Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shycoy

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2003
France / Reunion Island
great...

but i'd rather wait and see the new processors specs on the Apple website when it's true !!!
but my friends reading your rumors makes me dream about THE Mac.
Well wait and see dear fellows, time will tell...:cool:

nawk

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Re: Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

Originally posted by dongmin
what the hell does that mean, "a twist"?

If the rumor is true, then the twist obviously has something to do with the OS. My guess: the new machines will come with a Beta of Panther (which has 64bit kernel support for the 970) and you'll get the real thing in September.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by GulGnu
As for the 970, it will be interesting to see if Apple goes Dual for the PM:s. Being able to stay single-processor, no longer lagging far behind Intel, the temptation to cut costs by sticking to a mostly SP line must be pretty strong. Oh well, hope they get em out for the WWDC...
Yes and no. I'm not sure a 1.8 GHz will not be faster than a 3.4 P4, but even if it's only close, having a DP model will give Apple the bragging rights of having the fastest consumer towers on the market...assuming they get enough DP software support. I'm all for it -- but I'm all for quad processors. F****'n-a man.

Will Doom III have MP support?!?!?

:eek: DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! ohhhhh yeah....

aasmund

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2002
Trondheim
Re: OK, Maybe it's me...

Originally posted by keithcobbett
I was under the impression that the 970 was quicker than the Power4. Am I not correct in assuming that? I just download the spec sheet that was above on somebody else's post and on Page 13, operating at 1GHz, the 970 was slower than the Power4???? Is this data correct or am I reading it incorrectly??? Please advise.

You are wrong :(

Power4 is enterprise class 64 bit processor, it's competitors are itanium, alpha axp, Sparc etc, much faster than any consumer chip available. it has several megabytes on die cache and the die size is a about 4 times that of the 970 the chip itself is about 3 times larger.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Yes and no. I'm not sure a 1.8 GHz will not be faster than a 3.4 P4, but even if it's only close, having a DP model will give Apple the bragging rights of having the fastest consumer towers on the market...assuming they get enough DP software support. I'm all for it -- but I'm all for quad processors. F****'n-a man.

Will Doom III have MP support?!?!?

:eek: DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! ohhhhh yeah....

Good point, even though they'd be comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. (SP to MP) But what the hell, it's marketing - and if it works, I'm all for it =P (Apple really needs those PM sales)

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

PS.

Quad!?! Hehe, talk about overkill =P Prob with quads is ye're not getting that much more juice out of those last two processors, compared with the first two. But what the... if ye have money to burn...

DS.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Then I wake up in a Cold Sweat

Originally posted by blueBomber
Even still though, I'd love to see Apple bring back the "pentium smoking" campaign

I can think of two twists that would be big enough for Steve.

The first simply has to be my "Then I wake up in a Cold Sweat" prediction from February.

The other is a play on words, but its been mentioned here as the "Blitzkreig" strategy. This play on words would be to describe what Apple's going to do to its competition (BTW, where's Michael Dell been lately? :p), and those words are: "Rip, Mix, Burn".

Now since the RIAA and Steve tells us not steal Intellectual Property or copyrighted works, he will of course need a licence agreement from me to use these ideas. I'm more than happy to oblige, although there is my fee: I do sometimes accept hardware for compensation in lieu of cash, and I'd suggest one new kickin' 970 Mac desktop with a worthy monitor, and one equally kickin' 970 Mac laptop, including OS, Warranty and delivery.

-hh

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

Originally posted by deepkid
Isn't an "unverified rumor" redundant?

A verified rumor then becomes fact.

I disagree... however, I meant to say unverified source in my reply ... as I did in the actual article :)

So, you can extrapolate from that that an "unverified rumor" is a rumor from an "unverified source"...

arn

tgc

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2002
Steve can't demo the 970

:confused:

he can't demo them too far before they're released can he?

If the performance is that much better, sales will plumet .. everyone waiting for them in the store! (me too!)

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
No, an "unverified rumor" is redundant. An oxymoron is self-contradicting, such as holy war.

Edit: Editing your post to reflect my linguistic correction is cheating. You said "oxymoron" and you know it! :p

Come on. I responded and said "Right you are.". :) What's more important is clear communication.

mathiasr

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2003
Strasbourg, France
Re: OK, Maybe it's me...

