Predict the 2019 Oscars (February 2020)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The 92nd annaul Academy Awards (Oscars) will be awarded on Sunday, February 9, 2020, honoring the best movies of 2019.

Once again there will be no host for the show. It worked well enough last year, but the show still didn't finish within 3 hours. They can try again this time.

Oscarssowhite (for actors) is still a factor, not to mention Oscarssomale (especially for directors).

Films with the most nominations:
11 for Joker
10 each for 1917, The Irishman, and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
6 each for Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, Marriage Story, and Parasite
Parasite from South Korea has done well for a non-English-language film, with nominations for Director, Film Editing, Original Screenplay, and Production Design, as well as Picture and International Feature Film. (International Feature Film is the new name for the Foreign Language Film category.)

Threads about 2019 movies:
Note: The I Hate Judy!!!!! thread is not about Renée Zellweger's film.

Trivia:
  • Four films are named after relatives: Brotherhood, Daughter, Sister, and A Sister.
  • Four film titles feature animals: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Jojo Rabbit, Kitbull (kitten+pit bull), and The Lion King. You might consider Missing Link and Parasite to be animal titles too.
  • Marriage Story and Toy Story 4 are both stories about interpersonal relationships.
  • Shortest film titles: 1917 and Judy
  • Longest film title: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
Quiz questions about the 20 nominated actors:
  1. Which nominated actor has the most total nominations, including this year?
  2. Which is the only nominated actor with two previous Oscar wins?
  3. Which two nominated actors have had nominations in categories other than Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress?
  1. Al Pacino has had nine nominations. (He won for one: Scent of a Woman.)
  2. Tom Hanks had two previous wins (Philadelphia and Forrest Gump).
  3. Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated for Best Picture as a producer of The Wolf of Wall Street. Cynthia Erivo was nominated for both Best Actress and Best Original Song this year.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MacRumors Oscar Contest

This is the 18th annual MacRumors Oscar Contest. This year there are 124 nominations for 53 movies in 24 categories. The forum contestant with the most correct predictions wins the traditional prize: MacRumors bragging rights.

Here's how to vote:
  • Copy the ballot from the next post below.
  • Delete all but one line in each category, leaving 1 choice per category (your prediction).
  • Post it in this thread.
Contest rules:
  • Post between now and 6:00pm Eastern time Sunday. (That gives me time to collect the ballots.)
  • Do not edit your post after voting.
  • One ballot per person.
  • You need not vote in every category but there's no penalty for guessing.
Previous MacRumors "Predict the Oscars" contests:

2018: winner swiftaw (15 correct, the lowest winning score in the last decade)
2017: winner swiftaw (21 correct, tying the all-time record)
2016: winner swiftaw (18 correct)
2015: winners dejo, Doctor Q, and swiftaw (17 correct)
2014: winner Doctor Q (20 correct)
2013: winners dejo and Doctor Q and swiftaw (21 correct all-time record)
2012: winner swiftaw (19 correct)
2011: winner swiftaw (19 correct)
2010: winner Doctor Q (18 correct)
2009: winner Doctor Q (16 correct)
2008: winner Doctor Q (20 correct)
2007: winners NEENAHBOY and Doctor Q (13 correct)
2006: winner Doctor Q (15 correct)
2005: winner Doctor Q (18 correct)
2004: winners VincentVega and Pittsax (16 correct)
2003: winners wdlove and Doctor Q (20 correct)
2002: winner Doctor Q (13 correct)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
--- MacRumors Oscar Ballot ---

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix for Joker
Best Actor: Adam Driver for Marriage Story
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Actor: Antonio Banderas for Pain and Glory
Best Actor: Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

Best Actress: Charlize Theron for Bombshell
Best Actress: Cynthia Erivo for Harriet
Best Actress: Renée Zellweger for Judy
Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan for Little Women
Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson for Marriage Story

Best Adapted Screenplay: Steven Zaillian for The Irishman
Best Adapted Screenplay: Taika Waititi for Jojo Rabbit
Best Adapted Screenplay: Todd Phillips and Scott Silver for Joker
Best Adapted Screenplay: Greta Gerwig for Little Women
Best Adapted Screenplay: Anthony McCarten for The Two Popes

