Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your Prometheus Rating

• 1/5- Aweful

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2/5- Barely Tolerable

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 3/5- OK

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 4/5- Good

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • 5/5- Great

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Not Gonna See It.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Is that from the perspective of a "story" or how a movie was crafted? There is a spoiler thread if you want to go into details. BTW, I don't expect everyone to love or even like this film. How did you feel about the original two Alien movies? :)

I really liked the first one and the second one was good from the "action" movie perspective.

- The scientist. So, lets take our masks off in the middle of a planet that we know really nothing about. Let's play with creatures we know nothing about. Yes, they take blood and run some tests, so now lets re-animate the head!

- The humanoid fighting the rather large thing that looks like it come from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Then let's have the birth of the Aliens? So this is how they are made huh..... very weak, almost like an afterthought.

- CT character was over acted, overly dramatic. I will reference the SWATH movie. Same character and I thought that character was nothing but "let me scream to get my way and I usually do". This one, let me look at you meanly and well you will do what I want. I did not care how or if her character died. She was a spoiled little brat that I had no feelings for. Didn't feel sorry for her didn't care if she took over the company or not. Blah.

- The guy who was killed by the acid comes back and wreaks havoc on the crew. Really, since when do the Alien creatures re-animate a human into super strength and pretty much takes out a good chunk of the crew. Lazy way of killing off the crew.

- The holograms? Sorry, this didn't work in my opinion.

Things I did like.

I liked Michael. I liked the build up, the first part of the movie was good. The finding and the exploration of the ruins was good. Once we got past that the movie to me went down hill.

These are just a few things that come to mind.

I did see it in 3D, the other showing by the time we got there were sold out. I didn't want to see it in 3D, however it was not bad at all. It wasn't an in your face and at some point in the film, I forgot I was watching it in 3D.

I voted awful for this one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really liked the first one and the second one was good from the "action" movie perspective.

- The scientist. So, lets take our masks off in the middle of a planet that we know really nothing about. Let's play with creatures we know nothing about. Yes, they take blood and run some tests, so now lets re-animate the head!

- The humanoid fighting the rather large thing that looks like it come from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Then let's have the birth of the Aliens? So this is how they are made huh..... very weak, almost like an afterthought.

- CT character was over acted, overly dramatic. I will reference the SWATH movie. Same character and I thought that character was nothing but "let me scream to get my way and I usually do". This one, let me look at you meanly and well you will do what I want. I did not care how or if her character died. She was a spoiled little brat that I had no feelings for. Didn't feel sorry for her didn't care if she took over the company or not. Blah.

- The guy who was killed by the acid comes back and wreaks havoc on the crew. Really, since when do the Alien creatures re-animate a human into super strength and pretty much takes out a good chunk of the crew. Lazy way of killing off the crew.

- The holograms? Sorry, this didn't work in my opinion.

Things I did like.

I liked Michael. I liked the build up, the first part of the movie was good. The finding and the exploration of the ruins was good. Once we got past that the movie to me went down hill.

These are just a few things that come to mind.

I did see it in 3D, the other showing by the time we got there were sold out. I didn't want to see it in 3D, however it was not bad at all. It wasn't an in your face and at some point in the film, I forgot I was watching it in 3D.

I voted awful for this one.

No problem with the vote and thanks for fixing your other thread. :)

Yes extremely poor choices made by "scientists" in the story. People make mistakes. The screen play makes these choices for the character, however I recognize that if a poor premise is taken too far such as blatant disregard for quarantine procedures, it could, in fact did turn you off. :)

It's back to how the black goo works by causing mutations. This particular creature came from Elizabeth's Shaw's boyfriend when they had sex. It was closest to a face hugger from the original movies, but was using her body as an egg. Once out, it used the "face huger" maneuver to impregnate the Engineer.

Unsympathetic character...

Read up on how the black goo works. You can get your cells mutated or you can get impregnated by a mutated creature. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
moved from the Prometheus 2D/3D thread:

Yes extremely poor choices made by "scientists" in the story. People make mistakes. The screen play makes these choices for the character, however I recognize that if a poor premise is taken too far such as blatant disregard for quarantine procedures, it could, in fact did turn you off. :)

It's back to how the black goo works by causing mutations. This particular creature came from Elizabeth's Shaw's boyfriend when they had sex. It was closest to a face hugger from the original movies, but was using her body as an egg. Once out, it used the "face huger" maneuver to impregnate the Engineer.

