Pro Tools 7.3 LE on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by A Pittarelli, Oct 27, 2007.

1. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried running Pro Tools 7.3 LE in Leopard yet? Ive read that M-powered is working, but can't seem to find anything about LE.

2. A Pittarelli thread starter macrumors 6502

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Please don't bump threads. (Look at the forum rules linked in my sig).

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure the minute someone tries it, they'll report. According to the list of currently incompatible apps, ProTools won't work. I'm unsure if this refers to LE or not.

4. edoates macrumors 6502

5. A Pittarelli thread starter macrumors 6502

did you do a clean install or the upgrade of leopard?

6. drumfrog14 Guest

I installed Leopard last night and after updating PACE drivers, my Pro Tools LE 7.3.1cs5 still does not open. It stalls during the loading screen when it gets to the DigiRack plug-ins.

I've read in a couple of other threads elsewhere that if you displace the plug-ins (i.e. save them to a folder somewhere outside of the Pro-Tools Plugins main folder) the program should load and work fine.

I haven't tried that yet, because I'm trying to find another solution, because using PT without plug-ins wouldn't be productive. Anyone else out there figure out a workaround??? :eek:

7. aux macrumors newbie

aux

With Digidesign things are very simple: Pro Tools NEVER works after a major OS X upgrade. It never has and it never will.

That's why Digidesign posts articles on the DUC forum to show which version has been qualified. By the time of writing, 10.4.10 is not even qualified.

We'll have to wait until PT version 7.4.1

8. drumfrog14 Guest

Update: Working!

Hey all PTers out there.

Here's the scoop:

2.16 GHz MBP
    2 GB RAM
    MBox 2
    OS X 10.5 (Leopard!)
    PT 7.3.1cs5

After considering reinstalling Leopard with a clean install in order to truly see whether PT is non-functional with Leopard, I decided to take a different route.

After an extensive open-close-open-close exercise, dragging and dropping each of the Plug-ins from a relocated folder into the active PT Plug-in folder (Library--App Support--Digidesign, etc) to test which will of the plug-ins causes problems, I have discovered that ReWire is the culprit! No other plug-ins have caused PT to crash while opening, and all of my plugins have operated very well in Leopard.

Solution: for now, if you'd like to use PT in Leopard, simply remove the ReWire plugin (and keep it in a safe spot just in case).

Please, others that try this respond with your results! Cheers. :D

9. TheOzzyOz macrumors newbie

ReWire

Yeah unfortunately I watched mine freeze up on rewire once so it was the first one i took out and that "fixed" it. I'm not familiar with macs i'm a pc guy really so this has been extremely frustrating. I am having a ton of problems with pro tools and leopard and it seems like they have been around for a while with no fixes. This is very upsetting. I bought my Mac for Pro Tools and here I can't use my midi keyboard. 24'' imac running leopard.

Should I revert to Mac o.s. X?

10. gmontgomery macrumors newbie

Everything works for me. I'm using Protools LE 7.3.1 with my mbox2 on leopard on my macbook pro. No problems. I did however do a clean install rather than an upgrade. Any word when protools LE 7.4 will be compatible on leopard? I really want to upgrade.

11. jtock macrumors newbie

No dice with LE

I'm using a Mac Pro that came with Leopard, I've tried all of the suggestions but LE 3 won't open. It says the hardware (002 Rack) hasn't been downloaded or is in use by another program. Hope Digi gets a move on.
    Any suggestions for downgrading to Tiger? I have an OS X disc, but it's pre-intel and won't instal. Can you buy a 10.4.7 version of the software?

12. JFK77 macrumors newbie

I have somewhat of a similar problem..

The thing is I have just bought an Mbox 2 Factory, and it's still in the box... I was thinking of returning it and getting my money back! Hmm....maybe I shouldn't do that anyway if it works!?:confused:
    Has anyone tried out Pro Tools LE 7.4 on the new iMac with 10.5.1 Leopard?

13. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

I have been unable to get Pro Tools LE 7.3 to load as well.

I am running:
    iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB SDRAM
    OS 10.5 (pre - installed)
    Digi 002 (Rack)

I am also seeing the error stating the hardware (002) is in use.

I have contacted Digidesign and they have advised me of the Official word "it is not compatible with 10.5)

I was advised to set up a dual boot system, which I had already considered but I honestly don't feel like going through that much work at this point.

