Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepDish

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Sorry, it's not ugly...

Sorry for calling it ugly. I was just hoping for something totally differant and jaw dropping.

Two CD bays, not very Apple.

fbcfabric

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2001
well im glad that im not the only one who thinks this case is ugly. it looks to me like somebody attacked the original G4 case with paint stripper.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The front panel is ugly, specially for the aluminum part. I do not care about the 4 holes at the botton (doesn't look Apple stuff), but the white color seems nice.

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Yeaakk!!

that thing is really ugly!! its a kind of weird mutant between "elcapitan" and what i think should be the next generation PRO line design ( that is similar to TiBook and Xserve) is impossible that mr. Ive would let that thing come out rom Apple

Aquanaut

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
UK
Whether it's real or not I have come to not pay too much attention to pics of Apple hardware (legit or not).

Before I saw a QuickSilver in the flesh I though it looked pretty uninspiring in magazine and web shots. I thought the ibook was very dull but when I saw one for real I thought it was fantastic. Same with other Apple stuff too. It must be me but I don't seem to get the pics to talk to me.

Going on past experience, I think this looks a bit naff therefore it must be a stunner.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
As somebody said above, you can sometimes not tell with these apple products, in pictures they look horrible but in real-life they look stunning. I think that is the case here. As for the comments on the intakes, I think making a feature of the air-intakes on a Porsche works well, why not on a mac?

~/indigo

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2002
Ontario
Don't forget your Acronyms

Just a note to all of you that are questioning why it says SD RAM when you want DDR RAM don't forget this:
SD RAM = "Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory"

DDR is actually just short for its official name:
DDR SD RAM = "Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory"

This implies that it could be either kind.

Also note that they there are 4 slots and it states that it has support for 4 GB of RAM. As far as I know, a PC 133 1 GB DIMM does not exist while I do know that 1 GB DDR DIMMs do exist (at least ECC).

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the next system holds,
Jeff.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by gopher
Too much silvery contrast against white is like mixing colors that just don't match.

Are you for real??

The logo on the Flat Panel iMac is just the right size not to be obnoxious. A computer should blend with the environment.

yeah! why not make it beige like everything else in my skanky office!

It shouldn't have too many contrasting features that make it look alien. Keep those vents in back if you must have vents.

??!!

I don't want to see them! And when will Apple learn, we want stereo internal speakers. Make them white and put them on either side of the case.

you're joking right? stereo speakers don't do anything when they're next to each other. there would be no point.

Or make the side of the case be a tilt down LCD display and put the speakers on either side and the ports be on the other side of the case!

this is supposed to be a pro machine not some adolescent fantasy. buy an iMac.

in my opinion this is almost exactly what everyone in these forums has been asking for short of an early G5. you get a speed bumped G4, DDR, front speaker jack, 2 optical drive bays and to top it off it has a little 'pro' brushed metal thrown in without the radical new design that everyone would like to see for the G5.

quit whining.
if all you guys do is look at your macs you don't deserve one.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
eeehhhhh? i don't like it.

i want ports on the front for my iPod! i want at least 5 PCI slots, not four.

i want something new and innovative – Steve said just last week: "we're going to innovate through this downturn". Well get on with it! innovate!

i still love my B&W G3 tower like I gave birth to it myself - i want something that will fill the void when it's gone, not something that will remind me of it and make me sad! come on steve... we're counting on you. don't .mac us again...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This design looks like a final design from Apple... I'm looking at how much cooling it has, and by what I can see, it's going to be like an oven in that thing... This could mean faster (I mean, alot faster) processors, like up to 1.4-1.5ghz... I'm having mixed emotions about the design, though...

I think that the reason that the CD drives are in the middle and the PCI cards are at the top is because the processor(s) needs to be at the bottom, instead of the top where all of the heat collects inside the machine, that way they can stay cool better... It might also have to do with the placement of the RAM, since that was a problem with the original G4's and quicksilvers, is that 2 cd drives in that space wouldn't fit with the RAM, but that may have been just the original G4's...

But we can't forget that this could be just one prototype design for the G4... If Apple lets it stay online, then they must be watching this thread, and many others, seeing what we think of the design... Maybe someone will start up a petition online...

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Originally posted by G4scott
If Apple lets it stay online, then they must be watching this thread, and many others, seeing what we think of the design...Maybe someone will start up a petition online...

