Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
That's the crux of the whole thing. Unless damaged, you can use good wired headphones for a long, long time, so replacing them doesn't happen often. With bluetooth headphones, the various companies can string us along into buying new versions every couple of years, as battery life, bluetooth sound quality and other technical aspects improve.

That is true but it also shows that people today are more willing to move away from cords. I know I haven't used wired headphones in over 2 years and it's an absolute pleasure at the gym, running etc without a damn cord getting in the way.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That is true but it also shows that people today are more willing to move away from cords. I know I haven't used wired headphones in over 2 years and it's an absolute pleasure at the gym, running etc without a damn cord getting in the way.

I have Bluetooth headphones that I rarely use. I keep higher end, wired headphones in various locations, and I don't like bothering with charging the Bluetooth headphones. Granted, I'm not a runner. I do work out with a Bluetooth speaker, and my car has Bluetooth, but I'm not interested in a Bluetooth-only setup, because there still a lot of scenarios where I prefer/need wired.

Reactions: Rangers94

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I have Bluetooth headphones that I rarely use. I keep higher end, wired headphones in various locations, and I don't like bothering with charging the Bluetooth headphones. Granted, I'm not a runner. I do work out with a Bluetooth speaker, and my car has Bluetooth, but I'm not interested in a Bluetooth-only setup, because there still a lot of scenarios where I prefer/need wired.

Fair enough but I do believe Bluetooth is the future and Apple is leading the charge.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Charging them for me isn't an inconvenience. When done using them I just plug em' in for use next time. My current earbuds (Jaybird X2) I use for quite a few uses before charging them. It's a pretty minor inconvenience. And when I run, I have no cords to worry about ;) I do still want the Bose Noise Cancelling ones tho, for when I travel! I just am not ready to drop $300 on them yet!

I have a hard time following you, when you contradict yourself. You literally say that it isn't an inconvenience, and then three sentences later, you admit to it being an inconvenience. Having to charge yet another thing is not ideal. Just saying...

I'm clearly in the camp of wanting to keep the headphone (and mic) jack. I use mine quite frequently. And I don't understand another poster by saying that Apple would be pushing the envelope by losing it. Unless they are debuting a revolutionary new way to experience music, there is no envelope pushing. Bluetooth has been around, and audio through the lightning port has been around. These aren't new things. And, right now, I don't believe Bluetooth to be a suitable alternative. My biggest issue isn't necessarily the quality, as most people are listening to compressed audio through crappy headphones anyway; my biggest complaint it the lack of reliability. Sound cutting out is completely unacceptable and something I often experience with Bluetooth audio. All in all, we'll just have to leave with whatever... Life goes on.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Hopefully hi-fi in Apple Music is part of it along with a push for higher fidelity music. Not that the headphone jack wasn't capable of it, but it gives them more marketing flexibility.
[doublepost=1473225223][/doublepost]
Wireless will be the future, Apple will remove the headphone jack, and then 12 months from now or less other companies will do the same, this time in 3-5 years there will be no device on the market with a headphone jack, that's why the people who say they are going to jump to Android make me laugh, all these other companies follow Apple.

Apple will probably announce the iPhone 7 and tell us about wireless or lightning connector, they will also probably announce a new section of headphones under the Beats brand, this has pretty much been confirmed with this happening https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/01/apple-leak-beats-headphones-iphone-7/

You are right. iPhone 7 dropping the headphone jack will mark the death of the 3.5mm jack.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Hopefully hi-fi in Apple Music is part of it along with a push for higher fidelity music. Not that the headphone jack wasn't capable of it, but it gives them more marketing flexibility.
[doublepost=1473225223][/doublepost]

You are right. iPhone 7 dropping the headphone jack will mark the death of the 3.5mm jack.

I don't think so. The headphone jack is far from death as we also have speakers, computers, cars, etc. Just like the usb. Usb 3.0 will live quite a while.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Does anyone remember the first iPhone, which required an adapter to use just about any set of headphones other than Apple's headphones? People threw a fit. I can't believe we're back to using adapters again on a device carried in a pants pocket.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
It's hard to get upset over very old technology being phased out. It's bound to happen at some point, what's the difference if it's now or 2 years from now?
Many people claim that Apple made CD/Floppy drives obsolete. But no one mentions that USB flash drives which replaced them were open standard and everyone could use them freely.

Apple is replacing open standard 3.5 mm jack with their proprietary lightning port. Many people do not seem to have an issue with that and are ready to be Apple's b****. So you cannot use newer lightning port enabled apple earphones on any android device or even on your standard PC or even an iMac. That's laughable just as the sound quality of bluetooth earphones.

Now idiots like LeTV (LeEco) have launched their own CDLA standard USB-C earphones. So soon, we will have 10 different headphone standards floated by 10 different manufacturers. So if one day you want to jump ship from Apple to Android or vice versa, you have to re-buy all your favorite accessories.

My hate is directed at the above point.

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
The Nation of Capitalism has decided after 15-20 years of giving you more, more power, more capability, more choices that "Less is More for More Money". Example - many years ago I worked for New York Telephone - best training, best product and best people and service. Now - if you try to call Verizon Repair you can't! They have actually eliminated 611-Repair for Landlines and you can't call them directly anymore. You must have a computer and if you're resourceful you may actually locate a Verizon phone number buried in their site -which will only get you a call-back not a person. Verizon actually wants you to test your own line when you're paying for Maintenance.

So, there it is ... this is the year Apple will rape you to see how much you can stand - take away that jack without significant battery-life gain, without improved sound quality, without improved connection status and more charging requirements with more drain on your battery, patience and pocket.

When a Company doesn't involve their Customers in end-product decisions they start to loose validity - as though they're still offering ground-breaking technology that everyone wants and needs.

The core of the Apple I'm afraid is rotten!

Reactions: imlynxy

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
And the answer is revealed with One Word...

Courage.

Wow. So many guesses but NOBODY saw that gem coming...

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I have a hard time following you, when you contradict yourself. You literally say that it isn't an inconvenience, and then three sentences later, you admit to it being an inconvenience. Having to charge yet another thing is not ideal. Just saying...

I'm clearly in the camp of wanting to keep the headphone (and mic) jack. I use mine quite frequently. And I don't understand another poster by saying that Apple would be pushing the envelope by losing it. Unless they are debuting a revolutionary new way to experience music, there is no envelope pushing. Bluetooth has been around, and audio through the lightning port has been around. These aren't new things. And, right now, I don't believe Bluetooth to be a suitable alternative. My biggest issue isn't necessarily the quality, as most people are listening to compressed audio through crappy headphones anyway; my biggest complaint it the lack of reliability. Sound cutting out is completely unacceptable and something I often experience with Bluetooth audio. All in all, we'll just have to leave with whatever... Life goes on.

How am I contradicting myself? I was responding to another post (person) who was asking me how in the heck I thought wireless was better etc. Telling me others clearly care about the lack of the headphone jack. I responded to them by saying I don't find wireless to be the huge pain he/she had described. So no, not sure how I'm contradicting myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.