Problem Solved: New MB & MBP "Glassy" screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyosuke, Oct 28, 2008.

1. kyosuke macrumors newbie

A friend of mine just discovered a way to cut out the so-called "glassy" issue. Both he believed that there was a way to truly make the MacBook Pro work, no matter how difficult it was to put up with the irritating glassy screen. I didn't believe that he could come up with anything. Especially since he tried to calibrate the screen twice and even tried working in a very dark room. Which of course was very inconvenient and troubling to do that everyday. So just tonight he came up with a solution that was so simple and idiotic, yet very brilliant.

He decides to cover the black border around the screen with automotive blue tape and other materials similar. Stupid as this may sound. It was a very affordable and somewhat fashion success. The screen is not so glassy anymore and it protects the sides from minor scratches. On top of that you don't have to worry about finger prints getting to the shiny borders either.

Just take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Sorry that some of the pictures are upside down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Woah, I have no words. Apple really needs to step up and offer non-reflective screen options. People don't need to put stuff on their screen so that they can be happy using it.

Wait till speck or incase comes up with something similar :)

3. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Man - if I ever buy the refreshed MBP's, I would never do anything as horrible as that. :eek:

I'm waiting for Powersupport to release a film and see what the reviews are like, then I might finally be rid of my G4 powerbook.

4. drvelocity macrumors member

Wow.. are you serious? I feel sorry for people who bought this thing at this point.. My advice: take off the blue tape and go buy a sheet of Anti-reflective film.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its clear that you don't care what your laptop looks like so why didn't you just buy a refurb matte non unibody MBP?? That's just ridiculous.

6. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Wow thats an extremely strange thing to see on a new Frankenbook already. Wonder how that really helps when the rest of the screen is still glossy and reflective.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm surprised those pictures don't have the words "EPIC FAIL" stamped on them!

8. iBecks macrumors 6502

9. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to find someone who can actually take apart this screen and try to custom fit a matte screen. I doubt that I will find someone. So for now I'll just do a lot tests. I already have the previous generation MBP. I just wanted to see what this one's got and compare it to my old one.

10. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I couldn't resist after the 'request' from Spanky :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

HAHAHAHAHHHAAHA!! Brilliant!

12. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

:cool:

My work is done - Off home, sure my boss will be impressed.

13. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

This some really funny feedback and I would like to thank everyone for your comment and to please leave some more because I am really interested in reading the comments.

14. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

LOL... Well like I said, keep an eye out on this site and wait for reviews before bludgeoning your new MBP.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/

15. bananabar macrumors regular

I don't see how tape on the BORDER stops the SCREEN from being reflective.

16. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Before i tormented my MBP, I did consider waiting for an anti-glare shield. But I think that, that would create a kind of rainbow effect on the screen therefore making it worst. But at this point, I'm just turning this into a science project. So I'll try out whatever products come out to help cure the reflection. and glassy effect. I'm planning to do a lot of reviews and tests on this thing.

Hopefully Apple will get rid of the black border and glassy screen or at least just add another option for people who don't like to live in caves. BTW the MB could also use a firewire port and possibly a matte option as well. I'm sure some will agree.

17. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

A lot agree, but apple aint gonna do it

18. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

"I don't see how tape on the BORDER stops the SCREEN from being reflective" -Bananabar

It eliminates the reflection coming off of the black borders.

What would be the best solution would be to make the borders an aluminum color. Aluminum is very neutral and therefore doesn't compete with other colors making it easier on the eyes (in my opinion). The black border is extremely reflective and by adding the tape the reflection is not there anymore and eliminates the added stress on your eyes when light hits it. Well that's just how I feel. Because you're not dependent on the borders, why make it so glossy? Being that its just there, its not very helpful and I feel that it creates more glare than necessary. For example look at the MBA. It has a glossy screen, but compare it to the MB or MBP its not as glossy. Now why is that. I really think that it has to do with the border.

19. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Not going to happen.

20. bananabar macrumors regular

Out of interest, why did you buy a new MBP if it was going to cause you so many problems?

21. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I just by whatever mac comes out just so that I can see what its like and find the flaws and successes in each of the computers. That's about it. So far I like the new MBP because of the mini DVI it is actually very nice when I hook it up to my 30" HDTV downstairs and run a lot of programs. The other thing that I like about this computer is the fact that it has the unibody design which makes it a lot easier to upgrade.

So although the screen for me is a deal breaker. I still found some good in it and will probably just use it as a desktop even though I have the mac pro and mac mini already. The keys are also further apart making them feel dead and the delete key squeaks a lot! The track pad has a nice touch to it, however sometimes the cursor fails to move and gets stuck once in a while. So I just found a lot of negatives about this computer, but now I would like to improve on the negatives and find a way to overcome them.

22. belvdr macrumors 603

But I can still see your reflection on the screen when you took the photos. I think the problem is the reflection on the screen, because that's where your work is. The work is not on the border of the screen.

23. kyosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes you still can see my reflection, but its only limited to the space that which I am actually using. So when i have a lot of windows up, I can't even see the reflection. I should take off the tape and compare the two.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I think it will at least give a better understanding of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]