Or maybe you'll stop smoking low-grade crack!

How many times has Apple ever let a design out early "just to see what we think of it". I bet you get a christmas card every year from Steve Jobs, too.

Sheesh. ;) :p

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by iH8Quark

How many times has Apple ever let a design out early "just to see what we think of it". I bet you get a christmas card every year from Steve Jobs, too.

quiet chuckle

s/he's right you know. there are a few too many self-important folks around here ;)

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
I believe 7 lbs for a heat sync is ridiculas. The pressure that thing would put on the processor and the silicon surrounding it would be very intense. Imagine if you accidentally jarred your system, and the unnexpected movement causes the heat sink to shift. I can easily see a 7 lb. heat sink either cracking or damaging the silicon or processor. Pretty much ruining the entire processor. Why don't they put some sort of hightech liquid coolant unit on it like an A/C to keep it cool. 7 lbs.! Wow!

Chad

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Transition to G5

If the G5 is not coming out in August, and this is another G4 machine, then it seems to make sense that its case might be just a slight revision of the current case. (Saving the radical new design for whenever the G5 is ready.)

In the article the author says the case is still the current color...that it only looks white due to distortion.

If the above is true the new Pmacs may be a more minor revision that we have been expecting. However, even with only 1.2ghz, if that's all we get, when you add DDR and Jaguar shouldn't that provide close to a 50% jump in performance in some areas?

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
sorry to rain on everyone's picnic...

that's not even a terribly good photochop...

I had a couple criticisms about the leaked Quicksilver pics too, and was proven wrong... but this is a tad egregious, don't you think?

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by iH8Quark

I don't smoke crack... But hey, this is a rumors site, we can speculate, can't we? Of course, the odds of Apple letting us see something just so they can get our opinion on it are very low...

Oh, and actually, I do get a christmas card from Steve, and a christmas ham... ;) :p

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: sorry to rain on everyone's picnic...

Originally posted by gropo
that's not even a terribly good photochop...

I had a couple criticisms about the leaked Quicksilver pics too, and was proven wrong... but this is a tad eggregious, don't you think?

I don't know... The rest of the machine seems too real to be fake... Besides, the low resolution of the photo may be the reason as to why the vent holes look out of line... My point about it is why doesn't the guy take better pictures of all the stuff instead of making a PDF? He obviously had the time to do it, so why not???

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Not to repost, but:

If you look closely, you can see the reflection of another tower in the brushed metal portion. So whoever took this photo had more than one of these.

hey...this is post 200! :D

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
You guys are bummers

This things got all the pre-G5 stuff I've heard you people asking for in these forums. The fans, heatsink, and ventilation are COMPLETELY necessary. Keeping the internal parts cool in a confined space is extremely important. It also leaves Apple room to place hotter (and therefore higher clocked) processors (or MORE PROCESSORS) in the existing case design. Externally it may not be that appeasing to all of you, but let me remind you its just a 2-D photo. The core design may allow apple to move from the G4 to higher clocked G4s and even a G5 or whatever is next, without a major overhaul of the inside, and just a major overhaul of the outside, which will give the impression of big imporvements, a la G5 or whatever's next.
As far as 4096MB of ram in 4 slots goes, this is awesome. The G4 that apple was using couldn't handle more than 1.5GB of RAM. Obviously it's not going to stay as 133Mhz memory. I don't know what It'll be though (DDR speeds or anything else, etc.).

Show me a 1024MB 133SDRAM chip. Pricewatch.com doesn't list any so they're not common and therefore apple WONT use them.

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
Re: Re: sorry to rain on everyone's picnic...

Originally posted by G4scott
The rest of the machine seems too real to be fake... Besides, the low resolution of the photo may be the reason as to why the vent holes look out of line... My point about it is why doesn't the guy take better pictures of all the stuff instead of making a PDF? He obviously had the time to do it, so why not???
I'll tell you why not. It's fake. The first two are in line, the last two are in line... The two *sets* are unaligned. If you look at the original resolution of the "vent holes" up close you can even see the poor editing.

I will rely on Ockham's Razor to deduct that the 'path of least resistance' to the truth begind this "leaked" picture is that someone took a gain-bled digi-snap of a Quicksilver (with celophane on the handles/sides) and had a little 'go' at it with Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.