drive bays, DDR memory, and stuff like that... What would be nice, though, are dual processors available in all configurations...

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by G4scott
geeze, you don't have to be so uptight about it... We (or at least I) were being sarcastic. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

I was uptight but it wasn't at anyone here... (should have made the more clear) I'm bummed because Apple said FLAT 4Q sales.

Translation: Hardware (whatever it is) will not be blowing anyone away.

And as for lying in a report filed with the SEC about future sales/income is not done all the time... A company can and does re-adjust things from time to time but if Apple does come out with KNOCK-YOUR-SOX-OFF hardware just a few days after reporting sales will be flat they WILL be investigated for trying to mainpulate the stock. This isn't the stock market of the 90's companies are being EXAMINED very closly.

Dave

iMatt

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2002
Even more rebates?

A friend of mine who works at a Apple-authorized retailer told me that Apple is going to introduce a rebate that is exactly the same as the current one (Crystal Clear) and it will run from August 13th till the end of September. Now, I am not a big techie and I don't really follow the development of G5s or any of that as closely as many of you people do here. But do you think that Apple will be holding off the new "G4s" and use the new IBM chip and just ship them even later?

I don't mean to stir up things, but it is possible that we might be faced with yet more delays for the new PowerMacs. There is still a possiblity that they will introduce the new PowerMacs, but I just thought that I will point out that the so-called "FLAT CHANCE" mail-in rebates will be taking place on Monday. So, it is interesting to see if Apple is really releasing new PowerMacs....

agoldweber

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
the crystal ball is getting clearer...

on 8/12 we're looking at new G4s in the same Quicksilver case.

modest speed bump. and either DDR or faster FSB.

we won't see radical changes until new case and motherboards for non OS-9 bootables--likely in Feb of 2003.

...the crystal ball has spoken

Faeylyn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
If Apple's sales are actually going to be flat for this quarter then they will not be releasing ANYTHING until late September at the earliest. That means NOTHING. At least nothing significant. If they released what many think they will, say a dual 1.4GHz G4 + decent bus specs, their sales would most surely NOT be flat. Well, maybe they would because I wouldn't buy one. :)

Another scenario is that they announce in August and don't deliver until September sometime. And another one is that the announce and deliver in August, but only in limited quantities (which they do a lot). Yet another scenario is that they announce and deliver in September. Either of these would mean flat sales. We're already half way through the quarter.

neilt

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ

Dave

From apple's financial faq:
Q: What is Apple's fiscal year and corresponding earnings release dates?
A: Apple's fiscal year 2002 runs from September 30, 2001 to September > 28, 2002. See the calendar of events for a tentative schedule of earnings release dates for FY2002.

----------
So they are saying that sales from June 30 - Sept 30 are going to be flat....
no one was buying before macworld....and they pretty much know that no one will buy until after Aug. 24 (jaguar release), so, are you suprised that they are calling for flat sales during this period?
They can still announce something in august which might be shipping by the end of august (when has anything shipped when announced :rolleyes: ) and sell the crap out of them throught the entire month of september, and still end up with pretty flat sales for the full quarter. If nothing sells for 2/3 of the quarter it doesn't matter how much the sell in the last third, it would take a lot to get good sales for the entire quarter.

We are already half way through this quarter and I would bet apple's sales are way down at this point....not flat. They are going to have to sell alot of computers to get back to flat at this point....so I think you probably can expect something this month.

neilt

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by neilt
We are already half way through this quarter and I would bet apple's sales are way down at this point....not flat. They are going to have to sell alot of computers to get back to flat at this point....so I think you probably can expect something this month.

neilt

Neilt,

THANK YOU!! :D I thought it ran till end of Oct. this does give me some hope after all... Thanks for correcting me.

Not-So-Bummed Dave

non fiction

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2002
Sydney
Re: the crystal ball is getting clearer...

Originally posted by agoldweber
on 8/12 we're looking at new G4s in the same Quicksilver case.

modest speed bump. and either DDR or faster FSB.

we won't see radical changes until new case and motherboards for non OS-9 bootables--likely in Feb of 2003.

...the crystal ball has spoken

I have to agree with agoldweber. IBM power might be round the corner for, but let's be realistic for a moment. It is more than likely we will see a recognizable machine with improvements in all areas. Based on expectation and usual announcement dates, something is due very soon - Aug 13th?. It will not be the peeeceee crusher we are all dreaming of, but it will be another very nice computer from the greatest company on earth.

How many of us have used a dual 1Ghz? I am still living in a beige world down here. I think I would be extremely happy with a current top of the line Quicksilver, and I think the new models will have enough goodies on board to get us all a little wet....

3 days til we all forget we where predicting the 13th and come up with another date to dream about....

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Even more rebates?

Originally posted by iMatt
A friend of mine who works at a Apple-authorized retailer told me that Apple is going to introduce a rebate that is exactly the same as the current one (Crystal Clear) and it will run from August 13th till the end of September. Now, I am not a big techie and I don't really follow the development of G5s or any of that as closely as many of you people do here. But do you think that Apple will be holding off the new "G4s" and use the new IBM chip and just ship them even later?

I don't mean to stir up things, but it is possible that we might be faced with yet more delays for the new PowerMacs. There is still a possiblity that they will introduce the new PowerMacs, but I just thought that I will point out that the so-called "FLAT CHANCE" mail-in rebates will be taking place on Monday. So, it is interesting to see if Apple is really releasing new PowerMacs....

That really doesn't mean a thing. Apple has been running this rebate in one form or another since last fall. Sometimes it was based on which system you bought, sometimes it was based on the monitor. The main reason for the rebate is not really to sell PowerMacs but rather to sell the Studio displays.

How many people here would rather buy a good 19" CRT for ~$400 as opposed to a 17" Studio Display for $999. I personally got a 19" CRT from a friend for ~$200 even though I really wanted the 17" Studio Display.

Also let us not forget that new and reduced price Studio Displays have been floating through the rumor mill.

I'm not sure when exactly the new towers are going to appear, but it has to be soon.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Re: Even more rebates?

Originally posted by iMatt

Dude, your "friend who works at a Apple-authorized retailer" doesn't know jack. Even if he were Steve Jobs' cousin he still wouldn't know anything. Resellers/retailers aren't told anything in advance other than what we are. An employee of a Microcenter told me before the last MWNY that the iBook was going to be revised for the back to school crowd. What an idiot. It was the iMac, just like these good rumor sites predicted.

You can expect new PowerMacs on the 13th. I wouldn't put much faith in what some peeon at CompUSA, MicroCenter, Fry's, or anywhere else tells you.

Panda Genma

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bringing the speaker talk and PMac talk together.

I've noticed a lot of talk about the soundsticks and people wanting to know what are the best speakers for their system, so I thought it was time to speak up. For a good few years now, PC systems have had 5.1 compatible, digital sound mother boards. THX speakers are even available for them. Why has not Apple jumped onto the 5.1 DDS/DTS bandwagon? Being stuck with 2.0 sound is just not cutting it. Wouldn't it be nice if, along with all this hype about how great the audio is on the mac, they had a 5.1 digital out on the mother board of the new powermacs, or released new USB 5.1 speakers? Does anyone agree with me that we've stayed stereo too long? As it is, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha RP-U200 reciever, which has a USB input, and some speakers. MacAddict recommended that one.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Faeylyn
...If they released what many think they will, say a dual 1.4GHz G4 + decent bus specs, their sales would most surely NOT be flat. Well, maybe they would because I wouldn't buy one. :)

...We're already half way through the quarter.

It seems to me your purchase is not going to make or break the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.