Unsympathetic character...

Read up on how the black goo works. You can get your cells mutated or you can get impregnated by a mutated creature. :)

I agree that there is an explanation for it all, however to me this did not provide enough substance to make this a good movie. One that I was hoping would be good, but it wasn't to me.

If I have to read up on how something works, the movie has lost me..LOL.

P.S. you can remove the quote from the other thread, I removed the post sorry about that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I agree that there is an explanation for it all, however to me this did not provide enough substance to make this a good movie. One that I was hoping would be good, but it wasn't to me.

If I have to read up on how something works, the movie has lost me..LOL.

P.S. you can remove the quote from the other thread, I removed the post sorry about that.

Fixed. No problem. :)

This has always been a problem with complicated stories. Books are much better vehicles for explaining such things. The movie maker does not want to inject too many explanations into their movie for fear of making it tedious, so they flash it up there and hope the viewer picks up on it. Not always successful at explaining or meeting expectations. :)

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
For me, if I have to read something in order to enjoy a movie you have lost me.

did you read the link or not? There's plenty of stuff there that won't even make a director's cut if they made one. There was a lot of symbolism that just couldn't be touched on and even if it was you'd be upset about being treated like a toddler if it was all laid out for you.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
did you read the link or not? There's plenty of stuff there that won't even make a director's cut if they made one. There was a lot of symbolism that just couldn't be touched on and even if it was you'd be upset about being treated like a toddler if it was all laid out for you.

Yes I did. The reading still didn't make the movie any better for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes I did. The reading still didn't make the movie any better for me.

Sounds like a combination of characters being stupid/expectation short comings. ;) Not everyone loves every movie. I still can't believe Elizabeth's boy friend, "I'm taking my helmet off!!"... wins Darwin award... Lol!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sounds like a combination of characters being stupid/expectation short comings. ;) Not everyone loves every movie. I still can't believe Elizabeth's boy friend, "I'm taking my helmet off!!"... wins Darwin award... Lol!

Exactly. There are those who will like it and or love it. I am one that did not like the movie. There were to many items that struck me the wrong way for me to like this film.

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Exactly. There are those who will like it and or love it. I am one that did not like the movie. There were to many items that struck me the wrong way for me to like this film.

I'm not trying to be facetious but can you tell me a move you did like and though struck you the right way?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I'm not trying to be facetious but can you tell me a move you did like and though struck you the right way?

Sure there have been plenty.

I will start with one I love and can watch repeatedly.

Alien
Aliens being another
Bladerunner
Alien 3 and 4 (not so much)
MIB (tounge in cheek humor with a sci-fi twist)
Didn't like MIB2 but thought MIB3 was descent enough and had some funny points.

There are plenty of films I like (heck I own over 500 DVD/Blu-Rays)

I get the fact you liked this movie along with others. I did not. I thought it was horrible once we reached act 2.5-3.

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
It was ok... a little too bizarre at parts. Especially when she had that alien baby removed. I loved Alien/s/Resurrection but that part just weirded me out.

That said, I enjoyed the movie until the ending, which really frustrated and disappointed me. So many questions unanswered!! I wanted to know why they decided to destroy humanity, why they even bothered creating humanity in the first place, and what was the point of the "maps" leading to their planet? I left the theatre feeling dissatisfied and wanting more (TWSS).

lol "unanswered". I felt the same way, but with a positive mind b/c:
1. this means maybe a sequel
2. it's thought provoking - it's like the end of Sopranos that had everyone so ticked off, but I thought it was brilliant.

I liked this movie alot. It's nice to see some well done cinematography. I thought the acting was solid, story was good and just enough action. I liked the camera angles and cuts.

It was kind of silly for that biologist to think the alien was 'cute', but he was a biologist #1 and they like to check new things out and 2. he was trapped in that structure and cold so who knows what we'd be thinking. Let's not forget they were frozen for 2 years +. I don't know if I'd be thinking so straight either

Some people have crapped on the one engineer for coming back with super human strength, but if he ingested a bunch of that black goo (which, from his face, sure looked he had), then who knows. Maybe it was like Barry Bonds steroids x 1000.

