Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Played on my G3/500:

Hyyjtus.png

00AKoAD.png

Wxg7FyF.png

esVv0HK.png

Dnp7UhF.png

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
:p Nope @z970mp I'm moving onto this:

pWmqWMt.png

A fantastic remake of Nebulus - an 80s puzzle-action platformer masterpiece that was widely ported and better known outside of the UK under alternate titles including Tower Toppler. Frustratingly and fiendishly difficult but simultaneously compellingly challenging.

I've played this on my G3/500 and to increase the performance, I changed the resolution to 640x480 in System Preferences and then ran the game in full screen mode. It suffers from occasional slow down when the tower's 3D effect is being rotated and the submersible bonus levels crawl along but this shouldn't be a problem on faster machines - particularly G4s and G5s.

You can download the PPC version from here if you'd like to check it out.

Md2p5gI.png

qYdvvpu.png
Aln3ond.png

KISNZzE.png

N1woBME.png

B0609uP.png

kkcFFUF.png

GXELyBn.png

UNyYjvT.png

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Oolite: essentially a remake of the seminal 80s UK epic, Elite. Which needs no introduction, right? I'm running V1.65 on my G3/500. All releases from 1.77 onwards require Intel Macs. You can find the older versions here.

JkqWHg9.png

2EQfMhQ.png

sXnMADA.png

zIUJ1lr.png

5iKFkRu.png

Reactions: Melchieor

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
This, I really like. Fast, fun and frenetic. It runs like a champ on my G3.
I must do a mega UP on this. I think this Pacman variant is better than the original one. I absolutely adore Pac the Man X for Mac, at the point that I have searched all over the web to find a way to run it on Windows, without success. I do not own a Mac by now so I really miss this game.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I must do a mega UP on this. I think this Pacman variant is better than the original one. I absolutely adore Pac the Man X for Mac, at the point that I have searched all over the web to find a way to run it on Windows, without success. I do not own a Mac by now so I really miss this game.

Have you tried the Pac PC games by Jrok? If not, have a look here. They'll need something like DOSBOX. The only downside is that rather than use a full screen playing field, the game scrolls vertically - which means you can't always see the position of the ghosts or remaining dots to be eaten.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
On my G3: I had initially tried to use the Level 9 Interpreter but it wouldn't load the actual games from the original releases, even though the documentation states that it can accomplish this and I couldn't find the supposed data files that it mentions online.

LljcPT6.png

w0YRHSG.png

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Played on my G3/500. A nice tribute to the likes of Montezuma's Revenge from the platforming/puzzle genre.

hfQdflz.png

Gn73ofF.png

RqKpDto.png

hYTXpJ2.png

zhucQSB.png

UnKsvbO.png

I couldn't get the HD version to work: it probably requires a more powerful GPU. According to a post on MacGarden, the programmer is not providing the registration codes for the full version when a purchase is made and from what I've seen during a visit to the forum, they do not appear to be active. A shame because this demo is really fun.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Only on a gaming thread could you ever go from DOOM to Bub & Bob 2...

...And then probably back to DOOM. :D

Does this count? :cool:

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 7.51.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 7.51.30 PM.png

BOOM is a Bomberman / DOOM crossover.

BOOM runs on System 7.0 or later and works well on my PowerBook 1400/166. Also, as seen here in the screenshots, it plays perfectly fine in Sheepshaver Mac OS 9.1. :)

A fantastic remake of Nebulus - an 80s puzzle-action platformer masterpiece that was widely ported and better known outside of the UK under alternate titles including Tower Toppler. Frustratingly and fiendishly difficult but simultaneously compellingly challenging.

I remember Nebulus on the Atari ST. I think I was probably playing this in the early 90s :D

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Does this count? :cool:

View attachment 885364
View attachment 885365
BOOM is a Bomberman / DOOM crossover.

BOOM runs on System 7.0 or later and works well on my PowerBook 1400/166. Also, as seen here in the screenshots, it plays perfectly fine in Sheepshaver Mac OS 9.1. :)

I shall check that out when I restore the OS 9 partition on my Sawtooth and/or iBook. Classic is no substitute when it involves gaming.

