Predict the 2015 Oscars (February 2016)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The 88th annual Academy Awards (Oscars) broadcast will be Sunday, February 28, 2016, announcing the winners for the best movies of 2015.

This year's host is Chris Rock, who previously hosted in 2005. The most talked-about pre-Oscar buzz isn't about the nominated movies, but about #oscarssowhite, with threats of celebrity boycotts and a Saturday Night Live spoof. It's a pretty safe prediction that Rock will have something to say about that.

The nominated films include a couple with short names of women, "Amy" and "Joy", and one amusing movie with a rather long title: "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared".

This thread is for our annual contest. Here are some other movie threads I spotted in the forums in recent months:

Related to nominated movies:

The "Steve Jobs" movie collected the most threads (no surprise there):

An ancient thread became newly relevant, for the movie "What Happened, Miss Simone?":

Movies in general:

And a few from the political forum:

MacRumors Oscar Contest

This is the 14th annual MacRumors Oscar Contest. This year there are 121 nominations for 57 movies in 24 categories. The forum contestant with the most correct predictions wins the traditional prize: MacRumors bragging rights. I will check the predictions against the award winners and post the results after the telecast.

Here's how to vote:
    • Copy the ballot from the next post below.
    • Delete all but one line in each category, leaving 1 choice per category (your prediction).
    • Post it in this thread.
    Contest rules:
    • Post between now and 6:00pm Eastern time Sunday.
    • Do not edit your post after voting.
    • One ballot per person.
    You need not vote in every category but there's no penalty for guessing. Good luck!

Previous MacRumors "Predict the Oscars" contests:
    2014: winner Doctor Q (20 correct)
    2013: winners dejo and Doctor Q and swiftaw (21 correct)
    2012: winner swiftaw (19 correct)
    2011: winner swiftaw (19 correct)
    2010: winner Doctor Q (18 correct)
    2009: winner Doctor Q (16 correct)
    2008: winner Doctor Q (20 correct)
    2007: winners NEENAHBOY and Doctor Q (13 correct)
    2006: winner Doctor Q (15 correct)
    2005: winner Doctor Q (18 correct)
    2004: winners VincentVega and Pittsax (16 correct)
    2003: winners wdlove and Doctor Q (20 correct)
    2002: winner Doctor Q (13 correct)​

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

--- MacRumors Oscar Ballot ---

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne for The Danish Girl
    Best Actor: Matt Damon for The Martian
    Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant
    Best Actor: Michael Fassbender for Steve Jobs
    Best Actor: Bryan Cranston for Trumbo

Best Actress: Charlotte Rampling for 45 Years
    Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan for Brooklyn
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for Carol
    Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for Joy
    Best Actress: Brie Larson for Room

Best Adapted Screenplay: Charles Randolph and Adam McKay for The Big Short
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Nick Hornby for Brooklyn
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Phyllis Nagy for Carol
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Drew Goddard for The Martian
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Emma Donoghue for Room

Best Animated Feature Film: Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson, and Rosa Tran for Anomalisa
    Best Animated Feature Film: Alê Abreu for Boy and the World
    Best Animated Feature Film: Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera for Inside Out
    Best Animated Feature Film: Mark Burton and Richard Starzak for Shaun the Sheep Movie
    Best Animated Feature Film: Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura for When Marnie Was There

Best Animated Short Film: Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala for Bear Story
    Best Animated Short Film: Richard Williams and Imogen Sutton for Prologue
    Best Animated Short Film: Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle for Sanjay's Super Team
    Best Animated Short Film: Konstantin Bronzit for We Can't Live without Cosmos
    Best Animated Short Film: Don Hertzfeldt for World of Tomorrow

Best Cinematography: Edward Lachman for Carol
    Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson for The Hateful Eight
    Best Cinematography: John Seale for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki for The Revenant
    Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for Sicario

Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell for Carol
    Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell for Cinderella
    Best Costume Design: Paco Delgado for The Danish Girl
    Best Costume Design: Jenny Beavan for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Costume Design: Jacqueline West for The Revenant