Best Animated Feature Film: Dean DeBlois, Bradford Lewis, and Bonnie Arnold for How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Best Animated Feature Film: Jérémy Clapin and Marc du Pontavice for I Lost My Body
Best Animated Feature Film: Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh, and Marisa Román for Klaus
Best Animated Feature Film: Chris Butler, Arianne Sutner, and Travis Knight for Missing Link
Best Animated Feature Film: Josh Cooley, Mark Nielsen, and Jonas Rivera for Toy Story 4

Best Animated Short Film: Daria Kashcheeva for Daughter
Best Animated Short Film: Matthew A. Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver for Hair Love
Best Animated Short Film: Rosana Sullivan and Kathryn Hendrickson for Kitbull
Best Animated Short Film: Bruno Collet and Jean-François Le Corre for Memorable
Best Animated Short Film: Siqi Song for Sister

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for 1917
Best Cinematography: Rodrigo Prieto for The Irishman
Best Cinematography: Lawrence Sher for Joker
Best Cinematography: Jarin Blaschke for The Lighthouse
Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson for The Irishman
Best Costume Design: Mayes C. Rubeo for Jojo Rabbit
Best Costume Design: Mark Bridges for Joker
Best Costume Design: Jacqueline Durran for Little Women
Best Costume Design: Arianne Phillips for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Best Director: Sam Mendes for 1917
Best Director: Martin Scorsese for The Irishman
Best Director: Todd Phillips for Joker
Best Director: Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Director: Bong Joon Ho for Parasite

Best Documentary Feature: Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert, and Jeff Reichert for American Factory
Best Documentary Feature: Feras Fayyad, Kirstine Barfod, and Sigrid DyekjÊr for The Cave
Best Documentary Feature: Petra Costa, Joanna Natasegara, Shane Boris, and Tiago Pavan for The Edge of Democracy
Best Documentary Feature: Waad al-Kateab and Edward Watts for For Sama
Best Documentary Feature: Ljubo Stefanov, Tamara Kotevska, and Atanas Georgiev for Honeyland

Best Documentary Short Subject: Yi Seung-Jun and Gary Byung-Seok Kam for In the Absence
Best Documentary Short Subject: Carol Dysinger and Elena Andreicheva for Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
Best Documentary Short Subject: John Haptas and Kristine Samuelson for Life Overtakes Me
Best Documentary Short Subject: Smriti Mundhra and Sami Khan for St. Louis Superman
Best Documentary Short Subject: Laura Nix and Colette Sandstedt for Walk Run Cha-Cha

Best Film Editing: Michael McCusker and Andrew Buckland for Ford v Ferrari
Best Film Editing: Thelma Schoonmaker for The Irishman
Best Film Editing: Tom Eagles for Jojo Rabbit
Best Film Editing: Jeff Groth for Joker
Best Film Editing: Yang Jinmo for Parasite

Best International Feature Film: Corpus Christi - Poland
Best International Feature Film: Honeyland - North Macedonia
Best International Feature Film: Les Misérables - France
Best International Feature Film: Pain and Glory - Spain
Best International Feature Film: Parasite - South Korea

Best Live Action Short Film: Meryam Joobeur and Maria Gracia Turgeon for Brotherhood
Best Live Action Short Film: Yves Piat and Damien Megherbi for Nefta Football Club
Best Live Action Short Film: Marshall Curry for The Neighbors' Window
Best Live Action Short Film: Bryan Buckley and Matt Lefebvre for Saria
Best Live Action Short Film: Delphine Girard for A Sister

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis, and Rebecca Cole for 1917
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan, and Vivian Baker for Bombshell
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou for Joker
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Jeremy Woodhead for Judy
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten, and David White for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Best Original Score: Thomas Newman for 1917
Best Original Score: Hildur Guðnadóttir for Joker
Best Original Score: Alexandre Desplat for Little Women
Best Original Score: Randy Newman for Marriage Story
Best Original Score: John Williams for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Original Screenplay: Sam Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns for 1917
Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson for Knives Out
Best Original Screenplay: Noah Baumbach for Marriage Story
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Original Screenplay: Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won for Parasite

Best Original Song: Diane Warren for "I'm Standing With You" in Breakthrough
Best Original Song: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez for "Into the Unknown" in Frozen II
Best Original Song: Joshuah Brian Campbell and Cynthia Erivo for "Stand Up" in Harriet
Best Original Song: Elton John and Bernie Taupin for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" in Rocketman
Best Original Song: Randy Newman for "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" in Toy Story 4