I remember Nebulus on the Atari ST. I think I was probably playing this in the early 90s :D

Likewise for me on the C64 in the late 80s and during the early 2000s, on MS-DOS with the EGA version. I think that I mentioned in another thread that I have quite a few ST's: including the original 1985 model that came with a separate FDD unit. I miss the diversity of computing platforms that we had in the 80s and 90s. Everything nowadays has been consolidated into a handful of hardware choices.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
A second - and much more recent Mac remake of Head over Heels that might interest @Alex_K :)

Played on my G3/500, which I've used for much of this thread as a lowest common denominator tester in order to gauge the performance results on modest hardware and in turn an indication of mileage. Anything that works well on this, should be superb on more powerful PPC Macs.

This is the 31st anniversary release and it can be found here.

pYyBSBl.png

IDITXtg.png

8SwYpM3.png

x1TtQf4.png

Sqx6B11.png

QjFN62P.png

1abO97P.png

Reactions: Alex_K

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Have you tried the Pac PC games by Jrok? If not, have a look here. They'll need something like DOSBOX. The only downside is that rather than use a full screen playing field, the game scrolls vertically - which means you can't always see the position of the ghosts or remaining dots to be eaten.

Thanks a lot! This is THE ORIGINAL Pac-Man ported to pc. I just tried it, maybe the framerate is a bit unstable, but it is definitely fun :)

Reactions: TheShortTimer

sasho648

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2020
I'm trying to play Amnesia The Dark Descent on my PowerMac 7,2 dual core @2.0Ghz with Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB.

I'm experiencing random freezes which require hard reboot - the same I did with my original 9600 128MB.

I'm thinking maybe to install older version of 10.5.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm trying to play Amnesia The Dark Descent on my PowerMac 7,2 dual core @2.0Ghz with Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB.

I'm experiencing random freezes which require hard reboot - the same I did with my original 9600 128MB.

I'm thinking maybe to install older version of 10.5.

Did you have any luck with that?

Via MacMame on my Sawtooth:

77If9aj.png

jCLahgP.png

5fS88LU.png

8XNJKpJ.png

Found myself well and truly out of practice with this - even with the difficulty set to normal. I'd love to compile an up to date Mac PPC command line release of MAME that is compatible with Tiger that could be shared for all to enjoy. This isn't my field but I'm willing to give it a try. Would anyone be prepared to give me guidance if I decided to take a stab at it? :)

Reactions: AphoticD

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Again via MacMAME on the Sawtooth:

tA5Iq8J.png

A20dKoa.png

J0A8yUu.png

jROaaci.png

A childhood fave, this game is absolutely cracking, a real joy to play. The premise is simple but it's so well executed and the programmers really paid attention to details such as gravity, speed and other physics related dynamics. This was towards the tail end of the golden age of arcade gaming when the onus was on your ability as a player to rack up an impressive high score and a lengthy play time.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Again via MacMAME on the Sawtooth:

tA5Iq8J.png

A20dKoa.png

J0A8yUu.png

jROaaci.png

A childhood fave, this game is absolutely cracking, a real joy to play. The premise is simple but it's so well executed and the programmers really paid attention to details such as gravity, speed and other physics related dynamics. This was towards the tail end of the golden age of arcade gaming when the onus was on your ability as a player to rack up an impressive high score and a lengthy play time.

Loved this title as well. It was a rare one too to find in the wild. The only place I knew of in the mid to late 80’s where one could play it was at the local roller skating rink - the rollerdrome. That one and the original paperboy with the bike handle controls.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Loved this title as well. It was a rare one too to find in the wild. The only place I knew of in the mid to late 80’s where one could play it was at the local roller skating rink - the rollerdrome. That one and the original paperboy with the bike handle controls.

I knew of two machines during the late 80s in my region of London that were within a mile of each other.

One even had the flight yoke controller - similar to what's shown here what's shown here:

26993905246_399af7cf26_b.jpg

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
So I have plans to set up my Mac Mini as an OS X games machine. Can you link me to/tell me what you would recommend? I already am planning to put Doom 3, Halo, and UT2004 on it. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
@RogerWilco6502 It depends on what kinds of games and gaming you're into.

Others will hopefully weigh in with their own advice. Personally I'd recommend having a look at the titles have been shared and discussed in this thread and seeing if any of them are to your liking. :)

Reactions: RogerWilco6502
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.