Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Nikon D40
Nikon D60
Nikon D80
Nikon D90
Nikon D300
Nikon D300s
Nikon D3000
Nikon D5000

(I'm a Nikon kinda guy)

The D300 is CF only. The D50 also uses SD cards.

All current Pentax bodies use SD, not sure about the older ones.

As for Canon, the 450D, 500D, and 1000D use SD cards.

Sony's a#30 and 5#0 series bodies also support SD cards.

All EVIL cameras use SD cards.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've used it quite a bit myself, I have a handful of 16gb SD's and their great for tiny storage and like many others have posted, my Canon DSLR, daughters samsung point n shoot, wifes dslr all use SD's. All take tons of photos so this being built in has been far more useful to me than fumbling with added cables or xtra devices. As for the express slot, personally I've owned multiple laptops since the late 90's most all had express slots and I never once used it.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I am not an expert, but I think that SD card format (including or excluding all SD variants- mini, micro and etc) is the most wide spread in the world. Connecting device via USB works too, but it is usually slower. Plus you have to carry cords. On the other hand I hate to see not a flush slot. Express card technology is quite old and extinct. Besides how long lifespan laptops endure? 3-5 year?

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
The D300 is CF only. The D50 also uses SD cards.

All current Pentax bodies use SD, not sure about the older ones.

As for Canon, the 450D, 500D, and 1000D use SD cards.

Sony's a#30 and 5#0 series bodies also support SD cards.

All EVIL cameras use SD cards.

*hugs D90 with the sandisk extreme 3 16GB SD card*

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
You're terrible. We all know you desire the express technology for other reasons; don't deny it :D

Habitus :apple:

On all my old ThinkPads, I only ever used the PCMIA slot for WiFi cards when those came out. So, yeah.... I have no use for ExpressCard. I would if Apple took out FW again, but that's not happening. lol

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
32GB SD cards go for $35 on ebay.

not too bad...

maybe in the future 64GB & 128GB SD cards!

open up more functionality to the little cards with the big storage...

when the cards get to 64 and 128 they will be quite a capable storage system for their physical size...entire system backups could be stored on a SD card that is not much bigger than a postage stamp.

Make their speed faster, and wow, again think about it: a 128 GB Solid State Drive in the form of a tiny SD card....

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would use the SD Card slot a lot more if there was an option in iPhoto that would cause iPhoto to recognize the SD Card in the same way as it recognizes a camera when you connect it via USB.

errin

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
I can't see why they put it in the 15", when an ExpressCard slot is more versatile.

That's why I rushed to get an early 2009 on closeout when the new crap was announced.

I did that too. :D

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I use mine (granted I have an iMac now, but I had a 13" MBP in the past) and I use it quite frequently with my DSLR. Other than that though, I never use it.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think I would prefer the express card slot, don't really use the SD slot... but I guess people who do a lot of digital pictures would.

But they of course could buy an inexpensive SD card reader for their ExpressCard slot.... This would leave others the flexibility of using the ExpressCard slot for whatever other purposes.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Panasonic already announced 48 and 64 GB SDXC cards that current MBPs can't support.

Hence the crux of the argument. (Well; one of them anyway). Having a port become obsolete by the inevitable new standard that comes out. I'd rather have an expresscard slot that already outstrips speed for the forseeable future instead of have my SDHCHD123 slot incompatible with all my new SDHCHD123MPGABC cards.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
i use it quite a bit to transfer files back and forth between an HP laptop and my MBP. It's allot faster than using CDs or trying to figure out how to transfer them via WiFi. It's not too easy between a Windows computer and and a Mac.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The SD card slot is why I haven't upgraded my Macbook Pro since they changed from the ExpressCard slot.

I can't see the use of it and my current computer is more versatile.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
You really don't want to get us started on the non-pro design elements and features of apple computers. Especially compared to thinkpads and HP Elitebooks.

:p
No thanks.
My point is more that express card slot is more versatile and thus make it more "Pro".
A SD card slot are of limited use compared to an Express card slot. It´s a downgrade, but you don´t want to get me started on how Apple downgrade it´s products, do you?

Anyway, I´m so tied in to Apple´s software, that changing to a new platform is out of the question, even for an Express card slot AND Blu-Ray burner.
;)

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I just like being able to use any express card accessories with my MBP. I have an ESATA card that I have yet to use and a card reader that is pretty neat. It sits flush with the unibody so I usually leave it in most of the time. I'm in slight hate with Apple for dropping it. I think they should have pushed the accessory cards better. Either that or start offering some decent connectivity options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.