Predict $50 price decrease on iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Aug 21, 2016.

?

Price for base iPhone 7

Poll closed Aug 31, 2016.
  1. $599 or lower

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. $649

48 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. $699 or higher

24 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. TallManNY, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

So this is my guess of pricing after the iPhone 7 launch.

Prices this Fall will be:
    SE: $399 (as it is priced now)
    6S: $499 (+$100 for plus ) (+50 to go to 64gb, maybe plus starts at 64gb)
    7: $599 (+$100 for plus which comes with dual camera) (+100 gets you 128gb storage in both sizes)

iPhone 6 gets discontinued. This helps Apple down the road with phasing out support for the A8 processor.

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Sorry, there isn't a chance in hell Apple bumps the phone from 16GB to 32GB AND lowers the price. Bean counter Tim is already having a heart attack at the loss of margins going to 32GB.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am predicting that the price of the next iPhone will actually increase by $50. We will get 32 gb base storage and maybe wireless earbuds to make this extra expenditure appear worthwhile.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am betting on a $50 increase also. It is time the prices increased.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I don't think we will see a price increase even with a bump in storage. Apple needs to stay somewhat competitive with its competition.

6. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Not gonna happen.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yep, I'm betting on price increase as well. If we see 256GB I believe we will see a $150 price increase between unites.

iPhone 7:
    $649 - 32GB
    $799 - 128GB
    $949 - 256GB
    iPhone 7+:
    $749 - 32GB
    $899 - 128GB
    $1049 - 256GB

The only units that won't increase in cost are the base.

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

So you think Apple's plan is to set these prices now and 2Q 2017 you think these iphones will sell in volume at that price against very comparable $299 Android phones. Because $299 is where the price of Android phones are going to go in 2017. All the flagships form non-Samsung are coming out now at $399. That price won't hold for long though because $100 Android phones will run Android 6.0 fine. And even these $399 phones have screens as big as the iPhone Plus.

And the $799 price for a 7 with the basic minimum amount of storage to be a medium smartphone user is crazy. No way Apple tries to sell their phones for double the price of Android flagships.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't think it is going up. There is an overall lack of interest plus the loss of the aux jack, they aren't going to risk even more sales by a price increase.

10. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

So I added a poll. I'm surprised that there are some people who actually think price is going up.

11. Mlrollin91, Aug 21, 2016

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You honestly think Apple cares what its competitors are selling their prices at? Because that has changed the Mac lineup pricing, right? People are going to buy Apple because they are invested in the ecosystem.

The Note 7 is $879, even Samsung keeps their prices much higher than other Android makers. $799 for a 128GB iPhone 7 is $50 more than a 64GB 6s. New phone, double the storage, $50 increase. I don't think that is unreasonable.

----
    Where are you getting your "399" Prices? HTC one is $519-$689, LG V10 is $694, Moto Z Droid is $624, Droid Turbo 2 is $528. You're $299-399 price is non-existent. Samsung's start at $679 and go all the way up to $879 with the Note 7.

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The topic of price is the only interesting aspect of the new iPhone launch. The phone itself is just so stale.

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I'm predicting that your predictions are wrong OP.

14. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

Of course Apple cares what others sell their phones for. Apple has to compete against the other phones. And Apple isn't going for 15% of the market with the iPhone. Apple wants more than 50% of the U.S. market. It has about 50% now. Apple also wants profits, for obvious reasons. And refreshing the current form factor for a third year with only a few limited hardware changes, should give Apple the chance to lower prices and maintain the same margins.

These $399 Android phones are much closer in competition to the iPhone than what PC manufacturers can make to go against the MacBook Pro and Air.

Samsung is the only manufacturer keeping their prices high. But Apple doesn't want sales like the Note 7 for the iPhone 7. The Note 7 is a niche product compared to the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. And those base prices that you see for Samsung phones are part fiction. Remember things like buy one get one free. Or they threw in a VR kit.Those initial launch prices for Samsung phones do not last a full year.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I just gave you 5 flagship phone examples of nothing being close to your$ 299-$399 price tag. You seemed to have just completely ignored that. Your claim of flagship phones being $399 and under does not exist.

Apple cannot increase the storage capacity and lower the price to maintain same margins. That doesn't make any sense. If you want to see lower cost of the phone, you will not see an increase of storage and you will not see lightning headphones included. These things cost money that will cut into those margins if Apple were to lower the price.