Originally posted by aasmund

Power4 is enterprise class 64 bit processor, it's competitors are itanium, alpha axp, Sparc etc, much faster than any consumer chip available. it has several megabytes on die cache and the die size is a about 4 times that of the 970 the chip itself is about 3 times larger.
A single POWER4 CPU has 2 cores, sharing around 1.5 MiB of L2 cache and up to 32 MiB of L3 cache:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/hardware/whitepapers/power4.html

A few days ago IBM announced the POWER4+ 1.5 and 1.7 GHz for this summer:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/news/pressreleases/2003/may/annc_506.html

Since the POWER4 is way bigger than the PowerPC 970, this could mean IBM has no problem with its 130 nm process and that the 970 may effectively be in production with good yields and could reach 2.0 GHz sooner than expected.

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

Originally posted by arn
I disagree... however, I meant to say unverified source in my reply ... as I did in the actual article :)

So, you can extrapolate from that that an "unverified rumor" is a rumor from an "unverified source"...

arn

Does an "unverified source" mean a tip from someone that's anonymous?

Even a visible journalist like David Coursey would have to produce hard evidence if he said something like "Apple will introduce the iTablet", or it would come off as op-ed (opinion/editorial) or simply speculation.

So that's why its entertaining when one purveyor of rumors criticizes another; its pot calling kettle.

In general, I think that we tend to get into trouble when people are unable to differentiate between rumor and fact when reading what's said and published.

While its entertaining and fun to read, it could (and has) cause real damage to Apple and others, if not received and handled properly.

ktlx

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Re: Re: OK, Maybe it's me...

Originally posted by aasmund

A lot depends on the details and what you are trying to do.

For 32-bit integer operations, things that are benefited by SIMD units and some floating point operations, the UltraSPARC, POWER4, Itanium, Alpha and MIPS are beaten by the top of the line Pentium 4s. Look at the SPECint results for an example of this. The 64-bit processors mentioned have focused more on enterprise servers and therefore humble any Pentium 4 or G4 for running databases or large simulations. But for raw 32-bit integer calculation performance, nothing beats a Pentium 4 except maybe one of the new Athlon XPs.

But back to the original question. If you are talking about the POWER4 and not the POWER4+ and you are talking about software that runs on only a single core, the original data from IBM leads you to believe the PowerPC 970 is faster than the POWER4 for applications you will see on a desktop. And, if the application can be helped by the SIMD unit, it is likely there is no comparison.

Since IBM just announced taking the POWER4+ to 1.7Ghz, I find it hard to believe the PowerPC 970 at 1.8Ghz is faster in anything not helped by a SIMD unit. I think the huge L3 cache will outweigh everything but the SIMD unit.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Re: Re: interesting times

Originally posted by dongmin
As a comparison, this is what PC users have to look forward to:
(today's top pc-related announcements)

palladium

the iLoo

(could they be making fun of Apple here?)

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it was too funny to pass up...

Best post of the month.

No doubt about it. Laughed my butt off.

benoda

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2003
anyone think the 970 will show up in powerbooks come summer?

i suppose the only statement to support this is "this is the year of the notebook."

IVIIVI4ck3y27

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Lyons, IL
Originally posted by mcs37
There best bet is to blitzkrieg the world with dual PPC970 machines, including dual PPC970 17" PowerBooks. If they wait around for their older machines to sell, they'll only hurt themselves more because people will be waiting for a PPC970 PowerBook (why buy a 1 Ghz G4 PB when you can wait a few months and get a 2 GHz PPC 970 PB?). In order to make a big splash this year ("of the laptop"), they need to throw everything they've got at us immediately. It worked for the Germans!

PPC970 from the information presented on it's specs was going to be too hot for notebooks. I think the laptops will remain G4 for the time being, likely with speed bumps until a future PPC 9xx variant is ready. Likely when they shrink the die size and make it more efficient than it is already (it's almost 1/2 way there now from the specs I saw), which for being a more "desktop-sized" processor (G4 is a small embedded-style processor with a SIMD core on the chip and some other goodies for supporting SMP), I pretty well expect that future variants won't be anywhere near as hot as the G4 laptops which have been ridiculously warm.

