probability of MacBook Pro release in June, 2008

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phrygiana, Mar 22, 2008.

  1. phrygiana macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    Location:
    South Korea
    #1
    Considering the purchase of Mac Book Pro, what stops me from
    immediate decision is that, based on the past record of Apple
    new product release pattern, the recent update does not seem a
    real one, meaning that it was just a speed-bump. Some of you may
    remember the quick replacement of the last G5-based iMac by the
    Intel-based one two years ago, the interval of which simply broke
    the "normal" pattern of product update. And the news of Intel
    releasing new platform slated for May or June seems to add to the
    conditional probability that new one will come. I know asking this
    question will sound stupid, but I am just curious..What's your opinions?
     
  2. Aea macrumors 6502a

    Aea

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    Location:
    Denver, Colorado
    #2
    June? Doubt it, but who knows. Also, the textbox will autowarp, no need to worry about adding breaks :)
     
  3. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #3
    I wouldn't hold your breath for new announcements before September.
     
  4. macnewbie13 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #4
    idk, I'd wait just to make sure. I was at the Apple store the other day and the employee i was talking to was telling me how he usually only keeps his MBP for like a year and then sells it and then buys a new one but this year he is waiting a little longer because of the new chip set coming out and because of the rumors of a shell re-design. So if an Apple employee is waiting, I'd say wait before buying just to be safe.
     
  5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #5
    Considering that they were updated in February? It's possible, but I wouldn't expect anything before the Fall. Ditto with the Macbooks.
     
  6. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #6
    Unlikely.

    In fr the last few years all there has been is incremental speed bumps, a new screen and now multitouch.

    I'm waiting for bluray to come out before I seriously start thinking about a new machine.
     
  7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #7
    Apple employee's know the same as you & me about updates which is squat
     
  8. Sogo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    #8
    Hmm I don't think that they will redesign the macbook pro until after school starts. I say this simply because i know that intel will release their next architecture in june, and updating the macbook pro again after only 4 months may be premature. The new processors will probably go into the new Mac Pro first and then later in the year it will be integrated into the laptop. You know, the new design may even wait till early 2009. (but a new design has always been on the horizon, and it keeps getting pushed back) :)

    just my 2 Cents.
     
  9. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #9
    Imo it is highly likely there will be new MBP's by this summer.
     
  10. brand macrumors 601

    brand

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #10
    An Apple employee is no different than anyone else when it comes to waiting. They know no more about when a release is coming than you or me.
     
  11. theLimit macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #11
    With Montevina scheduled to release the first week of June, I would expect PC manufacturers to be shipping laptops by July. Given Apple's normal lag behind the rest of the industry, I would guess August at the earliest for an update, but probably closer to October in order to sell out the current version during the back-to-school rush.
     
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #12
    This front-page story from a little while back makes me think that we'll see new mbps and possibly macbooks by late June.

    It seems that Intel wants to do away with older chips at a much faster rate than before, and is expecting Apple to play along.
     
  13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #13
    I'm not sure why you think this wasn't a real update. It was as real as any others.

    The only thing the new platform coming in June adds for the Macbook Pro is a new chipset and 1066MHz FSB chips. It's no more substantial an upgrade than the one we just had.

    Also since Intel theoretically launched this new CPU in January but it took months for companies to actually start shipping it, there's a chance the same thing will happen this June (maybe August before we start seeing anyone use it?)

    It's *possible* Apple will update the design the next time, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SPECIAL about the upcoming update that would make Apple update the design. It's possible, but it was just as likely they would have done it this last time, and just as likely they'll do it two times from now.

    It's also possible Apple will bump the next update in some other way, but again it would have nothing to do with Intel's update.
     
  14. DarkRevenant macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    #14
    I really hope they either update mid summer or wait until 2009 - I'm going to be buying a laptop for college over the summer and I will kick myself if they upgrade right after the back to school rush for computers. :confused:
     
  15. thinkband macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    #15
    I am going to get a laptop probably in the next month or so. If they update, don't care. Its gonna be a small leap anyways.
     
