Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing issues with Google Streets on the new iPad 10.5? When I try to go into Street View from the Google Maps app, there's a delay of between 5-15 seconds for the street view to display (displays an off white background until the image loads). I'm not seeing this issue on my 9.7 or 12.9 Pro (2015), connected to the same WiFi networks (I've also tried other WiFis and I see the same timings). All versions (iOS, Google Maps, etc) are the latest available. I've tried uninstalling Google Maps, reboots, everything except resetting the iPad. If I use Google Earth to access Street View it loads within a second. The issue is specific to how Google Maps loads Street View.

My next step is to visit an Apple Store and try a 10.5 there. I did send a report to Google, but who knows if they even look at them. Thanks,

Steve

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Yes, I have the same issue with my 10.5.

I reported it in the Google Maps app, do you think there's anything else we need to do to get this fixed by Google/Apple? This is one of my favorite apps on the iPad so I'd hate to have to live with this problem. Thanks for responding, now I know it's not just me!

Steve

Nitram83

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2017
I reported it in the Google Maps app, do you think there's anything else we need to do to get this fixed by Google/Apple? This is one of my favorite apps on the iPad so I'd hate to have to live with this problem. Thanks for responding, now I know it's not just me!

Steve

Not only that, but once the street view loads (if it actually manages to load) and you exit out of street view, the app becomes completely unresponsive for me. I have to force quit the app and relaunch it. This is incredibly frustrating as I use street view all of the time. I hope google has a quick solution for this. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thalyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Not only that, but once the street view loads (if it actually manages to load) and you exit out of street view, the app becomes completely unresponsive for me. I have to force quit the app and relaunch it. This is incredibly frustrating as I use street view all of the time. I hope google has a quick solution for this. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I have exactly the same problems. I have reported via the app but I won't hold my breath for a reply or a quick fix.

Reactions: Nitram83

Thalyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Besides not fixing the street view problem, with the update I can no longer send a problem report as the captcha endlessly loops. Has anyone else seen this problem?

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
I mentioned the issue the last time I was in the Apple store but once I told them it didn't affect Apple Maps they became very uninterested. So if Google doesn't care I doubt Apple is spending much time on the issue either.

I saw a similar issue with Kindle, my first tablet(s). Google was never in the Amazon app store so I would side load it to the Kindle, inconvenient, but it worked. When the Kindle HDX came out I noticed Google Maps did not display properly on the tablet. Roads would be missing and text unreadable. I reported the issue to both Amazon (not a supported app) and Google (they only care about true Android tablets). Bottom line is that to this day Google Maps doesn't work on a Kindle HDX.

I hope the story is better for GM on IPP, but the same competitive forces still hold true. Apple would rather you use their Maps app and Google would rather you use Android. Besides, from an iOS perspective, the IPP numbers are in the noise relative to iPhone, so what's the urgency for Google?

Cheffievrs

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Having the same issue with my 2017 12.9. I thought it was just me, pleased it's not..

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Just had another Google Maps update (4.33.15) appear on my iPad 10.5, just one day after the last update. Unfortunately after installing it the issue still exists. I'm starting to lose hope that this issue will be addressed. From now on I'm sending feedback once a day from the app describing the issue.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Same disappointment here. I've been reporting it periodically to Goggle through the app feedback but I wonder if we should be reporting it through formal Apple support channels?

I have another post asking if iOS 11 beta users see the issue to get more facts on the problem. Google has had plenty of time to address the issue so I'm starting to think it might not be simple to solve. Given that Streets works fine on the same iOS version running on my Gen 1 iPP 12.9, I'm guessing it an incompatibility between Google Maps and the hardware.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
We are now several Google Maps releases past the IPP release and still no fix. I'm beginning to think that either Google is unable to resolve the issue, or, they aren't that interested. Has anyone contacted Apple to see if they are aware of the problem? I've posted on the Google support forums but I haven't tried Apple support yet.

Stavros86

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Same issue with my 10.5 iPad Pro.
The street view image will not show up, until I go back to the map and then enter street view again.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Steve

I think it would be a low priority issue for google to fix anything for the iPad to work better.

Stavros86

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Mines the same, however it freezes and locks up..!
I did not notice any crashes or freezes.
Only the fact that I have to enter, exit and then enter back again, in order to make it show street view images.
At least now I know that I am not the only one seeing this behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.