Best Director: Adam McKay for The Big Short
    Best Director: George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu for The Revenant
    Best Director: Lenny Abrahamson for Room
    Best Director: Tom McCarthy for Spotlight

Best Documentary Feature: Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees for Amy
    Best Documentary Feature: Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin for Cartel Land
    Best Documentary Feature: Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen for The Look of Silence
    Best Documentary Feature: Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby, and Justin Wilkes for What Happened, Miss Simone?
    Best Documentary Feature: Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor for Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

Best Documentary Short Subject: David Darg and Bryn Mooser for Body Team 12
    Best Documentary Short Subject: Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck for Chau, beyond the lines
    Best Documentary Short Subject: Adam Benzine for Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah
    Best Documentary Short Subject: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy for A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
    Best Documentary Short Subject: Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman for Last Day of Freedom

Best Film Editing: Hank Corwin for The Big Short
    Best Film Editing: Margaret Sixel for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Film Editing: Stephen Mirrione for The Revenant
    Best Film Editing: Tom McArdle for Spotlight
    Best Film Editing: Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Foreign Language Film: Ciro Guerra for Embrace of the Serpent (Colombia)
    Best Foreign Language Film: Deniz Gamze Ergüven for Mustang (France)
    Best Foreign Language Film: László Nemes for Son of Saul (Hungary)
    Best Foreign Language Film: Naji Abu Nowar for Theeb (Jordan)
    Best Foreign Language Film: Tobias Lindholm for A War (Denmark)

Best Live Action Short Film: Basil Khalil and Eric Dupont for Ave Maria
    Best Live Action Short Film: Henry Hughes for Day One
    Best Live Action Short Film: Patrick Vollrath for Everything Will Be Okay
    Best Live Action Short Film: Jamie Donoughue for Shok
    Best Live Action Short Film: Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage for Stutterer

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Love Larson and Eva von Bahr for The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega, and Damian Martin for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Siân Grigg, Duncan Jarman, and Robert Pandini for The Revenant

Best Original Score: Thomas Newman for Bridge of Spies
    Best Original Score: Carter Burwell for Carol
    Best Original Score: Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight
    Best Original Score: Jóhann Jóhannsson for Sicario
    Best Original Score: John Williams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Original Screenplay: Matt Charman, Ethan Coen, and Joel Coen for Bridge of Spies
    Best Original Screenplay: Alex Garland for Ex Machina
    Best Original Screenplay: Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley, and Ronnie del Carmen for Inside Out
    Best Original Screenplay: Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy for Spotlight
    Best Original Screenplay: Jonathan Herman, Andrea Berloff, S. Leigh Savidge, and Alan Wenkus for Straight Outta Compton

Best Original Song: Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville, and Stephan Moccio for "Earned It" in Fifty Shades of Grey
    Best Original Song: Diane Warren and Lady Gaga for "Til It Happens to You" in The Hunting Ground
    Best Original Song: J. Ralph and Antony Hegarty for "Manta Ray" in Racing Extinction
    Best Original Song: Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith for "Writing's On The Wall" in Spectre
    Best Original Song: David Lang for "Simple Song #3" in Youth

Best Picture: Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner for The Big Short
    Best Picture: Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt, and Kristie Macosko Krieger for Bridge of Spies
    Best Picture: Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey for Brooklyn
    Best Picture: Doug Mitchell and George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Picture: Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer, and Mark Huffam for The Martian
    Best Picture: Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mary Parent, and Keith Redmon for The Revenant
    Best Picture: Ed Guiney for Room
    Best Picture: Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin, and Blye Pagon Faust for Spotlight

Best Production Design: Adam Stockhausen, Rena DeAngelo, and Bernhard Henrich for Bridge of Spies
    Best Production Design: Eve Stewart and Michael Standish for The Danish Girl
    Best Production Design: Colin Gibson and Lisa Thompson for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Production Design: Arthur Max and Celia Bobak for The Martian
    Best Production Design: Jack Fisk and Hamish Purdy for The Revenant