Best Picture: Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, and Callum McDougall for 1917
Best Picture: Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, and James Mangold for Ford v Ferrari
Best Picture: Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff for The Irishman
Best Picture: Carthew Neal and Taika Waititi for Jojo Rabbit
Best Picture: Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff for Joker
Best Picture: Amy Pascal for Little Women
Best Picture: Noah Baumbach and David Heyman for Marriage Story
Best Picture: David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh, and Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Picture: Kwak Sin Ae and Bong Joon Ho for Parasite

Best Production Design: Dennis Gassner and Lee Sandales for 1917
Best Production Design: Bob Shaw and Regina Graves for The Irishman
Best Production Design: Ra Vincent and Nora Sopková for Jojo Rabbit
Best Production Design: Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Production Design: Lee Ha Jun and Cho Won Woo for Parasite

Best Sound Editing: Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate for 1917
Best Sound Editing: Donald Sylvester for Ford v Ferrari
Best Sound Editing: Alan Robert Murray for Joker
Best Sound Editing: Wylie Stateman for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Sound Editing: Matthew Wood and David Acord for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Sound Mixing: Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson for 1917
Best Sound Mixing: Gary Rydstrom, Tom Johnson, and Mark Ulano for Ad Astra
Best Sound Mixing: Paul Massey, David Giammarco, and Steven A. Morrow for Ford v Ferrari
Best Sound Mixing: Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, and Tod Maitland for Joker
Best Sound Mixing: Michael Minkler, Christian P. Minkler, and Mark Ulano for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Best Supporting Actor: Tom Hanks for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Best Supporting Actor: Al Pacino for The Irishman
Best Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci for The Irishman
Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Hopkins for The Two Popes

Best Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie for Bombshell
Best Supporting Actress: Scarlett Johansson for Jojo Rabbit
Best Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh for Little Women
Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern for Marriage Story
Best Supporting Actress: Kathy Bates for Richard Jewell

Best Visual Effects: Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler, and Dominic Tuohy for 1917
Best Visual Effects: Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken, and Dan Sudick for Avengers: Endgame
Best Visual Effects: Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser, and Stephane Grabli for The Irishman
Best Visual Effects: Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones, and Elliot Newman for The Lion King
Best Visual Effects: Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach, and Dominic Tuohy for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Excellent! This is always fun, and all the effort in setting up the thread is greatly appreciated :cool:

A few times I did more of a "I'd like to see this" vs. a "This is what will happen", so seeing as how this is really intended to be the latter, that's what's on my ballot - though to be honest, I'm still biasing this heavily based on my preference :D

Some additional narrative in italic :)

This is tough, Leonardo DiCaprio just killed it in Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, maybe his favorite performance of all time, that also happens to be my film of the year, but I think this year, it's Joaquin.

Another case of her's to lose, it's like Joker, it's a movie that exists within the lead performance.

It's terrific, she's great, it deserves _some_ recognition, going with Greta.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Greta Gerwig for Little Women

Missing Link has had some award action prior to the Academy, Laika is doing some excellent work, TS4 fantastic, but a 3rd sequel? The Hidden World was an excellent finish to the trilogy, OK, going with ...

Best Animated Feature Film: Josh Cooley, Mark Nielsen, and Jonas Rivera for Toy Story 4

I hadn't seen a few of the others, I LOVE this one.

Best Animated Short Film: Matthew A. Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver for Hair Love

No doubt.

I'm less confident in this than the production design award (where I picked OUATIH), but figured I'd stack a few for QT :D Honestly, it's usually the older period piece, so maybe LW, however ...

Best Costume Design: Arianne Phillips for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

OK, this is pretty difficult, we've got Phillips, maybe riding along with Joaquin, Joker being a notable film, then 1917 taking tons of awards already including Mendes, QT at his peak, then the outlier with Bong Joon Ho which would be crazy for an Academy choice (and he's obv. a done deal for International film), and some guy named Scorsese ... I think it does come down to SM and QT, the former seems destined to win, so maybe this is a bit of an "upset", but going with ... o_O

Best Director: Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

It's fantastic, I haven't seen some of the others.