16. TallManNY, Aug 21, 2016

TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

Ha, actually since it was under a line -----, I must have subconsiously thought that was your signature. I didn't read it at all. But I just read it. Good point about those prices. But here are some others.

Honor 8: $399
    Nexus 6P: $399
    OnePlus3: $399

These are the new prices for Android phones. Except for the Samsung phones you mention and the HTC One, those other phones aren't going to sell. And those prices won't make it to 2017. I suspect now you can find deals on all those phones as well that drop them below the regular price. The Blackberry Priv can also be found for $399. Apple wants to set a price that works now and will work int he Summer of 2017.

Now maybe I'm picking and choosing a bit to call the above flagship phones. But I believe each of these is the best phone form each manufacturer available (with the Nexus 6P being the latest available Nexus, though long in the tooth). Maybe the Honor 8 from Huawei is not quite flagship. It might not be the absolute best phone Huawei makes, but it is pretty close and I think it will be the best in the U.S.

Apple is getting higher margins from Services. And it will save money from using a rehashed design on the 7. Internals like the memory have probably decreased in price, etc. So it may be able to basically get the same margins from $599 as it got from $649 last year. Or it may be close enough to be worth it to drive some additional sales in 2017.

Edit:
    Axon 7: $399 - ZTE's flagship, recently released.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

A price decrease?...you don't have a clue.

18. Dave245 macrumors 601

I don't think the price will come down, if Apple are increasing the storage of the base model and adding a 256GB option. Also I expect to see a bigger increase on the iPhone 7 Plus model because of the dual lens camera.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Nexus 6p is $499/$549/$649 for 32/64GB/128GB respectively. http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

Not really $399. The only "flagship" device that is $399 is the OnePlus 3, but its flagship based on specs, and I'm not entirely sure how the performance stacks up as I have not researched it.

As long as Samsung stays about $649, there is no way Apple is dropping below that. Also, with the pricing structure I named earlier, the base models stay the same price at $649/$749 for the regular and plus sized phones respectively. The increases is for the additional storage.

iPads are tiered at $150 from 32GB -> 128GB and $150 from 128GB -> 256GB. I'm willing to bet Apple will follow suit with the iPhones. Otherwise $100 increase from 32GB -> 128GB and $100 from 128GB -> 256GB would make iPad owners angry that they spent an additional $100 for the 256GB model. Also, its cheaper to install higher flash chips in iPads as they use multiple chips. iPhones use a single flash chip, which makes it more expensive. 2 128GB chips are cheaper than a single 256GB chip.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

Lol Apple isn't decreasing prices. 0% chance. Some of you lack any perspective about this whole "iPhone sales are down thing". It's not like the competition is actually outselling them or something.

21. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

Hmm, I read on Android Central that 6P had been reduced to $399 in many places. But maybe that was in resellers and not through the main websites. Looking around I see the $499 price. And that is for an older phone. The new Nexus is coming pretty soon.

32gb is plenty of storage for most people, but many will also need 128gb. That is going to be one pricy phone at your suggested increase. Again, I'm not so much talking now, but as a price that Apple won't want to touch on the phone for a year. I think Android phone prices are going to continue to drop. $899 for a 7 plus with enough storage to basically be fine is going to be a seriously large price when similar sized Androids (call them flagship or not) are going to be much cheaper. And since those phones have sim card slots you don't have to pay for larger built in storage.

Anyway, I know I'm a bit out on a limb here. I'm not hearing anyone else speculating on a price drop for this iphone. But I also think the SE's $399 price caught a lot of folks in the industry by surprise.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The SE received a $50 price cut compared to the 5s, which had been selling at roughly $450 since the announcement of the 6s/6s+. But all they did was keep the same design and put new components in it. It was probably cheaper to order the same components for the 6s for 3 phones (SE/6s/6s+) then to continue to still manufacture iPhone 5s parts.

23. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think your missing a point here, Apple doesn't care about Andriod, Apple have been demanding a premium for years, that's not going to stop now. Also don't forget, adding the 256GB option will add more cost, and the 7 Plus may cost even more because of the dual lens camera.

24. Cryates macrumors 65816

This same topic comes up every year. Pricing will stay the same. Storage size bumps won't change that. A minimal redesign won't change that.

25. gim macrumors 6502

gim

With declining sales, I honestly don't think that they're in a position to increase prices. So I predict they do the increase next year, but probably not in the U.S.

Already paying 750€ for the 6s base model in Europe right now, that's about $850.
    Think they'll go 799€ for the 2017 iPhone.