Problem with window users calling the iPad a oversized iPod!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WizardHunt, Apr 6, 2010.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Does anyone out there hear from Windows users not understanding the iPad and they immediately call it a oversized iPod? That really gets my blood boiling! They are either jealous of the iPad or they won't admit that it could actually change how people use computers in different environments.

A University in Pennsyvania are going to issue their students their own iPad for a certain class. I missed all the details however the University obviously thinks highly of the device or why would they do this?

It just bothers me when theses Windows Users think they have the greatest machine and operating system ( Which by the way includes includes all the viruses and spyware you can want LOL).

Does anyone else get this stupid feedback from people that thinks that their HP Slate will be so much better with all their viruses and spyware and so on?
    Or people that think that the iPad is nothing but a oversized iPod?

Any opinion?

2. aerodoc macrumors member

I hear this, but just don't care. Why should you really? If you like it, that's all that matters.

3. mcl macrumors regular

Just one: I think it's an oversized iPod, and I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro, which is on my desk next to my Macbook, which is charging my iPhone (I have two, along with every generation of iPod except the iPod Touch). Across the room are my AppleTV and my Airport BS. On the other end of my desk is my still-functioning Apple //e with hardcard, CP/M card, homebrew IDE interface, and homebrew Ethernet card.

Characterizing anyone who doesn't see a need for the iPad as blinkered Windows users is behaving in exactly the way you're accusing your strawmen of behaving.

4. Zujo macrumors newbie

My roommate never called it an oversized iPhone but he was thoroughly unimpressed and hasn't asked to see it or use it once.

Then this morning he gave me a huge lecture about not hitting on his girlfriend - when it was she who was pawing all over me last night looking at my pictures and such. The second I tossed the iPad on my bed she let out a very audible groan of disappointment. Small sample size but I think the chics dig it :)

As for Windows users hating, haters gonna hate. They are either jealous or they don't need it. Either way their opinion is not relevant. This device, unlike the iPhone, is not for everybody. But those who it is for will absolutely love it.

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Yeah I hear you but yet it still bothers me somewhat.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

iphone = "ipad shuffle"

.. at least that's what a friend called it two days ago...
    now they already start making fun of the little one!

anyway, I am desperately looking forward for an available ipad in germany. come on, apfel!

8. jwflutterby macrumors regular

That's what I call it and it's what I'm typing on one right now plus I had one reserved for Apple store pickup and one delivered to my house just to make SURE I had one on launch day ;) What's wrong w/ calling it a big iPod Touch???

9. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well put!

10. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Nothing I guess. I think when someone does reply with " it's just a oversized iPod ". Then I should say, maybe but it is so much more than that!

I guess I will get over others calling it that but why do people buy larger TV's?
    So they can see more and do more without trying to strain your eyes LOL.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, and why do people buy 15" laptops when there are cheaper 13" laptops, etc. etc.

12. raremage macrumors 6502a

To an extent, it is an oversized iPod. It's much more than. That as well, but it's as good a starting point as any in the education of people interested in the device.

13. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I agree like in most cases in life most things are best if they are bigger! :D

14. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I suppose you are correct in this as well. At least they are aware of the device and that alone is a good starting point.

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

If anyone is going to take it personally, it should be Apple...

I bought an iPad mainly because it was a larger version of an iPod Touch. I loved my iPod Touch, but kept wishing it was larger and now we have the iPad.

You could always tell them it's an iPod HD or Touch HD. :D

16. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Well... first off, I think the "mac vs pc" war is a bit lame. I wouldn't take any critcism of any products I use personally, to the point of bothering me (much less to make my blood boil). They're just products we buy by choice. I'd suggest to lighten up: life's too short to waste it in such arguments (unless you're a major Apple stockholder, in which case I'd say boil on!) :)

I'd even say that frankly, I do like the fact of Apple computers not being mainstream, and most people not really understanding them: sets a way of differentiation when some of my corporate clients look at it and start asking questions about OS X, or just admire the design - they're not used to see macs - and the quality they produce - in my line of work. For Pro users, It will be a shame when Apple gets as big and popular as PCs... so the more PC users go against macs, the better - fierce competition is what made Apple competent in the first place.