I do kind of expect the laptops to get a speed bump to approx. where the desktop G4's are in speed. I do think this is the end of the road for Motorola in Macs after the G4 does it's course. If IBM at any point fails... I figure Apple will move to Intel/AMD. I just don't see IBM failing...

Oh and on Xeon vs. PPC 970 pricing. Are you crazy? If the PPC 970 costs anywhere near what the Xeon does, the base machine will be coming out for around $2k, with the top of the line up around $3-4k for a single processor machine!!! LoL Not only do you have to factor the Xeon processor at $200+ a piece (and that's a rough guesstimate, the low-end quote we saw earlier was around $285), but you have to figure on a Xeon motherboard suitable to the task. Then fans for cooling it. Then the case. It's not just the processor price... it's the total cost of everything involved in making a machine at a factory. Parts aren't the only expenditures involved here... and that's why a low end Xeon isn't dirt cheap.

That isn't to say that a PPC 970 machine won't be damn near as expensive (hoping not)... if not more if all the rumored inclusions and goodies hold true as the motherboard technologies sounds quite amazing IMHO. Yet... my beliefs is the 970, which IBM is hoping to have shipping in it's own line of workstation/light server class machines, will be able to ship these machines in somewhere between June-September. Considering Apple has often dealt with September launches... that's a safe guesstimate, but... considering that the G4 desktop sales have been stagnant, I half-expect to see PPC 970's in the desktops and XServes, while we see all of the iMac/eMac/Powerbook/iBook get speed-bumped G4's... with the consumer desktops going as fast as they can go (with heat withstanding), much as the laptops. I don't foresee dual G4's in laptops unless Motorola has something up their sleeves, and I don't think a PPC 9xx laptop will happen before 2004.

It also makes even more sense (Apple moving to PPC 9xx) when you consider that the main reason IBM didn't sign on for the PowerPC G4 roadmap with Motorola was that they had "NO" interest in SIMD technologies. Linux and AIX don't take advantage of said technologies (very little point, none of the apps would either, and they're geared more towards servers where ::gasping:: as noted earlier, most server processors like Power4 and Itanium aren't focused on; comparing them to Pentium/Celeron, Athlon/Duron, and PowerPC is like comparing Hummer H2's to Ducati 999's; different applications, and both are performers in their classes at a specific pricepoint), and place more of their focus on ramped up processor speeds and focuses in other areas in terms of hardware and chip design. IBM's own 64-bit G3 (yes G3; IBM's had 64-bit chips dating back to the PowerPC 615, which was around the time of the 601, 602 [used in the Bandai Pippin @world], 603, and 604 computer processors and the various 5xx embedded chipsets) machines were more of a testament to this, as the 32-bit G3 was more for embedded... which if you really do your research, the G3 is one of the faster embedded-class processors you can find in terms of processor speed. Not that ARM is slow for it's application... it's just designed for a different application of the embedded market.

So the PPC 970 to me sits between the Pentium 4 and the Pentium 4 Xeon (faster than the P4, but slower than the Xeon at least at the initial Mhz, but working favorably for servers where the Xeon is not as strong; which works to IBM's and Apple's favor), while providing tremendous ability to scale, and likely at a more affordable pricepoint. I don't expect a PPC 970 PowerMac to sell for significantly more than the current Pro line. If not, I don't see it being viable until the prices come down.

The SIMD points an Apple tie is "IMMINENT", and pointed that as soon as I read that IBM was including one in the PPC 970. It was like a flag went off and it was obvious that Apple was involved. Since there's not a single "CONSUMER" Linux variant that uses SIMD, and there's not much inkling to support said technologies within the core of the system when you're dealing with a codebase designed to be ported for more workstation/server level stuff (across multiple platforms)... it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

The information released on MacAddict months ago added to the credibility of the rumor, when an IBM engineer spoke of faster yields and a summer launch for IBM machines. The information was "SWIFTLY" removed from the site... but by that time it was caught and printed. Just about every Mac rumors site was hopping with the info... and considering the information, it was a no-brainer. Apple cannot afford to make a major transition to anything right now, it's too soon. The fact the PPC 970 will read legacy code, and can be modified to be 64-bit savvy works well with Apple's XServe range of light servers, and works well as a workstation/desktop processor. Over time, I feel it'll make a great laptop processor as well.

