Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I guess I’ll have to open our HOA’s .eps logo in Graphic Converter, which I use it all the time. But it will be annoying as a work around… 😵‍💫

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So my old MacBook Air becomes more and more valuable as time goes on huh… in a weird way.
Apple could’ve virtualised the preview of those files or sth. But figured removing support saves tons of money.
How about using the money that was wasted on stage manager in macOS to provide some support on this issue?
Apple has limited resources and puts them to use as they see fit. It's quite possible that some of these things will return in the future. Then again, I don't think the demand is as high as we think.

rmcq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks Apple.

Jump Desktop "Print to Preview on Mac" option no longer works as it uses EPS. The files now open for me in Affinity Publisher...

Guess I need to get a simple EPS viewer.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It also remains possible to print .ps and .eps files by dragging them into a Mac's printer queue with these steps on macOS Ventura, according to Apple:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Printers & Scanners in the sidebar.
2. Click the the name of your printer on the right.
3. Click the Printer Queue button to open the printer queue window.
4. Drag the .ps or .eps file into the printer queue window.

So '↑↑↓↓←→←→BA' allows someone to cheat at a video game, but both are not very intuitive. Or maybe it is. Seems the long way to go to get a file to print.

So they are not dropping .pdf file support but .ps support? Don't most people cook the .ps files into a .pdf file? I got to a point I could write some basic PostScript 'programs' doing things like rotating letters and doing crazy things with efects, but some printers dropped PostScript support so that kind of ended that. As long as pdf files are supported, I can live with this, but with they be next.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia

So are they doing this for security issues or can Ventura and M1/2 chips not handle a vector file format from 1987?
Postcript is not a "vector file format". It's a programming language.

These days, it's considered a security issue to execute code that was downloaded from an email or website.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
just save it as a pdf.

Or jpg?

EDIT: Oh good grief, stop the hate. I was thinking that it was being used to print on documents. (I used to be on/in an HOA, and there seemed to be a bit of 'communication' that went on. (Usually threatening other owners) So using a jpg of the logo for printing would be fine. What printer that an HOA might have could print pristine ps file logos. It's a waste of time, IMO, the body of the letter is what matters: 'You have one week to mow your yard to the regulated height or we will place a lean on your property and have your lawn mowed for you, the cost of which you will be liable for'.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Postcript is not a "vector file format". It's a programming language.

These days, it's considered a security issue to execute code that was downloaded from an email or website.
Or is it? Or that format can handle more than just programming language? Or that “programming language” is the one for generating vector drawing?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple has limited resources and puts them to use as they see fit. It's quite possible that some of these things will return in the future. Then again, I don't think the demand is as high as we think.
I always thought they have unlimited resources. :rolleyes::rolleyes: /s

As for the demand, idk, not in academic field. But time will tell.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Neither reason makes much sense since they still handle PDF which is just a specific format of PostScript.
PDF files are pre-interpreted PostScript files so they are less sensitive to security issues. You can basically think of it as postscript converted to embedded image and vector data mainly for display use. Sort of PDF is like HTML, but postscript is like JavaScript that builds HTML. That is a little oversimplified since PDFs are partially rasterized, but the gist of it. The original postscript is often embedded in it for printing, but that doesn’t need to be interpreted except by the printer.

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
According to this article, postscript is a programming language and pdf is not. This would support the security argument.

thanks for the details there.

"a PDF file is actually a PostScript file that has been taken a little further."
That is what I was getting at without going into the details. That article brings back some old memories of dealing more directly with some of those file formats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Santiago

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Microsoft Office removed EPS support years ago because of security concerns. Surprised Apple held out as long as they did.

Reactions: kitKAC

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Neither reason makes much sense since they still handle PDF which is just a specific format of PostScript.
It is not. They required a completely separate engine to handle postscript. The graphics primitives are different. Also, postscript is not a standard but something licensed from Adobe.

My guess is it has to do with disuse and with things like this old hack, where a fellow crafted a postscript file that turned the printer into a HTTP server. https://www.pugo.org/project/pshttpd/

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Pretty much everyone in the fields of maths and physics typesets their documents with LaTeX (no, Apple, not Pages:D) and comes across .ps and .eps files fairly regularly. Apple, please reconsider!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.