Best Sound Editing: Mark Mangini and David White for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Sound Editing: Oliver Tarney for The Martian
    Best Sound Editing: Martin Hernandez and Lon Bender for The Revenant
    Best Sound Editing: Alan Robert Murray for Sicario
    Best Sound Editing: Matthew Wood and David Acord for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Sound Mixing: Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom, and Drew Kunin for Bridge of Spies
    Best Sound Mixing: Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff, and Ben Osmo for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Sound Mixing: Paul Massey, Mark Taylor, and Mac Ruth for The Martian
    Best Sound Mixing: Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom, and Chris Duesterdiek for The Revenant
    Best Sound Mixing: Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, and Stuart Wilson for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale for The Big Short
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance for Bridge of Spies
    Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone for Creed
    Best Supporting Actor: Tom Hardy for The Revenant
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Ruffalo for Spotlight

Best Supporting Actress: Rooney Mara for Carol
    Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Jason Leigh for The Hateful Eight
    Best Supporting Actress: Rachel McAdams for Spotlight
    Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs

Best Visual Effects: Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington, and Sara Bennett for Ex Machina
    Best Visual Effects: Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver, and Andy Williams for Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Visual Effects: Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence, and Steven Warner for The Martian
    Best Visual Effects: Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith, and Cameron Waldbauer for The Revenant
    Best Visual Effects: Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

3. thedez macrumors newbie

thedez

MacRumors Oscar Ballot ---

Best Animated Short Film: Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle for Sanjay's Super

Best Cinematography: John Seale for Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell for Carol

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega, and Damian Martin for Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Original Song: Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith for "Writing's On The Wall" in Spectre

Best Picture: Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin, and Blye Pagon Faust for Spotlight

Best Sound Editing: Matthew Wood and David Acord for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Sound Mixing: Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff, and Ben Osmo for Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Visual Effects: Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould for Star Wars: The Force Awakens

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Looks like not much competition this year. Perhaps the #oscarssowhite boycott is affecting MR as well. Anyways...

Best Animated Short Film: Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle for Sanjay's Super Team

Best Original Song: Diane Warren and Lady Gaga for "Til It Happens to You" in The Hunting Ground

Best Picture: Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mary Parent, and Keith Redmon for The Revenant

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My analysis

I've seen just over half of the nominated films (29 out of 57), but they cover 71% of the nominations, so I'm ready to cast my votes.

When I saw The Revenant, I thought "oh yeah, best picture". Then I thought the same thing watching "The Big Short" (such innovating storytelling!) and Spotlight. It's hard to believe they were all based on true events. It's hard to believe that this will (in my opinion) be Leonardo DiCaprio's first Oscar win. (The first one for Sylvester Stallone too.)

Brie Larson was amazing in Room, and so was her non-nominated young co-star Jacob Tremblay.

I think it was a weak year for supporting actors, but an outstanding one for supporting actresses, some of whom should have competed in the Best Actress category.

Did anyone talk about any other foreign language film than Son of Saul? I think that's en easy call for Hungary.

All of the nominees have a shot for visual effects, but I think Mad Max was too much of the same thing and a lot of its impact were due to production design, The Martian was mostly a matter of cool backdrops, and Ex Machina was impressive and no doubt tedious to create but not totally innovative. Other than a less-than-friendly bear, I don't know why The Revenant should win in this category; its other effects were real, owing to cinematography, not pixel wizards. That leads me to pick Star Wars: The Force Awakens, because it had such a variety of effects. Even though we've seen many of them before. They are such an important part of that universe, it won the Visual Effects Society award, and I'm also betting that it'll be a sentimental favorite for the Academy member demographic.

I never agree with Academy voters on the shorts. I like the animated short "World of Tomorrow" best, but I think "Sanjay's Super Team" will edge it out. "Stutterer" is the live action short I'll remember best, and smiled about, but I think "Ave Maria" has what it takes to win.

I didn't see "Cinderella" so I can't judge its costumes against Mad Max: Fury Road, but I was impressed by the work done on the latter film, so that's what I'm going with. It also won the Costume Designers Guild Award.

