Pre-ordered full price 6s may not be unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaPhatty, Sep 11, 2015.

1. DaPhatty macrumors member

Just a heads up, I spoke with Apple Customer Support today as I wanted confirmation regarding the unlocked status of the iPhone 6s if purchased at full price. The Customer Support Rep specifically stated that they had not received any information from Corporate that would clearly allow them to confirm the unlocked status of iPhone 6s phones that are purchased outright.

If you are like me and want a fully unlocked 6s, you should probably wait. Damn shame since this is the first time you could buy an iPhone at full price without the need for "upgrade" status.

2. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

I'm guessing they will be unlocked. Apple Customer Reps said that the T-Mobile phones wouldn't be unlocked on day 1 and they were (that happened the last two years)

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They say that every year. It will be unlocked.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

All iPhones at full price (or rather No-Commitment) are always unlocked. There never has been an exception to this rule.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Sprint was an exception at launch last year. As was AT&T for the longest time

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Allow me to amend it then...

Sprint is always the exception in everything. T-Mobile has always been the straight up unlocked device seller if paid in full. That has never changed.

7. segrobja macrumors regular

I was on the fence with my At&t line. Was going to buy a T-Mobile 6s+ cause I knew it would be unlocked. But ended up buying the at&t one full price. Now I need to fight with At&t for charging me a $15 upgrade fee. $15 for what? I just spent $1000 on a phone from apple that I will put my sim in and carry on with life. What exactly did at&t do to deserve $15?

8. lovelybai macrumors member

Att will unlock for you if you payed full price even if it is locked(very unlikely)

9. lovelybai macrumors member

I also choose tmobile because of this. I will not pay a single cent to those guys.

10. segrobja macrumors regular

Yeah. I know. That's why I ended up going with it. If I'm paying full price I want it unlocked so when I go to sell it next year I have more resale value.

11. segrobja macrumors regular

$15 for them doing nothing. What a scam

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ confirms only the AT&T version gets band 30. Deployment is low right now, but you might as well get the phone with the most bands.

13. segrobja macrumors regular

That was another thing I was wondering about. I spent a lot of time making this decision and still ended up with a 9/25 delivery date... Or so they say.

14. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

I asked the ATT chat lady online about this and she indicated that the full price devices come locked, but I could request an unlock after 30 days.

15. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Those reps don't know *****. Just wait until you get your phone. Worse case scenario if you aren't happy return it. Simple as that.

16. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

They say this every year. The truth is, as long as you pay the full price, apple is not going to send your info to carriers, so carriers can't lock you.

17. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

I'm so confused. I was under the impression that Verizon phones are always unlocked. I'm reading here that all full price phones are unlocked except Sprint. When I checked out this morning at 3AM EST, I was forced to enter my account information, select "Verizon", and select "Pay in full". I am no eligible for an upgrade. Did I order an unlocked iPhone 6S? My order states, "iPhone 6S 64GB Silver (CDMA)". Can anyone clarify?

18. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

All Verizon phones are GSM unlocked. You're fine.

19. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Thank you, fine sir!

20. random person macrumors 6502a

Forgive my complete ignorance, but what does it mean for a phone to be unlocked?

For example I still have some time left on my at contract but bought this device paid in full. So will the phone be locked until my contract is up? And how will it then be unlocked? And why does it matter?

Also can an ATT phone be switched to Verizon service once you are off contract?

So confused!

21. modulusshift macrumors newbie

Unlocked is the state of the phone. The phone could be handed to anyone out of the box and work with every carrier. If you're still on a contract with a carrier, you can't leave without paying a ETF, but your phone won't be stopping you.

AT&T is kinda an oddball this year, I don't know if their device got CDMA certification. The hardware is capable of working on Verizon, but I don't know if it actually will. Any other carrier's iPhone will work with all carriers, it'll be missing some AT&T optimization, though.

Edit: also note that since you're paying full price, you don't have to buy the AT&T model. You can just buy the T-Mo model and use it on AT&T, and then switch to whatever carrier you want after.

22. ectospheno macrumors member

All carriers will unlock a fully paid for phone without hassle. This literally only affects flippers. I would have trouble finding something about which I care less.

23. Zauberer macrumors regular

So I ordered the T-Mobile phone at full price. Will that be unlocked when it arrives? I don't actually have a T-Mobile plan and I will be traveling to the UK for several weeks thereafter. Will it work there no hassle?

24. segrobja macrumors regular

T-Mobile phones come unlocked from Apple

25. auero macrumors 65816

Try adding two full priced iphones to your cart and you'll get a message such as this:

Only one carrier-activated iPhone can be ordered at a time. Please make sure only one carrier-activated iPhone is in your bag. Your bag may contain multiple unlocked iPhones.