About the iPad - I've heard this from lots of Apple users too - even in this forums. The claim is that the iPad is an oversized iPod Touch - and personally I do agree. I can see certain activities in which the iPad will prove its value - but for most, it'll be a new shiny expensive toy. As a concept, I guess it's a nice start, but I do hope the product evolves to something more useful - like having OS X, a USB port, real multitasking, 3G connection, a webcam, etc. As of now, I just don't think its a great product IMO.

Cheers!

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I am a OS X user and I call it an oversized iPhone. Well, because it is (- the phone capabilities).

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"Your $800 HP laptop is nothing but an oversized netbook."

Same diff. Don't let it bug you because they're not ONE OF US. It is quite a dumb argument considering all the above examples, especially "HDTV is just a bigger TV." Ask them why any of them have televisions bigger than 3 inches if extra screen size doesn't matter. As someone who likes the Kindle app on the iPhone, I can tell you that tripling the screen size WOULD BE A HUGE DEAL.

19. supplieripad macrumors newbie

I don't care what they say. It's funny because some of the people that say all this, eventually thinks of getting an iPad ;) Even if it may look as an "oversized" iPhone or iPod, I think that the iPad has a huge potential of becoming the best replacement for laptop...so...let the haterz talk. :)

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Here's an idea: Find an app with separate iPhone and iPad versions and install both on your iPad. Then you can easily show them the difference between a 2x iPhone application ("THIS is a big iPod touch"), and then the iPad version ("and THIS is an iPad.").

21. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

That's not a correct analogy really, the HP laptop one yeah, I am compelled to agree on that actually :p, but that's my hate towards windows talking.

HDTV one isn't correct, as HDTV have nothing to do with the actual screensize and is about resolution. Another thing that also makes that analogy quite strange is that TVs main selling point is not "on the go". Making a TV 10" bigger won't really hurt the usage of it. Making a portable device 10" bigger will most likely make the usage quite strange.

22. yyy macrumors regular

How is this different than all those people who make fun of the Mac and iPhone? They've always been there and sometimes they're right but if you enjoy your product you should just ignore them, unless you subconsciously agree with them ;)

23. Meatball macrumors regular

You seem to conclude that anyone who uses Windows hates all things apple, WRONG. I'm a long term user of Windows, all my PCs are loaded with Windows 7 and I find it the best operating system for my needs. That doesn't mean I hate all things Apple, quite the opposite in fact:
    I love iTunes
    I love my iPod
    I love my soon to be iPhone.
    I think the iPad is a bit 'meh', I find the form factor a bit awkward.
    OS X is a good operating system, I just don't enjoy using it.

Most Colleges/Universities in the UK use Windows computers and Microsoft Office.

I'll stick to my spyware infested, virus riddled, common as muck Windows :).

To conclude: Stop with the childish Apple Vs Microsoft war. Some people prefer cats, some prefer dogs. Some like the colour pink, others hate it. Some people use Windows, other people use OS X. It's life, it would be boring it we all liked and used the same things. There is no need to divide society up because of it, that's primitive.

24. Mrwhite macrumors newbie

??? Apple is now a mainstream brand, what your saying might of been correct 2 years ago, but as i see it now so many people are using mac's for no other reason but branding, thanks to iphone, iphone etc and this is what frustrates me being a long time apple user is seeing all these convets because of the fad i understand your talking about the corporate world, but the consumer market is flooded by apple

25. moocat macrumors member

It is an oversized Itouch...with which you can actually browse the web, read your mail, type papers, play games, and almost everything your laptop can do.

All things that you can only do half-assedly on an itouch. :)