To me it's not a question of "if" but "when". I figure before Christmas (after all, the shopping season leading up to Christmas is a big time for Apple, and could bolster their sales by setting Apple sailing into 2003 on a huuuuuuuuuuuge positive note, spurred by the new laptops from earlier this year, the iPod updates, the new iTunes Apple music store, and into 2004 with new PPC 9xx laptops, PPC 9xx consumer desktops, speedbumps to the new PPC 970 desktops, any other iDevices, and iTunes for Windows with Apple's iTunes Music store), but I'm not going to go out on MacBidouille's limb and say "Next day". Then again... as long as we've sat without a major change, I'm sure Apple's been doing more R&D than you can shake a stick at to get this out there. It might release then... it might release later... as long as "SOMETHING" releases though, it'll be good, no matter when it happens.

My guess is... if Apple indeed moves to PPC 970, which I expect, unless the hardware is ready by WWDC, we may not hear a whisper of it... but we may see remnants in early Panther builds (if Apple gives one out, which I'm skeptical on) that leak out. Apple wouldn't want to announce the move to PPC 970 before it happens, for the hopes they can milk a few more G4 sales up until the machines actually launch. Which could be late August or September.

So what I'm saying is... don't get too ramped up or wound up to get disappointed, but just go in knowing that this is more than likely the direction. It's just a matter of "when", not "if" it will happen, as I said earlier. If it happens by the end of the year... it's a "GREAT" thing. If it happens by Q2 of 2004, it's a "GOOD" thing... any later... and we'll be playing catch-up still, but at least we're playing catch-up with someone that has some interest in doing so. We don't need to be as fast or faster... just as long as we're "close", that's the important detail. Apple could easily rework OS X to be more efficient via threading (comparing OS X or XP to BeOS shows what I mean)... and the speed difference would go in our favor. It's not just raw processing power... it's how you maximize the power that's the big issue. OS X still has some areas it could be honed... and that could make all of the difference.

Hopefully the Panther/PPC 9xx combo brings us to the forefront. :)

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Originally posted by IVIIVI4ck3y27
PPC970 from the information presented on it's specs was going to be too hot for notebooks. I think the laptops will remain G4 for the time being, likely with speed bumps until a future PPC 9xx variant is ready. Likely when they shrink the die size and make it more efficient than it is already (it's almost 1/2 way there now from the specs I saw), which for being a more "desktop-sized" processor (G4 is a small embedded-style processor with a SIMD core on the chip and some other goodies for supporting SMP), I pretty well expect that future variants won't be anywhere near as hot as the G4 laptops which have been ridiculously warm.

Is this true? According to official IBM documentation, they pegged the 1.2 Ghz 970 at 19W, which is significantly cooler than the ~30W consumed by the current G4.

Keep in mind that 1.2 Ghz would be a speed bump for the PowerBook line, especially given that the 970 trounces the G4 on a per clock basis. (In other words, my point is, the laptops can't use the hotter 1.8 Ghz part, but the 1.2 would seem to be a good fit.)

Or is power consumption not necessarily related to heat dissipation? Or would it be the requirements of HyperTransport and DDR RAM that would be problematic?

According to the IBM docs I read, it would seem to me that this is the best possible notebook chip for Apple right now...unless my knowledge of how the chip interacts with everything is flaky.

IVIIVI4ck3y27

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Lyons, IL
I believe the PPC 970 is hotter than the "laptop versions" of the G4

Last I read/interpreted... the G4's you are referring to are the desktop models (30w) for heat dissipation, while the laptop G4's are cooler than the 19w PPC 970 (I swear someone said like 12w for the current G4 laptops, the iBook is like 7w from what I read in that same thread/post). So the PPC 970, as it seems, is halfway there... if this indeed holds true. That's what I was making light of in the previous posting, when I said "they're halfway there already" in terms of heat, because I swore they were hotter than the hottest G4 laptop processor, but cooler than the hottest desktop G4 processor. Yes, there are different models of G4, so you have to check which one's which. I'm not sure how accurate the above is, but it's what I read somewhere and I just assumed it correct from the source that posted it. Mind you, the heat in the current G4's is said to be pretty overbearing, if it's really 12w, while the 7w iBook is said to be imperceptible almost. If the 9xx scales in heat very well, by next generation (assuming all of the above to be correct) it'd be a great laptop processor if they can eek out considerable more efficiency.

