Preorders open when on the 10th...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GaspodeX, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GaspodeX macrumors newbie

Does anyone know when preorders will actually open ?

Is it the same time on all the online stores or is it staggered (ie will the store.apple.com/uk start early than store.apple.com/us ?

And what time Midnight GMT ? Midnight Australia ? Midnight California ??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Typically its 12:00am PDT. So for me that would me 3:00am.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Midnight PDT (California time), and likely all at once for everyone.

4. GaspodeX thread starter macrumors newbie

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That will be 8:00am in the UK.

6. GaspodeX thread starter macrumors newbie

7. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So strange that Apple is taking pre-orders ahead of displaying the watch in person. So many people are going to pre-order that night or first thing in the morning, and then go to the store the next day to discover that they really want a different model.

This is going to be a logistical nightmare for Apple. Though I suppose the volume won't be anything like as high as iPhone launches. So at least we can be pretty sure the Apple servers won't buckle under the load at midnight.

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Apple hasn't said ANYTHING about pre-orders, except they start on April 10. No time was given, nothing about the in-store watch reservations. I fully expect that everyone who has an in-store reservation may order any watch they want - there will be enough inventory 'reserved' for those people. So, I don't think it will be a mad rush to buy Apple Watches at midnight on April 10. There WILL be a mad rush to get 'convenient' appointments to see the watch though.

No jumping to conclusions is necessary until Apple actually informs us of how it works.

(Actually, now that I think of it - those who don't live near Apple Stores, might be in a mad rush to buy Apple Watches at midnight on April 10!)

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, my guess is that Apple has allocated X # of watches for online preorder and X # of watches for in-store preorder. So even if the most popular models sell out immediately online the retail stores will have their own pre-order inventory. The Apple Watch is perhaps one of the most high profile "impulse buy" h/w products it's ever sold. And Apple needs great first weekend shipped unit numbers more than ever here.

It would be insane to allow for in-store try on, have the customer pumped up and ready to order, only to be told, "sorry, that model is on backorder for 2 weeks after launch." A lot of people will say, OK, thanks, and walk out. Lost sale.

I'm sure at some point during the pre-order period some models will go into backorder status system-wide but not the first day.

10. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I had planned on doing a pre-order at 3AM but have changed my mine to go in and do the in-store pre-order instead. I am still on the fence about whether I want 38 or 42mm and really want to see the size difference. So I have already told my wife not to expect to see me much that morning. I'll be in line at the Apple Store with the mob.

11. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

So it's 12:00 AM PDT is what time in central time (Illinois)? 2:00 AM? Sorry I just want to clarify. This will be my first preorder from Apple :D

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm placing my order for 2 watches with an extra band for each at "I assume" 3am EST. Then we will pop into the store sometime that weekend to see them in person. If it changes our minds we'll change our order but I doubt it will.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Google has the answer for you
    CDT_preorder.png

14. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Haha thanks. I should've looked it up first. I just wanna make sure I'm all ready!

15. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Damn, I guess I'm staying up until 3:00 AM. I have to wake up at 6:30.

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

9PM on the 9th in Hawaii. :D:D

I'm gonna get more sleep than ANY of you. That is of course if it opens at the normal time.

17. kovey macrumors 6502a

I'll pass your concerns onto Apple but I think they got it.

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

At the moment there is a 7 hour difference between Pacific Standard Time and UK GMT so 12AM on US West coast is 7AM here in the UK. I'm not sure exactly when that changes regards daylight savings time.

19. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

At this point in time, no one knows. It's all speculation, as apple has not stated what time preorders begin......

20. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I would bet on the Standard midnight time they have done in the past because their network is going to be hit hard anyway. Only the serious are waiting at midnight or 3AM and they can get hundreds of thousands of orders in before the regular work day begins.

I spaced out on the iPhone 6+ and did not try until it had been open for 9 hours. I think I waited 3 weeks after the real release to get mine.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will be back to 8 hours after next weekend.

22. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

Me too...Well I'll be waking up around 2:30 to get online and ready to pre-order at 3. Then up at 6 to get ready for work. Thinking I might take the day off though.

23. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Do you seriously think the pre-orders are selling out at midnight? This isn't the iPhone. It seems that waking up at 6 and putting in your order would be easy. And while I doubt the servers are hit hard because I doubt pre-orders even hit 20% of the last iPhone launch; even on iPhone launch pre-order, ordering in the morning on the East Coast is easy. The rest of the country is asleep and you will be able to log in easy.

24. technosix macrumors 6502a

I work for a giant multinational company. Some of my friends also work in very big international companies. I've made a very deliberate effort when speaking to them since the Apple reveal, asking:

1) If they're familiar with Apple Watch.
    2) How many people they know that plan to buy over the next two months.

The responses have been interesting. While certainly not scientific or even accurate for that matter, nonetheless I'm getting feedback from long time friends most of whom already use iPhones and love them.

The greater majority aren't aware or interested, only a few are even planning on visiting an Apple store to look. About thirty are buyers, a very low number since the greater majority are already using iPhone 6 models. In addition most have six figure incomes and aren't price sensitive.

I'll see if things change with time.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The most wanted model here (Space Gray Sport) might very well sell out as they'll allocate only so many units for pre-ordering.