Predict how Apple will attempt reasoning the lack of the headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiebug, Sep 1, 2016.

1. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I think they will release a new pair of wireless airpods (wireless is better than wired, will work nicely with Apple watch blah blah). Better yet, they will include them with the iPhone 7 Plus or at least give every iphone 7's owner a discount.

Or they could do the Apple way: just ignore it and go through the whole keynote without even mentioning it

2. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

They won't reason or justify. It's the way of the future!

3. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

I for one don't really care that it's bieng removed.

I may not agree everything apples does but I like the fact they are willing to push the envelope even if it means pissing off people at times.

4. Batman89 macrumors 6502

The lack of a floppy disc drive, the lack of a CD drive, the lack a headphone jack....

5. chrisforpm macrumors regular

It's hard to get upset over very old technology being phased out. It's bound to happen at some point, what's the difference if it's now or 2 years from now?

6. Frederico Luna macrumors member

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good, the 2 dozen other threads hadn't covered this sufficiently.

This one ought to do the trick though.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am guessing that Apple might take a page from the MacBook keynote, and try to sell their vision of a wireless future, and how the absence of the headphone jack is proof of their conviction.

This assumes the next iPhone comes with wireless charging in some form. Apple can then talk about how you don't need those ports because everything you need to do with your phone, you can do it wirelessly (wireless charging, wireless headphones, AirPlay, iCloud backups etc).

9. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I don't really understand why the *possible* lack of a headphone jack is such a big uproar?!!! I can't remember the last time I plugged any headphones into the jack?!!!! Wireless headphones are so much better, easier and definitely the way to go :)

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple doesnt need to justify things. They have fans that permeate message boards everywhere and create the excuses for them.

Anyway, One of my cars uses a tape deck so I use the audio jack pretty often but for me then Im not too worried about the lack of headphone jack. A solution will exist.

11. techiebug thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm really hoping for a pair of wireless airpods bundled with the phone. So far there are some rumors. If this is true then it will shut up just about everyone complaining about the lack of the audio jack

12. urkel macrumors 68030

No they're not.:D

I do like my wireless headset but I actually went back to the plain old earbuds because there is a convenience in not having to charge yet another thing. (That's the same reason I sold my Apple Watch and went back to a plain old Fitbit.)

13. 2IS macrumors 68030

They've never mentioned that it DID have a headphone jack, why would they mention anything about it now?

14. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Charging them for me isn't an inconvenience. When done using them I just plug em' in for use next time. My current earbuds (Jaybird X2) I use for quite a few uses before charging them. It's a pretty minor inconvenience. And when I run, I have no cords to worry about ;) I do still want the Bose Noise Cancelling ones tho, for when I travel! I just am not ready to drop $300 on them yet!

15. EvanEiga macrumors regular

The way I see it...

Blue tooth offers:
    Great portability
    Not so great sound quality

Headphone Jack offers:
    Okay portability
    Okay sound quality

Lightning jack offers:
    Okay portablity (draw backs can be fixed with other adaptors = $$$$$)
    Great sound quality.

So you would have 3 options of listening to music, and apple is getting rid of the mid ground, leaving you with the choice of two extreme end.

16. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The 7 will come with lightning wired pods and an adapter for lightning to jack. No big deal for me as I have not used the "jack" in years. Wireless all the way and love it!

18. samparmenter macrumors 6502

What do you think super high end headphones use as their connection... People don't drop thousands on headphones that offer OK sound quality.

19. Dave245 macrumors 601

Wireless will be the future, Apple will remove the headphone jack, and then 12 months from now or less other companies will do the same, this time in 3-5 years there will be no device on the market with a headphone jack, that's why the people who say they are going to jump to Android make me laugh, all these other companies follow Apple.

Apple will probably announce the iPhone 7 and tell us about wireless or lightning connector, they will also probably announce a new section of headphones under the Beats brand, this has pretty much been confirmed with this happening https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/01/apple-leak-beats-headphones-iphone-7/

20. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

"It's our most revolutionary evolution so far."

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It gives us better audio quality, so fine with me. My problem is more that they are sticking to Lightning, and not going for USB-C.. USB-C headphones would be WAY more universal.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

They won't really address it. They will focus on the new buds and why wireless is the best way to go.

23. samparmenter macrumors 6502

If apple don't bundle wireless headphones with the new iPhone it will be a massive **** move. If apple are trying to encourage wireless then they should be pushing the boundaries of what is possible. I won't buy lightning connection headphones on principle. I would be amazed if many people do. It won't give you any better sound quality than 3.5mm and you need an adaptor to use it with the 1000's of other devices out there.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's been explained ad infinitum here why lighting will offer no advantage in sound quality yet we continually have a large number of people who assume that it will. This is why Apple will have no problem making this change. Most people hear 'digital' and assume it must be an improvement...

25. EvanEiga macrumors regular

Good point, I'd assume anything is only as good as its weakest bottleneck, but i personally never tried a pair before, so IDK.

So it doesn't? excuse my ignorance but wouldn't digital be better than analog in most cases considering most cables aren't gold-plated monster cables and hence deliver a weaker signal? and no i am not getting paid by monster nor am I a professional in cable business :D