If not and the above was wrong (can't remember where I read it), then who knows... very well might see a 970 in just about everything, but something tells me it's not very likely. Not just for the heat reasons (although that's obvious), if they're true, but it's a matter of how many chips IBM's planning on running off too at one time until they get things chugging along (and mind you, IBM's going to be using these in their own servers too so that'll cut into what's available to Apple too).

I doubt we'll see Apple redo the whole line to new chips all at once, especially with just launching the revised eMac, which tells me that we'll likely see a new eMac sometimes in mid-late 2004. Maybe the iBook goes G4 with the eMac, and the iMac, with the iMac and eMac moving to 9xx next year.

Then the Powerbook (maybe not right away, as they just launched the G4 12" and 17" models, and there's bound to be a replacement for the Ti laptops soon), Desktops, and XServes go PPC 970... but my wager is from both a yield standpoint (how many 970's is Apple buying right off the bat? How many is IBM to use in their machines? How much is Apple willing to commit to the new processor off the bat when there's the potential for bugs with first gen. releases? How big is IBM's production facility? etc. etc.), as well as a costs standpoint.

For Powerbooks it might be feasible (although right now, doubtful)... but iBook? Not likely... eMac? Not likely... and they just launched Powerbooks a few months back, the desktops to me are lonnnnnng overdue and the first to get the new processors, and between them and the XServes, they're the most likely for a major update because they're the highest of the high end of the line, and the most suitable for major grunt power beyond efficiency, which the 970 promises.

So I figure uprated XServes are a given since they're the one's that could best maximize the 64-bit side... and help make Apple a very strong entry-level server option.

Followed by the Pro Desktops and their desktop-based Server variants which are a given with their sluggish sales and their professional-level need in design houses.

I figure Apple will likely reserve 970's strictly for high end workstations/servers, and leave consumer desktops to G4 for the time being. "ESPECIALLY" if the heat stuff that I'd read (can't remember where I read it, but I'd heard someone mention that when the PPC 9xx moves to a smaller die size, it'll be cooler and more suitable for laptops [someone blathered something about PPC 980 being just this when I saw it]) holds true, which I swear someone told me that the G4, while cooler than it's PC brethren in the laptop industry (where fried laps are the norm), at it's most efficient "Powerbook" variations are still cooler than the coolest PPC 9xx.

It's just that the desktop G4's that we're seeing right now are WAAAAAAAY too hot for laptops. That's also why it's not very likely to see them in laptops when the pro desktop models move to PPC 970 IMHO. The laptops will likely require a shrunken die 9xx down the road or a shrunken die G4 uprated on speed (as in, right when the 970 machines ship). Either are likely... but I figure the shrunken die G4 is more likely quicker, while the 9xx likely would be mid-late 2004 I'd guess.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
This is all so out of control. When has any rumor site ever been correct weeks or months in advance. Hmmm, can't think of anytime and I've been following all the rumor sites for the last 8 years or so.

ultrafiel

macrumors member
May 19, 2002
Plan to get a free 970

Ok, if PowerMac 970s are released in June, there is a simple way to get one for basically free. All you have to do is buy enough shares of Apple Stock right now, and sell it a few weeks/months after the 970 comes out. You should make enough to get one of those machines. I contribute this to the fact that basically 2/3 (or more) of the posters on this board and elsewhere said they will buy one. I will be really tempted to do so also.

IVIIVI4ck3y27

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Lyons, IL
Depends on how vague some of the rumors are, some are so logical rog that they fit like a puzzle. Then again, some information being "FACT" paints the picture quite nicely. I'm not arguing specs for everything... just arguing that the facts are there, the evidence is pointing it as such, and what it looks like or when it ships is still "Rampant speculation".

True, most stuff is kept so tightly under wraps it's hard to get a hold of, but the IBM deal isn't just a passing whim and wasn't a "RUMOR" but a factual tidbit that was presented by IBM to the masses. As in, it wasn't hidden. Therefore... if you can put 2 + 2 together... 4 comes screaming out in a hurry when you get the ol' comprehension working.

