Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Why plastic when you can have the Apple leather case? Just curious, love my apple leather case! Pretty much same thickness but much better feel and classey look!

Last edited:

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Cause they tear

Wrong, I take care of mine and do not abuse it. Any leather would be damaged if you drop on cement

And plastic doesn't scratch?? You need an otter box like I told you in another thread:mad:

dsiiist

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Wrong, I take care of mine and do not abuse it. Any leather would be damaged if you drop on cement

And plastic doesn't scratch?? You need an otter box like I told you in another thread:mad:

Trust me dude these cases tear very easily, I literarly pamper my phone

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Trust me dude these cases tear very easily, I literarly pamper my phone

Can't agree. I know more than a few people with the leather cases including myself and not one person complains of "tearing". If anything, the leather gets discolored and worn, but tear? Nope. This is the first I am hearing of this.

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Can't agree. I know more than a few people with the leather cases including myself and not one person complains of "tearing". If anything, the leather gets discolored and worn, but tear? Nope. This is the first I am hearing of this.

YUP:rolleyes:

Taki

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I got a clear matte Force version from Apple Store, but the matte finish started to peel off within a week of use. Not very happy. I'm going to return it or exchange it for a clear one.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
The smoke one has really grown on me. Contacted power support for a warranty replacement and they sent me another one, no questions asked. Not bad.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
So final review on these cases?

Worth it? How is the bumper?

Does it scratch your phone when you put it on/off? Drop test?

Thanks guys. First time paying full price for a phone.. 950 for a phone. I don't consider them phones, hand held computer. But jesus, 950.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
As with all cases, it's a mixed bag with these ones. I did not see any scratches on mine when taking off my first one (the black rubber version) the "force" version from Apple has the lip.

Worth it? Not sure. All iPhone cases are overpriced.

Taki

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I went to Apple Store today and got exchanged my peeling Force to a clear one. I haven't opened it yet, but keeping it as a backup.

Meanwhile I received non-Force Air Jacket in Clear Matte finish directly from Powersupport. Interestingly the matte finish on this one feels very different from the matte finish on Force. I'm going to give this one a try for a while and see if it holds up better.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
PowerSupport iPhone 6 & Plus cases

Did you receive it as a warranty replacement? I'm using a "force" version from the apple store and contacted power support about a replacement and they sent me another "force" version. How does their version differ from mine? Except for the lip?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
So final review on these cases?

Worth it? How is the bumper?

Does it scratch your phone when you put it on/off? Drop test?

Thanks guys. First time paying full price for a phone.. 950 for a phone. I don't consider them phones, hand held computer. But jesus, 950.

love my clear non force version. its the only case i dont constantly want to take it on and off - ive taken it off just once to see how hard it was and to make sure it didnt scratch the phone for peace of mind. mine is very tight with no creaks and has barely any scratches after a good month of use. I do have a good bit of lint along the bottom since that edge goes into my pocket, and just a tiny bit around the other edges, but no lint in the back of the case since it fits so tight.

most definitely a keeper.

Last edited:

Taki

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Did you receive it as a warranty replacement? I'm using a "force" version from the apple store and contacted power support about a replacement and they sent me another "force" version. How does their version differ from mine? Exc0ept for the lip?

I just had a matte 'Force' exchanged at Apple Store where I bought it because I live very close to the store. I explained that the coating started peeling off within a week of purchase, and they verified my receipt and exchanged it. I could just return it, too.

After reading and finding out there are two different designs of Air Jacket on this forum, I separately ordered non-Force version directly from Powersupport. In addition to the lip being smaller, this one has smaller cutout for camera and flash, and easier to put on and off. Also the matte coating has a different texture to touch. It's difficult to describe, but non-Force one feels rougher. I noticed that non-Force version was made in Japan, and Force from Apple Store was made in Korea. I'll post again to let you know if non-Force version retains coating better or not.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
love my clear non force version. its the only case i dont constantly want to take it on and off - ive taken it off just once to see how hard it was and to make sure it didnt scratch the phone for peace of mind. mine is very tight with no creaks and has barely any scratches after a good month of use. I do have a good bit of lint along the bottom since that edge goes into my pocket, and just a tiny bit around the other edges, but no lint in the back of the case since it fits so tight.

most definitely a keeper.

how "wet" is the case? meaning, taking it out of your pocket and putting it back in with no struggle? I want to achieve the feel the iPhone gives me. it just glides in and out. and a phone this big needs that.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
how "wet" is the case? meaning, taking it out of your pocket and putting it back in with no struggle? I want to achieve the feel the iPhone gives me. it just glides in and out. and a phone this big needs that.

zero resistance whatsoever

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013

Dis coloring and wearing?

This is usually referred to as developing a patina on leather goods

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Dis coloring and wearing?

This is usually referred to as developing a patina on leather goods

Whatever the term used, it's a symptom and characteristic of the use of aniline leather and the coloring used.

nthnl

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Need your advice!

So I bought the AJ Force in clear matte at the Sydney Apple store around Christmas and I thought it was the most perfect case for my iPhone 6 silver until the matte exterior started peeling off. The case is also becoming very sticky and dust get stuck onto it every time I put the phone down. Also lint gets trapped around the edges as well and this drives me nuts. I really love the look and feel of this case on the phone though... Should I email PS to request for an exchange and get the non-Force one? I've seen comments that the lip is not protruding as much and the case is not as rubbery or sticky. Anyone else experiencing the matte peeling off?

Please advise! Many thanks in advance :)

PS: I really hate spending so much on cases so I would really like to settle on one asap. I've been considering the Apple leather case but if it was not for the fact that my iPhone is not in space grey, I would have gone for the black leather case. Other colours would wear and tear rather obviously as far as I know and do not really go well with the white front. Any ideas?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I have the smoke color AJ, force version.. I contacted PS for a warranty issue, and they sent me another force version air jacket and not the version they sell directly on their website.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I picked up a clear Air Jacket Force from the Apple Store a week ago. It is going back tomorrow. I can't believe how hard it is to remove. I watched the videos, and they make it look easy, but nothing should be that difficult.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
After you've done it a few times, removing the Air Jacket is pretty easy, IMO.

But yeah, those initial few times were ridiculously difficult. Just gotta make sure to use the same technique every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.