Best Documentary Feature: Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert, and Jeff Reichert for American Factory

I think this will be a second win for Korea!

Best Documentary Short Subject: Yi Seung-Jun and Gary Byung-Seok Kam for In the Absence

Is there really any other choice :D

Best Live Action Short Film: Meryam Joobeur and Maria Gracia Turgeon for Brotherhood

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Jeremy Woodhead for Judy

While I don't think Joker will take a writing/director/picture award, it will not surprise me if the pretty amazing score doesn't take this one. Yes, even vs. John Williams.

QT, the screenplay is genius, I have't had the pleasure of seeing Parasite yet, I know it's very strong in this category, but QT ...

Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Seems obvious, who knows, love me some Elton.

Best Original Song: Elton John and Bernie Taupin for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" in Rocketman

Just as tough as director, again, I think it's a two-way race (1917 and OUATIH) with a crazy sort of never-been-done but could happen choice with Parasite, I'm predicting a Best Picture / Director spit ... !

Best Picture: Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, and Callum McDougall for 1917

The transformation of modern LA into 1969 LA, this should be a slam dunk.

Best Production Design: Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

These two sound awards are tricky, F v. F had some excellent work, but just the additional technical execution for 1917 seems hard to beat.

He was amazing, almost a BA vs. BSA, all the irishmen guys are terrific, but based on previous awards, his performance ...

I do love me some Pugh :) I was very tempted to go with her, but I think my favorite part of Marriage Story is the winner here.

I really do think this will take a number of "technical" awards, for good reason, but I hope it doesn't sweep the other major categories ...

Best Visual Effects: Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler, and Dominic Tuohy for 1917

If QT doesn't win Best Original Screenplay (and loses to the very possible winner in Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won for Parasite), I'm thinking he gets Director, and 1917 winds up with just Picture - and with the 10 picture introduction, this has gotten more common! Of course this doesn't change my vote - just some misc rambling :D

As usual, there were a few categories I'm sure about (like Cinematography and International Feature Film) and some very close calls. I hope others will vote too.
Great analysis, just quoted the these points, particular with International Film, has there ever been a more sure thing :D If Parasite doesn't win, time-space will collapse ...

I also think, like you, that Deakins is more-or-less a given for 1917 in the Cinematography category (give who he is, and what he accomplished).

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I saw a personal-best number of nominated films this year. Out of the 53 films, I've seen 50. Out of the 124 nominations, I've seen the movie for 121!

I couldn't see Corpus Christi, which looked interesting, because in the U.S. it's only been shown at a few film festivals and isn't in wide release yet. Did anyone see it?

Now I'm working on my ballot. Are write-in candidates allowed? I liked Jumanji: The Next Level but I don't see it on the list!

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw this: Jojo Rabbit available for streaming. See it before the Oscars!
Except it’s only for purchase... I can wait. 😐

It has a 80% critic review and a 95% audience rating which is a good indicator but not a guarantee. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As usual, there were a few categories I'm sure about (like Cinematography and International Feature Film) and some very close calls. I hope others will vote too.

Parasite was my favorite of the Best Picture nominees, and it deserves whatever awards it gets, but it's an uphill battle for a non-English film to win Best Picture, especially since Mendes looks good for Best Director. Academy voters will already give Best International Feature Film to Parasite, and they may feel that's enough.

1917 had great art direction and production design, but this award show is about Hollywood patting itself on the back, so I'm going with Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood for the nostalgic look at itself.

Disney is a powerhouse, and franchises have won Oscars for sequels before, like Toy Story 3 in 2010, but Disney doesn't always win and I think Klaus was more inventive and just as fun. That's good enough for me.

In my opinion, the Live Action Short Films were outstanding this year, outclassing the Documentary and Animated Shorts. Brotherhood and Nefta Football Club and The Neighbors' Window were all very clever and well-made. A Sister had a plot that we've seen before, but it was nicely tense, leaving you not quite sure what was going on. Nefta Football Club made me smile the most, and both Brotherhood and The Neighbors' Window were about things not being what they seem (and the lesson you should learn from that). Since Brotherhood had the well-used "strict father learns that things aren't that simple" theme, I'm going with the The Neighbors' Window for it's more unusual and more surprising plot.