If they're releasing processors that are announced with AltiVec-compatible SIMD technology, which they "ARE" (not a matter of *IF* but *WHEN*)... it's obvious "WHY". There's not many other applications for this technology, it's obvious Motorola is lagging behind. It's obvious Apple's not primed and ready for a change to Intel/AMD (not an easy port with Carbon hanging around [ask Quark and Adobe]; and what of supporting the old PPC platform as well as the x86 platform at the same time... it'd be a mess). It's obvious from IBM's previous lack of interest in SIMD (it's why they split from the G4 roadmap ::gasping::) that something had to change their mind; since they continued to evolve the G3 in both 32-bit and 64-bit form with more emphasis on 64-bit for their servers; especially with Apple "HOPING" to bank the farm on G4 (which didn't work bad, but not as much as Apple had hoped). It's obvious that Linux/AIX isn't geared towards SIMD nor does SIMD have any viable rationale to IBM as a whole as they're not a "WORKSTATION" company on anything but ::gasping:: Intel, where MMX is available, and where Windows XP takes advantage of it.

Yet for Apple:

OS X uses a lot of AltiVec calls just in the system alone, being that ubiquitous "VELOCITY ENGINE" They always taunt.

64-bit benefits both IBM and Apple in servers, like Apple's XServe. The fact that it's MP-capable, means we could be seeing Dual Processor Servers and Workstations. IBM might even go crazy and use more...

Having another customer to offset the costs benefits IBM, as it reduces development costs and gives them a customer to recoup some of the investment in the technology. IBM lost quite a bit of this when they ixnayed on the G4, and if Apple dumps PowerPC altogether... they'd lose out "COMPLETELY". Apple supporting multiple processor platforms? Not likely. Most people aren't as stupid as Dvorak, and most can see how counter productive this truly is. More likely to see an evolution of the rumored PowerPC 615 technology that fused a x86 core into a 64-bit PPC. Once again... didn't happen then, not too likely now. The added cost and inefficiencies would make it more of a nightmare than sorting the G4 out was for Motorola.

Apple needs an alternative to the ever-slipping Motorola, who struggles with G4's and has from last information I saw... killed the G5. If Apple sticks with Motorola... what are they going to run? G4's? What comes after that? How do you keep pace with your competition?

Answer: You don't.

The PPC 970 is reverse compatible with the previous Apple processors, meaning it can run 32-bit code as is, like... RIGHT NOW. Moving to anything else would require more rewriting of the OS, porting of applications "YET AGAIN", etc. etc. Not a fun task when you just "FINALLY" are setting up shop on PPC, and still have yet to optimize some of the threadings in the system.

So, like I said prior... I don't want anyone on this thread to go out saying "WHOOPEEEE PPC 970 MACHINES TOMORROW! I'M ORDERING!!", but I am saying that if you pay attention to what's going on... it's quite obvious which direction things are going in. SIMD is of little use to IBM as there's not enough applications (much less an Operating System) to make usage of it, and it's not an area that IBM focuses much on. Their workstations are mostly Intel-based, running XP (MMX with support from Microsoft, who is the leading workstation vendor out there with the many CAD and Rendering programs out there running on it). Their servers however run on all manners of processors, and use either Linux or XP on their Itanium line, or AIX or Linux on their PowerPC, or Power4 line. Then they have a whole gamut that use other server OS's that are non-PPC/Power but IBM designed nonetheless.

None of which need SIMD.

Linux/POSIX apps. are written to be portable. They rarely call anything specific in terms of assembly-style code (in fact, Unix is a derivative of C). SIMD units in and of themselves are vector processors that are unique to their platform. This doesn't fall into line with Linux/POSIX apps... and a big part of why IBM avoided it in the past.

Get the message?

Who else could want a large desktop-sized processor that's more geared towards servers or workstations, that has a unique non-x86 architecture and works with SIMD?

Not Microsoft... they ditched on PowerPC after NT4.

BeOS? Done. They were focusing on Intel/AMD anyhow...

Palm? They're moving to ARM. Plus this would be farrrrrrrr too inefficient for PDA's. Even the G3 is out of it's league in this area, where Digital DNA (another Motorola chipset) is more geared.

So that's the point... this isn't as much a rumor as it is a fact that fits in a certain place that "NOONE" is talking about, at least not within the companies anyhow. LOGIC dictates where it's going... but what the final piece looks like is a mystery.

Yet if you tabulate and look at things as they stand...

