Production delays on iPhone x

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spooner83, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
?

Is Apple really having production issues or are they purposely not funding a fast production?

1. Really having issues they don't know how to fix

2. Lying, they're not funding a fast enough production

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

It really disappoints me that the iPhone x has such a limited production. I mean, not even a quarter of the units made for iPhone 8 are being made for iPhone x. This is the shortest supple for an iPhone Apple has ever had, it seems. I can't believe that a company as wealthy and famous as Apple can't get their **** together to produce enough of a product that so many customer want. It shows flaws in their company in my opinion. It's like they really aren't as amazing as customers think. It's a weakness. If they really wanted to meet the customers' demand, they would. If they can't, they are not as great as we think they actually are. Samsung was getting note 8's shipped to people before the release date. Samsung is on top of their game. Apple is failing so miserably. I mean, you're Apple! Yet, you can't get enough of these produced to meet the majority of customer's pre-orders to fulfill your iPhone x release date?? Pathetic.

[​IMG]

2. Coconut_one macrumors member

By the time you get one the new iphone will be out

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

We really have no idea where they are at. Let's just wait and see.

4. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Nobody knows how many units will be available at launch. Yeah it will be hard to get but right now we don't know all the details on how much stock goes to the online stock or even the phone carriers.

6. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

I think these delays are intentional and have nothing to do with a supply shortage. Apple was unsure how the X and the weird notch were going to be received. If there was a lot of backlash over it they wouldn’t be sitting on a stockpile of phones that no one wants.

7. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I love Apple but every year they have a certain model iPhone that has production delays. This year, it's the iPhone X. Apple proudly admits their fixes to every release of iOS in order to make the operating system more convenient and smarter. So, you'd think they'd do the same and learn from mistakes on iPhone production errors. It's just silly that they have production issues on the new iPhone that is supposed to be groundbreaking.

Like, "oh, we have this amazing new smartphone that does all this cool stuff but we're not smart enough to fix our production line errors that we've had for ten years. So, you won't get one on release day unless you wait outside the store overnight to try and get one of the 4 units that your local Apple store has" It's so frustrating!! Apple is better than this. I feel like we're being treated like mindless sheep.

8. cokomayi macrumors newbie

cokomayi

9. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I'm obsessed and want to know the arrival times on pre-ordering on day one. I've waited so long for this small iPhone with a dual lens.

10. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

It’s not the same production line errors.

Every new device will have its own yield and production problems.

Every time I come out with something new, I always have these problems. Sometimes it takes a year to get things running as smooth as I want them.

11. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Yeah. Apple intentionally restricts how many units they'll ship to customers, thereby hurting their profits because ... reasons. :rolleyes:

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You're gonna get blasted with a bunch of people telling you how difficult it is to produce iPhones on a massive scale. And to be fair, they are certainly correct. But yea, everyyyy year and every product has some kind of delay that limits numbers at launch. Really makes you wonder.

13. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Precisely why I went to bed at 9pm and didn't stay up to midnight to order my 8 Plus. I knew that plenty would be available at 4am when I woke up... and they were. Order shows 22nd delivery.

Thank you X buyers. :)

14. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Yet, Samsung came back after having a phone that literally blows up in your hands, to meet customer's demands even before the release date. I'm losing respect for Apple.

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Oh undoubtedly if they poured a ton of money into production they could get it out in quantity a lot quicker - the trouble is in doing so they'd wipe out the profit from the device entirely and then some...

16. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

because spacing them out over months instead of a week guarantees profits and demand for months.

17. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Denying potential customers a device and delaying giving it to them for months increases the chances those customers will go purchase something else. Or won't get anything and will just wait for the 'next thing'.

No, there's no salacious conspiracy here. It's simply the consequence of trying to manufacture cutting edge technology with new factories (to try to produce the mass volumes of that new tech) for millions upon millions upon millions of customers. There's always issues with new tech and the production thereof. There always has been and there always will be. Companies like Apple absolutely want to get as many of these devices into the hands of customers as quickly as possible.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Oh, sure. Now we're expected to listen to someone who actually has experience with production lines issues! :D

19. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

20. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

1. Demand for a new iPhone near release is usually much higher then demand for a new Samsung. 2. The Note 8 is basically an S8 with a stylus. 3. Samsung is Apple's only supplier for the OLED panel with 3D Touch, so shortages can be expected based on demand. 4. Apple doesn't care about having your respect.

21. KrisLord macrumors 65832

There are no real problems year after year, it’s all the analysts trying to get attention.

Apple produce iPhones to manage the peak demand period, but they don’t produce to match that peak demand, as that would be extremely inefficient.

So it’s normal for demand to exceed supply when the new iPhone products launch.

If Apple added additional production, that capital investment would be wasted when the peak demand had subsided.

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Sounds more like the real issue is impatience. You don't want to wait for the new phone. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

23. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

By the time we're done reading that the next iPhone will be out.

24. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Many people are more inclined to want to try and rush to get that order in if they feel it will be hard to get.

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I wonder if Apple is pushing us to buy the 8. I want the sim-free, but if I don't get one by Dec./Jan., I might as well wait for XS.