Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than a week ago Apple unveiled its new MacBook Pro line-up, with the focus of its "Hello again" event centering on the OLED Touch Bar that replaces the function keys on the company's 13-inch and 15-inch flagship models.

Initial media reaction to Apple's event was positive, and most journalists in attendance were impressed after their limited hands-on time with the new machines. "There's all kinds of love for the new MacBook Pro," reported The Loop the following morning, in a post citing quotes from several leading tech sites.

f1477589929-800x361.jpg

Over the weekend, however, evidence mounted of a backlash within sections of the online Mac community in response to Apple's latest announcements. In a blog post on his site titled "New MacBook Pros and the State of the Mac", developer Michael Tsai collated and linked to the most commonly aired grievances. The post has since become a common point of reference in the blogosphere for negative sentiment toward Apple following last week's event.

In his original post, Tsai said he was "disappointed" with Apple's announcements for the Mac, which made him feel as if Cupertino had either "lost touch" with what developers and creative professionals want, or Apple "simply doesn't care about those customers".
There's nothing particularly wrong with what Apple announced. I like Thunderbolt 3. The display looks good. I'm not crazy about Touch Bar, but it does seem potentially useful. The problem is that the MacBook Pro is not a true Pro notebook.

My Retina MacBook Pro is almost 4.5 years old. I've been wanting to upgrade it for a while and was planning to do so today. After seeing what was announced, I'm no longer sure that I want a MacBook Pro as my main computer.
The subsequent catalog of grievances largely mirror Tsai's own complaints, which include the "premium price" of a "Pro" MacBook limited to 16GB RAM, the prioritization of "thinness and lightness" over CPU and graphics performance, and Apple's "neglect" of other sections of its Mac product line. Tsai concludes: "It has seemed clear for a while that the CEO doesn't really understand the Mac, or simply doesn't like it that much, and that's a problem for those of us who do."

On Monday, both The Loop and Daring Fireball highlighted Tsai's post, noting its growing inventory of criticisms. The Loop said the list contained "a lot of fair complaints" that are "insights... worth paying attention to". Daring Fireball's John Gruber called the extent of the backlash "astounding" and described Tsai's collection of quotes as "must-read stuff".

In another widely shared article titled "How Apple could have avoided much of the controversy", developer Chuq Von Rospach wrote that while much of the criticism ignores "a lot of the positives" in Apple's latest announcements, the company should have at least mentioned upcoming updates to the rest of its product line, which would "have muted a lot of the anger".

Von Rospach goes on to speculate about what those updates might be, broaches some of the issues regarding Apple's new notebooks (the 16GB RAM ceiling, an increase in dongles) and concludes by suggesting that creative professionals need to realize the Mac line has become a "niche product" in a world driven by market forces where Apple technology has gone mainstream. The full article can be read here.

The impassioned online debate comes at an important time for Apple, which hopes to boost interest in a lukewarm computer market this holiday season, following the company's first reported full-year revenue decline since 2001. Its Touch Bar enabled 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks are expected to ship in late November. Meanwhile, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar is already shipping to customers and more comprehensive reviews of Apple's lower-spec notebook are expected this week.

Article Link: Professional Mac Users' Complaints List Grows After 'Disappointing' Apple Event

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It'd be great to say "What you need from a computer means the Mac Pro would be more for you" ... but Apple haven't updated it in ages.

I assume the company is focusing on particular areas of the Mac lineup. MacBook Pro first, then iMac... the question is: what next?

I'm assuming the Mac mini is a bottom priority.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
A lot of these people are living in the past. We are where Steve Jobs predicted we'd be, living in a post-PC era where the market for high-end traditional computer products is a niche within an already tiny niche.

What Tim and Apple are doing is absolutely right for the company. Those complaining and hating on Apple and Tim are broadly speaking living in the dark ages.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Consumers are lucky you're getting a computer at all. If I were apple I would have doubled the MacBook prices to increase their profits even more
With that attitude why not multiply the iPhone prices by 2 as well, then went bankrupt some months later...