Apple recently launched new Powerbooks, with the Ti laptops due to be changed, it's only a matter of time I feel before Apple launches the mid-level Aluminum Powerbook to slot between the 12" and 17" models and replace the Titanium model. This might even come around the time Apple ups the processor speeds, which I expect more than a processor switch.

Apple just launched new eMacs with "BRAND NEW" motherboard architectures... which to me means it's not highly likely for a drastic change for a bit.

Apple will likely launch new iMacs with updated innards...

The machines that haven't been updated much?

Desktops. Lonnnnnng overdue, and slow-selling. The area that is most awaited. When you compare the G4 to the P4, it's losing ground fast. Even the AMD low-end offerings (Duron) are closing in on the G4. The G4 is still comparable to the PC laptop market, but in the desktop... they're behind *RIGHT NOW*. The Mac as an OS is a better OS, but with the hardware it's saddled with... ounce for ounce, the G4 with a superior OS is getting beat at some tasks in the hallmark apps like Photoshop and After Effects/Premiere to what Apple can do with Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and After Effects on Mac. That's a biggggggggg deal when this is your market.

The XServes were recently updated, but if the desktop is more powerful than your servers... you might have problems. Plus the 64-bit nature of the processor would help with server-based functionality in terms of storage and database number crunching. This is the "HIGH END" of AphÕj‘ so it's only logical that they will be replaced faster if something new processor-wise comes along that is more powerful.

iBooks. They're still on G3's, and I'm pretty sure they're bound for a lower-end G4 here soon. If it is faster than the Powerbook line... why would anyone buy the Powerbook? It might even share it's architecture with the Powerbook lineup that's out there now, just coming with slower processors and a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM vs. getting a Superdrive or Combo drive like the Powerbook lineup. It however might be available with a Combo drive as an option on a model or something. I just doubt we'll see Apple selling these things for a hefty price, and I doubt Superdrives will be an option "RIGHT NOW".

It's not rocket science. I'm not discussing enclosure designs, not saying anything about Cube shaped desktops or all aluminum enclosures. It's the simple stuff that you can just logically piece together based on what's out there. IBM has no reason to be adding SIMD to a processor lineup if they're not courting a customer that can actually make usage of it. The fact that IBM themselves have said that "IT IS" backwards compatible with AltiVec also has to make you scratch your head. This isn't "RUMOR" or "SPECULATION" but "FACT".

IBM will use the PPC 970 (AS IS) but... will they make usage of the SIMD portion?

I don't think so.

Yet, having it on the chipset helps Apple out, offsets some of the costs, and gives IBM a bigger slice of a pie that they once held a larger share of. Now they might have the whole damn pie before too long, while Motorola sits on the outside looking in, perhaps even leaving the PowerPC fray as a PC processor maker, and just focusing their efforts on embedded applications, which is actually a bigger market than Apple believe it or not. IBM isn't so much embedded with their chips, and is a better fit to Apple. Always was, always will be. After all, the Power in PowerPC comes from the fact that the PowerPC was based on the Power line of processors, like the Power3 and Power4 and forthcoming Power5. IBM is more geared towards servers because, for them, that's where the $ is at. Much as it is for Sun. Much as it is for SGI, HP, Intel (Itanium), et al.

So like I said... it's a "WHEN" not an "IF"... but that could be anytime from WWDC to Q2 2004. Don't get all hyped, but if Apple can release with a September date at the latest... that's in the prime shopping time of the year (Christmas) and would help Apple "STRONGLY" on sales into 2004.

Shaktai

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Puget Sound
Latest from MacBidouille

Here is the latest tidbits from MacBidouille, quoting a different source:

The mother charts PPC 970 would have 6 NCV in addition to the AGP and can be a chart Its 5.1. The Bus would be well given rhythm to 200 MHz with support of GDR 3200. (note except rumour: the 6 NCV can explain information on a chart all in length)

According to an internal source with IBM, the PPC 970 much will surprise the public. (the collection of this information is former to the publication of the benchs).

If I understand this correctly, that is 6 PCI slots plus an AGP running at 200mhz bus and PC3200 RAM.

Seems to me, that one of the future stumbling blocks for the 970 may be getting "fast enough" affordable RAM to keep up. Then of course other manufacturers will face the same problem. I suspect IBM and Apple are already on top of that challenge though.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.