The ending was fantastic. Left so many questions which is fun to figure out. The problem with the majority of society is that we're a need to know NOW type so being left out to dry with questions, is tough for some :)

When the camera started panning that big humanoid body, I knew the 'alien' was going to pop out and when he did, I laughed out loud. No one else did, but it brought me back to my youth when the Alien came out lol

There was one part that ticked me off - when the 2 guys don't make it back to the ship (F and M). The team employed little balls to map the structure*, the Prometheus could see them on their display, but I'm surprised either their suits or the Prometheus couldn't tell them how to get back? Seems kind of silly.

Oh, the * is for: I bet the US would have loved those mapping balls when chasing Bin Laden - would have saved some valuable time, money and soldiers' lives.

I saw it on 3D IMAX. I though the 3D wasn't overly done and the IMAX screen was great. I kept wondering what type of camera was used to film it. It looked amazing.

Loved the opening scene too. Alot of question - building blocks for human life? why did he kill himself? why was he left? (was he an outcast?) or was his role simply to 'seed' a planet (hence the fancy jedi master outfit?). Does that mean they dropped more off to other planets?

I also though the scene of the humanoid attacking everyone after they woke him up was well done - different than in most movies b/c you would think after David spoke to him, that maybe the humanoid would chat back, but no, instead he snapped and started attacking.

In the end, it's just a movie. It's to entertain and keep us away from reality for a few hours.

Oh, I also think that Ridley Scott tried to provoke us with a thought - should we be chasing around to find life on other planets? Who knows what we'll find....

btw, am I missing why David purposely infected that one scientist? I can't figure it out
Cheers,
Keebler

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sure there have been plenty.

I will start with one I love and can watch repeatedly.

Alien
Aliens being another
Bladerunner
Alien 3 and 4 (not so much)
MIB (tounge in cheek humor with a sci-fi twist)
Didn't like MIB2 but thought MIB3 was descent enough and had some funny points.

There are plenty of films I like (heck I own over 500 DVD/Blu-Rays)

I get the fact you liked this movie along with others. I did not. I thought it was horrible once we reached act 2.5-3.

Your list, my score:
Alien- loved. The crew did lots of stupid things, still loved it. :)
Aliens- loved.- everything to love about this. I disliked the extended cut which gave too much info.
Bladerunner- Eh. Too dark for me.
Alien 3 and 4- hated.
MIB- loved the first one. Hated 2nd one. Have not seen 3rd one yet. After my hate for the 2nd one will rent 3rd one.

:)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It looked a lot like the "xenomorphs" or aliens we know and if you saw the image inside the ship you'd know that the engineers were familiar with them.

http://cinemart-online.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/xenomorph.jpg

Also, the one xenomorph "born" at the end was a queen and if you recall the queens from other movies, they look significantly different from the drone type aliens that do all the attacking.

Think about it -- the alien in Prometheus was created under *very* specific circumstances (1) human male gets infected by black goo 2) said human has sex with an infertile female human 2) female human gives "birth" to a weird facehugger thingy 3) weird facehugger thingy grows up and facehugs an Engineer 4) proto-alien created!

What are the chances that this specific line of circumstances occurred elsewhere and created the aliens we know? Not very, right?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Think about it -- the alien in Prometheus was created under *very* specific circumstances (1) human male gets infected by black goo 2) said human has sex with an infertile female human 2) female human gives "birth" to a weird facehugger thingy 3) weird facehugger thingy grows up and facehugs an Engineer 4) proto-alien created!

What are the chances that this specific line of circumstances occurred elsewhere and created the aliens we know? Not very, right?

Really the unknown is the black goo and how it reacts, what it changes. It appears to mutates cells. David secured a sample unbeknownst to the other crew members and spiked Charlie's drink with it. Was it just black goo that mutated his sperm or was it some other kind of microscopic creature in the black goo that got transferred to Dr. Shaw?

A lot of this is just speculation. DNA would have to dictate what such a creature would develop into. We don't know what kind of control the alien humanoids had over the development of their bio-weapons, or if it's just randomized with nasty characteristics that follow general patterns? And we don't know what exactly has to happen to create something we know as the traditional extendible-mandible, acid for blood, alien. None of those appeared to be in this movie, although the critters in this movie might of had acid for blood. :)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities

I'm not sure if you're saying that the goo/worms needed humans to make the aliens we know or if it could make different types. There's a clear picture of the aliens on the wall in the ship which means the engineers at least knew what they were making. Plus a few of the dead engineer bodies had clearly hosted some version as their chests were blown out.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Your list, my score:
Alien- loved. The crew did lots of stupid things, still loved it. :)
Aliens- loved.- everything to love about this. I disliked the extended cut which gave too much info.
Bladerunner- Eh. Too dark for me.
Alien 3 and 4- hated.
MIB- loved the first one. Hated 2nd one. Have not seen 3rd one yet. After my hate for the 2nd one will rent 3rd one.

