Pro tip: Face ID for people who switch between glasses and contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ion-X, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

Hey everyone,

I’ve been having this annoying problem where Face ID will recognize me during the day when I go about my business wearing glasses but stops recognizing me once I take my glasses off (in bed) or on those days where I choose to wear contacts. I would have to either enter my passcode or put my glasses on just to unlock. In theory Face ID is supposed to work regardless of facial accessories but this has not been my experience.

The way I solved it was to reset Face ID in Settings and do my first scan with glasses and my second scan without. It accepted both scans no problem. If not for improved accuracy then Apple may have intentionally set up the feature to allow swapping of facial accessories such as glasses, scarves, and wigs (and so two spouses can both unlock).

Hopefully this tip will be of use to someone!

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I did the setup with contacts. I’ve only had to use passcode a few times with my glasses on and it has learned it now.

3. Ion-X thread starter macrumors member

Ion-X

Are your glasses thick / prominent? Also does it actually learn? I thought only the initial scan mattered.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I had no problem last night when I took my contact lenses out. Recognised me straight away with my glasses on. Given that FaceID looks at your facial structure, I didn’t really expect it to be an issue. If I have any problems I’ll update this post but I’m impressed with FaceID so far.

5. Ion-X thread starter macrumors member

Ion-X

Wow, Face ID has never recognized me without my glasses. I actually had to redo the scan for last night when I went out with contacts because it was not working at all.

It may be because I have a very strong prescription so the lenses distort my eyes (Face ID seems to look very carefully at eyes).

6. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I setup faceID with my glasses on and it has had no problems recognizing me with them off.

7. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I set it up glasses off and it does my glasses just fine when I do wear them.

8. chicagofan00 macrumors regular

I setup FaceID with my contacts in and so far it has not failed to recognize me with my glasses or sunglasses on. Have yet to have a single issue with FaceID.

9. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I’m at 6/5.25 so pretty strong prescription myself. Does it work if you turn the attention feature off? If so you maybe right that the prescription means that FaceID can’t focus on your eyes.

10. harkan13 macrumors member

harkan13

I set mine up wearing contacts and it works fine with glasses. Haven't had any issues swapping back and forth.

11. alexcue macrumors 6502

alexcue

Ditto: Set mine up with Contacts, and wear cheaters. In the evening after I've taken contacts off I wear glasses. Have had no issues with Face ID.

12. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

Set mine up with contacts. Hasn't failed yet while wearing glasses (rayban frame) even while in bed in the dark.

13. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

I set mine up wearing glasses and had no problems when I switched back to contacts.

14. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

As the other poster mentioned, would be interesting to see if you still have the same problem with “require attention” turned off. I personally have no issue with glasses on and off with FaceID.

15. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

Set up with contacts/no glasses. No issues with glasses on whatsoever.

16. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Sounds like you’re doing something wrong. Also, read up on Face ID..it’s a lot more than initial set up.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

17. Thessman macrumors regular

18. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

One thing to keep in mind. People with strong prescriptions tend to hold the phone too close (or perhaps too far in some cases?) when they're not wearing anything. So make sure you're holding it at the proper distance to unlock. You might not be able to see it, but it will be able to see you. Once it's unlocked, you can move it to a readable distance.

19. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I did my first scan with glasses. It didn’t recognize me at first without glasses. I had to enter my passcode a few times so it would learn to recognize me without glasses. After that it started recognizing me with or without glasses. It also recognizes me with sunglasses. I never had to train it for those.