If anyone knows of an alternative solution or if anyone does hear of a release for a new version of Pro Tools LE that will work with the new OS please advise.

I am very eager to start some new projects and I have a full length album to complete mixing in the new year.
    Go figure .... my old mac finally died half way through mixing the album, I was using an iMac G5 1.8GHz with 1.5 GB RAM. I bit the bullet and upgraded my machine (waiting excitedly to see how much better Pro Tools would perform on my snazzy new mac) and poof ... completely incapacitated.
    I have had to halt projects and stop working until they fix the compatibility issue.

Luckily the studio isn't my full time job.

14. gmontgomery macrumors newbie

Pro Tools 7.3.1 on Macbook Pro with 10.5.1

It works. :) I have done several tracks and a couple movie mixes since I upgraded to Leopard. Pro Tools 7.4 will not work:mad:. Can't wait for Pro Tools 7.4.1 - when it comes out someone let me know!

When I upgraded to Leopard I erased my hard drive and did a complete clean install after that I installed 7.3.1 and it works. I think if you upgrade your system protools will not work but if you clean install your computer and reinstall protools it will work. I have absolutely no problems whatsoever running PT LE 7.3.1 on my Macbook Pro with Leopard 10.5.1. :):):)

15. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

Thanks GMontgomery.
    I will give that a try and see if it works.
    If not I will wait :)

16. jtock macrumors newbie

Montgomery, great news! What pro tools hardware are you using?

17. TheOzzyOz macrumors newbie

hrm

Pro tools 7.3.1 LE ran on leopard just ran very poorly. And it actually wouldn't run until I removed the rewire componet but that is a plug in issue not so much just pro tools. I reverted back to OS X and everything works fine.

18. JFK77 macrumors newbie

Strange... for some it works but not for all!
    But it seems that Pro Tools LE 7.3.1 works on Leopard! I wonder if it's also a question of which computer is being used!
    I have the new iMac that came with Leopard preinstalled - does anyone know if it works on there?!

19. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

Well I got it to work with Pro Tools LE 7.4.
    I didn't need to partition a boot drive or anything.

7.4 seems to work well in Mac OSX 10.5

I haven't done any major load bearing projects yet however so we will see how it performs.....but it at least runs.

I had no issues with any plug ins either

20. danielearwicker macrumors newbie

In case anyone is still wondering about this, I can state with total certainty that Pro Tools 7.4 is DEFINITELY NOT working right on Leopard. Trying it with a small undemanding project is not a good test.

I've tried a project that has 18 tracks of various kinds (audio, instrument, aux) and probably ten plugins, which plays back fine on Tiger, on a mere Mac Mini with 1 GB of RAM.

On a Mac Mini with Leopard and 2 GB of RAM, PT 7.4 says "You have run out of CPU".

But guess what - it also says that if you try it on Leopard on a brand new Mac Pro with 16 GB of ram and 8 cores...

Something's definitely not right!

21. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up danielearwicker.
    I will have to experiment more.
    I have a fairly large commercial recording to do in mid Feb and I just sort of assumed everything was working alright.

I certainly hope digidesign comes out with a patch before then.

22. wilsongs macrumors newbie

New MacBook and 003 rack

I'm getting the error, "Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program."

Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

23. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

Are you using Protools 7.3?

If so upgrade to Protools7.4 and it should launch....however as noted in this same thread it may still have issues with Multiple tracks in Leopard.

24. imatotaldude macrumors newbie

Pro Tools LE 7.4 on Lepoard

im not sure what the deal is officially with Digidesign, but it seems like everyone is having different results using pro tools with Leopard.

I run a 17" Mac Book Pro w/ 2GB of RAM, Pro Tools LE 7.4 and an Mbox2, and everything seems to be working fine! somehow 7.4 clearly is compatible with Leopard. I run some pretty big projects with plenty of plug-ins and tracks and everything works great.<p>
    The only minor glitch i find, is that the Xpand plug-in is tinted yellow. However, it still works fine!

good luck to everyone still having difficulty! Because at this point im getting a little frustrated about how long it is taking Digidesign to produce new drivers and software for Leopard, and im not even the one having problems.
    :apple:

25. QuintVisk macrumors newbie

I have found a temporary solution for anyone who is having issues.

I installed Tiger on an external USB 2.0 drive and am using that as a boot drive. I installed Protools onto that drive and am running it externally.
    Seems to work just fine
    If you have an external firewire drive you should be able to slave your digi through there.