:)

Yup that is pretty much how I rate them! :D

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm not sure if you're saying that the goo/worms needed humans to make the aliens we know or if it could make different types. There's a clear picture of the aliens on the wall in the ship which means the engineers at least knew what they were making. Plus a few of the dead engineer bodies had clearly hosted some version as their chests were blown out.

Or it could mean the black goo and the aliens are separate things? Engineers made aliens first, then made black goo. Or something.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I was sooo freaking disappointed in this :(

I've been stalking this movie for a long time and was sure it would be awesome...

...then I saw it :(

Visual effects = Great. Of course, they're from Weta. The matte painters did a fantastic job.

Story...wtf???? Ok here's my gripes:

-Whats with the surgery scene? That whole part of the story felt tacked on and unnecessary.

-The old guy being Charlize Theron's father, yet another tacked on story element. The "twist" wasn't relevant enough to be a twist.

-Did Ridley Scott forget where the space jockey was in Alien? Because I remember him being behind a gun, and he was in this one until he got out and chased Noomi Rapace around. This meant he was no longer behind that gun when he died. I understand this was a "prequel that turned into a separate story" but still.

-Why was Michael Fassbender killing people? It felt more "out of spite" than any real reason. Yes I'm aware that Logan Marshall-Green said he'd do anything and everything to find the answers but still.

How bad is it that I don't remember the characters names but only the actors that played them?

I was so excited for this movie and have been stalking the CGSociety and ZBrush forums, scouring pieces of art made for this movie and was so excited to see it tonight and it was a huge let down :(

Oh well, its only a movie I suppose.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
-Whats with the surgery scene? That whole part of the story felt tacked on and unnecessary.

-The old guy being Charlize Theron's father, yet another tacked on story element. The "twist" wasn't relevant enough to be a twist.

-Did Ridley Scott forget where the space jockey was in Alien? Because I remember him being behind a gun, and he was in this one until he got out and chased Noomi Rapace around. This meant he was no longer behind that gun when he died. I understand this was a "prequel that turned into a separate story" but still.

-Why was Michael Fassbender killing people? It felt more "out of spite" than any real reason. Yes I'm aware that Logan Marshall-Green said he'd do anything and everything to find the answers but still.

How bad is it that I don't remember the characters names but only the actors that played them?

I was so excited for this movie and have been stalking the CGSociety and ZBrush forums, scouring pieces of art made for this movie and was so excited to see it tonight and it was a huge let down :(

Oh well, its only a movie I suppose.

-she knew she couldn't conceive a child, let alone be 3 months pregnant. After seeing what happened to her man, she knew it had to go. David's curiosity made him want whatever was in her to come out on its own volition.

-I didn't think this was relevant either, it explained why she was pissed during the holographic presentation though.

-I don't think this was ever the ship. The weaponized goo wasn't the same as the eggs.

-the test David made with the goo wasn't to kill people, but for science. His choice of subject did suggest spite. The Dr. was the meanest one to him, it seems.

-I don't either. Is it bad the only one I remember was the android? Lol.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Could Ridley Scott be finished as an "A List" Director?

I'm a bit worried about Scott's dry spell for having truly a hit movie. In descending order IMDB rankings:

Prometheus : 7.7
Robin Hood : 6.7
Body of Lies : 7.1
American Gangster : 7.8
A Good Year : 6.8
Kingdom of Heaven : 7.1
Matchstick Men : 7.3
Black Hawk Down : 7.7
Hannibal : 6.5

Looks like good scores but imdb reviews tend to skew towards higher scores because many people reviewing have a less critical eye.

Contrast Scott with Christopher Nolan's recent movies

Following : 7.6
Memento : 8.6
Insomnia : 7.2
Batman Begins : 8.2
The Prestige : 8.4
The Dark Knight : 8.9
Inception : 8.8

Scott has been underperforming for quite some times and more overhyped and under-delivered fare like Prometheus will see his star dim even more for future releases.

It's getting to the point now where i'm going to start choosing movies via the director and writer. If they have a big budget yet have a declining Director and some writer that's cranked out crap i'm saving my $10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.