I couldn't decide between Mad Max: Fury Road and The Revenant for sound editing, so I decided to wait for last night's Golden Reel awards. So guess what... they tied! I hereby flip a coin ad pick Mad Max: Fury Road (heads) instead of The Revenant (tails).

I think Mad Max will beat The Revenant for sound mixing. I could see it going either way, and The Revenant won the Cinema Audio Society Award, but the same film often wins both sound awards. I'll likely either be 2 for 2 or 0 for 2.

Sadly, my favorite nominated movie -- "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared" -- won't win anything. Of course we all know that it's an honor just to be nominated. :)

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Best Documentary Short Subject: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy for A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness

Best Live Action Short Film: Jamie Donoughue for Shok

Best Picture: Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner for The Big Short

Best Sound Mixing: Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom, and Chris Duesterdiek for The Revenant

Best Visual Effects: Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver, and Andy Williams for Mad Max: Fury Road

7. Roller macrumors 68020

Best Picture is the major award that's the hardest to call for me. I didn't see either The Big Short or Brooklyn, but the others were excellent. I'd like to see Spotlight get it because I think it won't get any acting awards, but I suspect that The Revenant will win.

BTW, I saw Room last night and I'm very disappointed that Jacob Tremblay didn't even get a nomination for Best Actor, since he was in almost every scene and was excellent by any standards.

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You'll see him at the Oscars anyway. He's a presenter.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Results

We've never had such a close race and such a close finish! Congratulations to the huge number of us who played this year!

MacRumors 2015 Oscar contest results

1. 17 correct. Three-way tie: dejo, DoctorQ, and swiftaw
    4. 16 correct. thedez

Other results:
    • Only thedez correctly predicted Spotlight for Best Picture and "Writing's On The Wall" (Spectre) for Best Original Song.
    • Only swiftaw correctly predicted A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness for Best Documentary Short Subject.
    • None of us correctly predicted Mark Rylance for Best Supporting Actor, Stutterer for Best Live Action Short Film, Bear Story for Best Animated Short Film, or Ex Machina for Best Visual Effects.
    (For the record, Mrs. Q got 16 correct. She was the only one to pick Mark Rylance for Best Supporting Actor, Stutterer for Best Live Action Short Film, and Ex Machina for Best Visual Effects.)

Movies that won more than one Oscar:
    • 6 Oscars out of 10 nominations: Mad Max: Fury Road
    • 3 Oscars out of 12 nominations: The Revenant
    • 2 Oscars out of 6 nominations: Spotlight
    Movies with multiple nominations and 1 win:
    • Bridge of Spies (6 nominations)
    • The Big Short (5 nominations)
    • The Danish Girl (4 nominations)
    • Room (4 nominations)
    • The Hateful Eight (3 nominations)
    • Ex Machina (2 nominations)
    • Inside Out (2 nominations)
    Movies with multiple nominations and no wins:
    • The Martian (7 nominations)
    • Carol (6 nominations)
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (5 nominations)
    • Brooklyn (3 nominations)
    • Sicario (3 nominations)
    • Steve Jobs (2 nominations)

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

He certainly should've gotten a nod for Best Supporting. How he didn't is perhaps more evidence that the Academy has plenty of work to do.

11. thedez macrumors newbie

thedez

Congrats to the top 3! A super tough year for guessing. Anyone care to do a $5 pool or all donate gift cards/DVDs/VHS tapes, etc for a pot to make it more interesting next year?

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We'll just have to see how much interest there is next year. In the meantime, happy movie-watching!

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

According to TMZ, the organization’s rep says Rock sold about 500 boxes of Girl Scout cookies at $5 each — which would equal $2,500. While the comedian didn't raise the money on cookie sales alone, he did manage to pull in the cash through generous donations from Hollywood.

“Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles was thrilled to participate in the 88th Oscars on Sunday evening,” a spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts of the USA toldTheWrap. “Both Girl Scouts of the USA and the Academy have verified that, through sales of Girl Scout Cookies and donations made during the Oscars, the Girl Scouts raised $65,243, that will benefit girls, allowing them to improve their communities and continue developing into strong leaders.”