  16. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #16
    I agree and with that I'll be one who is "for now" waiting until the next update/upgrade unless the rumored chips for the first part of 09' look way to good, then I'll hold out a tad longer.
    Of course those that need will buy and should, those that can wait will :p
     
  17. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #17
    There's nothing rumored about Intel's next generation CPU. It looks fantastic. It's just a matter of whether you want to wait that long. Odds are we're talking January of next month at the EARLIEST, with a full year out from now quite possible.
     
  18. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #18
    You might wanna think twice about how much you want to upgrade. From the looks of things, it seems the MBP/MB's will be getting a major (aka re-designed case) update within Q3 or Q4 this year. It might be worth the wait...:D
     
  19. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

    Fonzijr1964

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    Location:
    Maryland
    #19
    June thru november are apple time i would say they will update it in june at WWDC (the only reson being to get college students to buy) or in late aug or Early sep(this is more for desktops) November is more for iPods:)
     
  20. jvette macrumors 6502

    jvette

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #20
    I was going to purchase a new MBP when the update came but decided to wait a couple more months because I think the case is getting dated looking. What's a couple more months.
     
  21. hephem macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #21
    Oh c'mon guys, don't say so stupid things.

    I mean, we're talking about a case redesign here. Apple wouldn't make an update of this kind without an event... So it will be either this summer at WWDC or at Macworld 2009.

    Apple is having a great market strategy, their guys aren't sleeping. Those who actually will buy this last February update, will be a fool. Cause this last update has 2 intentions:

    - follow Intel policies of puting on the market as much Penryns as they can during the year. In order to be on time for the others updates scheduled to November (?): cf. Nahalem.

    - Make people buy a MBP because of the "stupid" added features such as Multitouch (for which I remind trackpad was not elarged) and make them buy once again a redesign MBP (with also a larger trckpad).

    So my guess is that Apple will do another update "soon", forced by Intel policies (this time, of adding the Montevina platform), to avoid being out dated by the PC concurrence, to earn even more with 2 MBP updates... If the update has to be soon and whitin an event I'd say June...

    Cheers.
     
  22. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #22
    Waiting is easy for now and going for some schooling won't start until Nov. this year so that's fine. I really want to get a 17" MBP to replace my iMac since AppleCare is up in Dec/Jan. If I like what I see this summer I may jump for it then but I'm really in no hurry for need sake, mentally that's a whole different issue ;)

    I thought that Intel had mentioned their new mobile chips for Jan/Feb of 09' or at least that it would be something awesome for the first quarter of next year (I know talking about next year already :rolleyes: just getting a game-plan on for my piggy bank).
     
  23. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #23
    I bought my macbook pro a few weeks ago, and don't really care if they update it the next week or a few months from now. In 2005 when I bought my iPod Photo, the iPod video came out a few days later, I was mad at myself for not seeing if something new was coming out, but in the end, it doesn't matter, I still enjoy my iPod even though it can't play videos, I probably wouldn't use that feature anyways. I'm thoroughly impressed with my macbook pro, even if apple updates it in the near future.
     
  24. MoeOz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #24
    Nelham

    my rockin is next year :) jus go for it dont wait .
     
  25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #25
    June's unlikely, unless Intel's early with the new chipset. August seems more realistic, maybe July at the earliest.

    In the first place, you're talking about probably 5 months until the next update. More to the point though, there's no reason to think they're changing the case then. People have speculated they were going to do that every update for the last two years. There's nothing special about the upcoming update that would mean a case redesign. If it dosen't happen, will you keep waiting until Feb/March of next year? And then the following summer/fall, etc.? If you need it, buy it, if not, don't expect anything in particular for an update beyond knowing what types of CPUs will be in it.

    Intel's next generation CPU will *NOT* be out by then. Most likely it will be coming at the earliest roughly a year from now (January-March '09). For November, the only update available from Intel will be a version of the current CPU with a faster FSB (1066Mhz versus 800MHz currently), which is worth a speed grade or so.

    If you need it for November, there's only going to be one more bump, at best (as mentioned above).
     

Share This Page