Pre-order or pickup in store?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by twoodcc, Oct 16, 2007.

?

Pre-order or pickup at apple store?

1. Pre-order

85 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. get it at Apple store party

39 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. not getting it at launch

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

which are you gonna do? it's like i want to preorder so i get it, but also i want to go to the local apple store and get it there.

EDIT: of course, i'm talking about Leopard here :)

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think it's a blast to buy at the Apple Store right when they officially launch. The stores do an awesome job creating a great sense of occasion and you'll be surrounded by fellow Mac geeks. It's a fun vibe.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's what i was thinking. but then again, you have to wait til 6 pm, and wait in line.....and i really don't like waiting....

4. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

can't pre-order as UPS would try to deliver while I'm at work and would mean a 75 mile round trip to collect from the UPS depot. But as I work only a 100 yards or so from the Birmingham Apple store will get it from there.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

come on come on, i need some more votes please.

and more from people who went to an apple store for tiger

6. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

Originally I'd planned to get it at my local Apple Authorised Reseller but they said that they can't guarantee when their stocks will arrive. I even phoned the local Apple Retail Store (which would be a 46 mile round trip) who (unbelievably) said that they're not taking pre-orders but perhaps I could phone back next week to see if they've changed their minds.

Do what?! So I've now thought s*d it and pre-ordered from the on-line Apple Store instead.

I bought Tiger when it had been out for a while so this is my first experience of getting a new Apple OS on release, however I've read on other threads on this site that the deliveries arrive pretty swiftly - but this may be related to the US I've no idea how fast the delivery is here in the UK. I called the Apple Store's freephone number and the woman I spoke to didn't even know that the 26th was a Friday (we ALL know it's a Friday, eh lads?) and she said it would take "a few days" to arrive. Yeah, right, thanks for that... :rolleyes:

Hey - who knows. It'll get here when it gets here and if it's not by that first weekend at least it'll give others more time to report any bugs (only joking if you're planning on flaming that comment!!)

7. fcodc macrumors newbie

fcodc

I know I'll definitely be at my local Apple Store (La Cantera)!

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well if i think the apple store will sell out, then i would pre-order it. i guess i better call the store this week and see

9. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well, I would love to get it at the store, but could it happen that the store would run out of stock on the first day?

Also I heard they are giving out leopard stuffed animals with their software bought at the stores, that my kid would love. Which would you buy from now? Store or Online?

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I may just do both. Why not wait in line with leopard? I'll prolly just pick it up at the store though.

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah that's what i'm afraid of. does anyone think they'll sell out? i really don't think so, but i guess it's possible.

and yeah it would be nice to get the leopard with leopard :p

i could do both. byol?

12. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

I'll be pre-ordering it. If delivery will be on the 26th and there isn't going to be a 6 PM launch part, I see no reason to get it in the store.

Though the temptation to get off of work at 5 and head 5 blocks north to hit up Apple Fifth Avenue will be great, I'm sure.

13. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

but isn't there supposed to be a 6PM launch party ?

14. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I'm pre ordering. I had previously preordered Panther, for Tiger's launch I went to the store for the launch party. It was fun hanging out in line and talking to people but I'm not sure it was worth it.

I'd rather have it delivered (possibly even a day early) and ready to install when I get home from work.

15. projectle macrumors 6502

As I see it, I already pre-ordered it when I bought my ADC subscription.

I will certainly end up buying it when I head into town, though as it is EXTREMELY helpful to have a physical copy around... (just in case).

That probably won't be until mid-november, though

16. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well, I broke down and pre-ordered it. I decided I would not want to take the chance of them running out of the software at the store level, (not that it would happen) and well besides, I hate waiting in long lines. ;)

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's what i can't decide between. but you do get a leopard tshirt at the store though

i do hate waiting in long lines

18. esco macrumors 6502

esco

Would you get Leopard earlier in the day if you pre-ordered it online? If it's to be delivered on the 26th and the UPS truck usually comes in the morning...would I just get it around the usual UPS delivery time?

19. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

If I pre-order it will be delivered on the 26th. Even though it doesn't officially launch until 6:00pm?

20. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I'm not sure about handouts. For Panther they gave out dogtags, for Tiger I got a scratch card with a free iTunes song.

If they gave out tshirts for Leopard that would be pretty cool.

21. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Pre ordered.

Gotta love the Australian prices!!

Only:
    A$158 - for single user!!
    A$229 - for family pack.

Must be due to our great exchange rates atm!!

aussie_geek

22. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's pretty cool.

i read on apple's site that if you were in the top 500 visitors then you got a leopard tshirt.

23. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

24. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Pre-order

I preordered the family pack with my iphone rebates... should be at my door on the 26th... I hope.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've pre-ordered it from Apple NZ, it's only $8 more than the US price for a change, and they reckon it'll be delivered on the 26th (which, due to timezones, is a day before you lot get it :p)