Most of the Best Documentary Feature and Best Documentary Short Subject nominees were compelling stories. American Factory was really surprising, and Life Overtakes Me even more shocking. I picked American Factory because it'll likely resonate most with more Academy voters and Learning to Skateboard because, well, it's the type that wins Oscars.

I think Elton John's song from Rocketman will edge Cynthia Erivo's song from Harriet, given the makeup of Academy voters, but I'd personally pick Erivo's song.

For Animated Short Film, there might be a little extra kick for Hair Love because Matthew A. Cherry was inspired to make it by Kobe Bryant's Dear Basketball win in 2017 (with Oscar voting just days after he died), so I picked it over Kitbull's charming animal story.

The Academy can't think past period pieces for Best Costume Design, once again. They should split the category into Best Period-Piece Costume Design and Best Non-Period-Piece Costume Design!

My most important question: If Hildur Guðnadóttir wins, how will they pronounce her name?

Best Animated Feature Film: Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh, and Marisa Román for Klaus

Best Documentary Short Subject: Carol Dysinger and Elena Andreicheva for Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan, and Vivian Baker for Bombshell

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA

Best Documentary Feature: Ljubo Stefanov, Tamara Kotevska, and Atanas Georgiev for Honeyland

Best Film Editing: Michael McCusker and Andrew Buckland for Ford v Ferrari

Best Production Design: Dennis Gassner and Lee Sandales for 1917

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
QT, the screenplay is genius, I have't had the pleasure of seeing Parasite yet, I know it's very strong in this category, but QT ...
Treat yourself to Parasite. It's unpredictable and lots of fun.

He was amazing, almost a BA vs. BSA, all the irishmen guys are terrific, but based on previous awards, his performance ...
Presumably, even if Brad Pitt hadn't been in the running, Pacino and Pesci would have split the vote, given the similarly of their roles and performances in the same movie.

If QT doesn't win Best Original Screenplay (and loses to the very possible winner in Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won for Parasite), I'm thinking he gets Director, and 1917 winds up with just Picture - and with the 10 picture introduction, this has gotten more common! Of course this doesn't change my vote - just some misc rambling :D
I always wonder if the Academy voters really do use the thinking that if they vote for a person or movie in one category then they are more free to vote for someone/something else in another category, as if a movie deserves at least one win. For example, if Parasite is Best International Feature Film, is that good enough, so they don't have to consider it for Best Picture? Also, do the voters really say to themselves "This actor/director/whoever has been nominated so many times that it's about time for them to win" or "It's probably their last movie, and last chance, so they deserve an award this year for their body of work?" You hear commentators saying such things, but I don't know if voters in the Academy really have those mindsets.

Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Also, do the voters really say to themselves "This actor/director/whoever has been nominated so many times that it's about time for them to win" or "It's probably their last movie, and last chance, so they deserve an award this year for their body of work?" You hear commentators saying such things, but I don't know if voters in the Academy really have those mindsets.
I've talked to a few people involved in film, movies, production, pretty dialed into some of the machinations that occur in the nomination/award process (some not Academy, but other award groups) , and they've said that kind of thing definitely happens, even though it's often, sort of an "unspoken truth".
- - Post merged: - -

Treat yourself to Parasite. It's unpredictable and lots of fun.
Definitely very soon, I ran out of time this week, I would've __loved__ to have seen it before tonight - we did just very recently rewatch Snowpiercer if that counts for anything :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Stand Up- Outstanding song!
I agree.
I think Elton John's song from Rocketman will edge Cynthia Erivo's song from Harriet, given the makeup of Academy voters, but I'd personally pick Erivo's song.
After Cynthia Erivo's great singing performance, I hope that Doctor Q guy is wrong and "Stand Up" from Harriet wins.

Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
On my list to see:
  • Parasite- Best Picture, that’s historic! :D
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Knives Out
  • Ford vs Ferrari
Also, I’ve gotten comfortable without a host having to crack jokes. :)

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I caught a brief glimpse of the Oscars tonight, I don’t usually follow the awards ceremonies too closely. But one thing I want to say, I’m always amazed the PRSI these actors/actresses interject with their speeches. I get it, they want to put out a message specifically about their beliefs or how it leads into current events happening in our society, but it just seems so unnecessary at times, and well, sorta inappropriate.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I caught a brief glimpse of the Oscars tonight, I don’t usually follow the awards ceremonies too closely. But one thing I want to say, I’m always amazed the PRSI these actors/actresses interject with their speeches. I get it, they want to put out a message specifically about their beliefs or how it leads into current events happening in our society, but it just seems so unnecessary at times, and well, sorta inappropriate.
I agree it’s not the best platform. I do like positive, reaffirming messages, but Joaquin Phoenix went on too long. His cow talk, I take it he is a Vegan. :)