A lot of these people are living in the past. We are where Steve Jobs predicted we'd be, living in a post-PC era where the market for high-end traditional computer products is a niche within an already tiny niche.

What Tim and Apple are doing is absolutely right for the company. Those complaining and hating on Apple and Tim are broadly speaking living in the dark ages.

With 16 gb max ram it is hardly high-end!

Last edited:

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic

Those complaining and hating on Apple and Tim are mainly the people that create all the ****ing content people are consuming in this glorious post-PC era.

Last edited:

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure the sales numbers for these Macs will do nothing to change the downward tendency of Apple's Mac business. I hope they see this as a sign to seriously revamp their product line, creating computers that cater to the "professional creative" userbase that has been at the core of the Mac's success until now, instead of using the decline in sales to further gimp the Mac line or slowly kill it altogether.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK

You are right that today's core clients for Apple are no longer the creatives or the professionals but the mainstream public (just look at the iPhone sales). I think it's sad for all the folks out there who have been loyal to Apple for the past 10 years because this really didn't turn out into their dream MacBook Pro. The priorities are clear now, thinner and more mobile seems to be better than "thicker and more powerful."

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think Apple has to share at least some of the blame here. They kept Mac users waiting for so long (partly compounded by Intel's continued delays), that there was really no way they could live up to all that hype and pent up anticipation. Especially when you are dealing with people who depend on Macs for their living.

The iMac and Mac Pro are still MIA. We might see a refresh early next year hopefully. I don't think Apple will ever give up on the Mac, but their silence in this area has been both frustrating and alarming.

That said, I don't think that Apple was wrong to give equal attention to battery life and portability. The number of people who truly need 32 gb of ram is probably over-represented here, and not indicative of Apple's overall user base. I dare say most people will benefit equally from 16 gb ram, long battery life and a thin and light form factor.

I am not sad to see MagSafe go. With longer battery life, we aren't plugging in our laptops as often as before and accidents should become less common. Same with USB C. I will give up 6-7 single-purpose ports for 4 multi-purpose ports any time of the day.

Throw in the fast SSD and it's a solid update however I look at it, albeit one that seems half a year late. The touchbar probably kept it from the rumored wwdc event.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Von Rospach goes on to speculate about what those updates might be, broaches some of the issues regarding Apple's new notebooks (the 16GB RAM ceiling, the increase in dongles) and concludes by suggesting that creative professionals need to realize the Mac line has become a "niche product" in a world driven by market forces where Apple technology has gone mainstream.
Apparently mainstream users have need for 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports and nothing else.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
It'd be great to say "What you need from a computer means the Mac Pro would be more for you" ... but Apple haven't updated it in ages.

I assume the company is focusing on particular areas of the Mac lineup. MacBook Pro first, then iMac... the question is: what next?

I'm assuming the Mac mini is a bottom priority.

Some of you guys need to start being more realistic. Apple focuses on their most POPULAR products first. Are you really surprised that the Mac mini and Mac Pro take longer to receive updates?

iPhones are their most popular iOS devices and MacBooks/MacBook Pros are their most popular computers...

It's unfortunate, but Apple is huge and their focus shifts over time. So is life...

darkmavis1980

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
I'm a pro user and to me the new macbook pro is rather disappointing.
Don't understand why apple charge €240 for 8GB of RAM when the actual cost is €40, same for che CPU and SSD upgrades.
The touchbar sounds like something that could be cool for 1 hour, and then become something completely useless to me.
Also the price is far too high, the entry macbook pro starting at €1799 and to get only 8GB of RAM and an i5 dual core?
I honestly can't justify that price tag for such an underpowered machine.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
What bothers me the most is the attitude of Apple, acting like there's nothing to worry about. Making us feel stupid for criticizing product updates. The word "amazing" has lost every context for Apple products.

"Making products we love to use ourselves."

Doesn't feel like this anymore. It's pushing sales with marketing without innovating. The "product people" lost the game at Apple. It's a shame they have used "Hello again" as a reference.

Edit: This is exactly what I'm talking about: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ook-pro-than-any-previous-generation.2011887/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.