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I agree it’s not the best platform. I do like positive, reaffirming messages, but Joaquin Phoenix went on too long. His cow talk, I take it he is a Vegan. :)
Yup, he was one of the actors I’m referring to in my post. I like Joaquin Phoenix a lot, he’s a great actor. I was just watching ‘Walk the line’ the other night with him, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance from any male actor that Was on the level of acting in terms of portraying Johnny Cash.

and I get it, we don’t really know these actors/actresses outside the ‘movie screen’, and maybe they have different passions in life that they care about or they want to express, I just don’t think the center stage is something that needs to talk about such intimate/personal thoughts, but it’s their speech and I’m not taking away from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Elton John said he would be quick, then wasn't actually that quick. I think he should have sat down at his piano and played that little melody that tells award winners that their allotted time is up!

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Elton John said he would be quick, then wasn't actually that quick. I think he should have sat down at his piano and played that little melody that tells award winners that their allotted time is up!
His voice sounded off, while singing.
- - Post merged: - -

Oh man. Taika Waititi backstage had some choice thoughts for Apple

I’’m not disagreeing with him, but I’d have to check the keyboards on PC laptops to compare. My 2016 MBP keyboard seems to be acceptable, but my PC keyboard (not a laptop) is better.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Contest results

Doctor Q and swiftaw tied for 1st place this year, with 19 correct predictions each.

D.T. came out in 3rd place, with 14 correct predictions.

All three contestants pegged 1917 for Best Picture instead of winner Parasite. The same problem for Sound Editing, where they picked 1917 and the winner was Ford v Ferrari. And all three chose a director other than winner Bong Joon Ho.

Doctor Q also missed Animated Feature Film and Film Editing, while swiftaw also missed Production Design and Documentary Feature.

D.T. did better on those four, correctly predicting 3 of the 4: Animated Feature Film, Documentary Feature, and Production Design.

The only award that one of our contestants correctly predicted while both others got it wrong was for Film Editing, where only swiftaw made the correct choice (Ford v Ferrari).

In a stunning loss, Mrs. Q lost to Doctor Q, predicting 17 of the 24 awards.

Some movie statistics:

16 movies won at least one Oscar.

Number of non-English movies that won Best Picture before today: 0
Number of non-English movies that won Best Picture as of today: 1
Chughahabnida! (Congratulations!)

Movies winning more than one Oscar:
Parasite (4 out of 6 nominations)
1917 (3 out of 10 nominations)
Ford v Ferrari (2 out of 4 nominations)
Joker (2 out of 11 nominations)
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood (2 out of 10 nominations)
Movies with the most losing nominations:
The Irishman (lost 10 out of 10)
Joker (lost 9 out of 11)
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood (lost 8 out of 10)
1917 (lost 7 out of 9)
Jojo Rabbit (lost 5 out of 6)
Little Women (lost 5 out of 6)
Marriage Story (lost 5 out of 6)
Shut out despite multiple nominations:
The Irishman (10 nominations)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (3 nominations)
The Two Popes (3 nominations)
Harriet (2 nominations)
Honeyland (2 nominations)
Pain and Glory (2 nominations)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Looks a lot smaller than on TV.
The Dolby gets bigger when they fill it with huge egos!

I'm glad Parasite won. But it clearly doesn't need the International Feature Film award now that it has Best Picture in hand, so I think they should do a recount and award International Feature Film to the next best film. Perhaps that would be Pain and Glory from Spain.

The Oscar broadcast edged just over 3½ hours, as Jane Fonda waited for the signal to close the show. The producers dimmed the lights before the Parasite team had finished speaking (giving them less than half the time used for the Best Actor and Best Actress acceptance speeches). But the audience protested, and the producers relented, turning the lights back up. After 3½ hours, they thought it was appropriate to cut off 2 minutes of the surprise ending?

They should have left out the Maya Rudolph/Kristen Wiig bit. No wonder they ran long.