Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing the tradition set with the iPhone 13 Pro, only the highest-end iPhone 14 models will feature Apple's ProMotion display technology, according to a respected display analyst.

iPhone-14-Mock-pill-and-hole-thumb.jpg

Ross Young, who on multiple occasions has detailed accurate information about Apple's future products, said in a tweet that ProMotion will not be expanded to the entire iPhone 14 lineup and will remain exclusive to the Pro models. This comes following a report earlier in the week claiming that all models of the iPhone 14 lineup would feature ProMotion technology.

In his tweet, Young suggests that Chinese manufacturer BOE would be the supplier of LTPO OLED displays for lower-end iPhone 14 models, but he said the company does not have enough production capacity to do so right now. Samsung is currently the exclusive supplier of LTPO OLED displays for iPhone 13 Pro models, while a report last year claimed that LG would also start making LTPO OLED displays in hopes of supplying them to Apple this year.

Apple first introduced ProMotion on the iPhone with the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max in September 2021. ProMotion allows the display to automatically refresh at up to 120Hz for smoother appearing content and scrolling, and as low as 10Hz for longer battery life, depending on the type of content on the screen.

Apple has so far limited ProMotion to "Pro" products such as the iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro, and the newly launched 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros.

Apple is expected to release four iPhone 14 models this year, including two 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch standard models and two 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch Pro models, with the 5.4-inch "mini" model to be discontinued. Learn more about everything we know so far about the iPhone 14 by reading our comprehensive roundup.

Article Link: ProMotion Now Expected to Remain Exclusive to iPhone 14 Pro Models, Not Expand to Entire Lineup

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
As expected, not like Jonnyb said that it was so obvious couple of days ago :))

macvicta

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2021
I’m conflicted about the new Face ID screen cutouts. On the one hand, I think it would be cleaner to incorporate everything into one single pill-shaped cutout. On the other hand, there is something cute about the two separate cutouts. Can’t quite put my finger on it. It’s like a logo of some sort. Like a cute little robot turned on its side.

Either way, it’s better than the notch.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
What kind of an idiot came up with this rumor in the first place? Why would Apple come up with a premium feature only to bring it to the non-Pro models just a year later? They’re gonna keep it exclusive to Pro models for 2-3 years and then port it down to SEs. Doesn’t anyone remember the OLED transition for the lower cost models?

Sunshower

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
UK
This is okay by me - as long as the regular 14 gets decent improvements in other areas.

What kind of an idiot came up with this rumor in the first place? Why would Apple come up with a premium feature only to bring it to the non-Pro models just a year later? They’re gonna keep it exclusive to Pro models for 2-3 years and then port it down to SEs. Doesn’t anyone remember the OLED transition for the lower cost models?
What the iPhone model needs desperately is the “Always on Displays” across the iPhone lineup. Apple Watch Series 6/7 has them.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The rumor was ridiculous to begin with. Nice to have people like Ross setting the record straight.

Reactions: AmazeSE

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks Ross Young for providing common sense to refute the previous rumor.

Apple is offering two different display cutouts to further differentiate the regular and Pro models. So there is no way 120Hz is coming to regular iPhone regardless of supply chain limitations.

Jeff Pu’s predictions were just ridiculous to begin with. He also suggested iPhone 14 would have less base storage than iPhone 13.

Reactions: JM and blairh

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
What the iPhone model needs desperately is the “Always on Displays” across the iPhone lineup. Apple Watch Series 6/7 has them.

They probably just want you to get an Apple Watch instead.

I apparently have ProMotion on my new MacBook Pro and also had it on my iPad Pro, before replacing it with the newer iPad Air 4 (without ProMotion) and I have yet to notice it. I literally see no difference

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
As expected, not like Jonnyb said that it was so obvious couple of days ago :))
You’ve completely missed the point I was making, which was that the analyst who suggested that the non-pros would get 120Hz was making a prediction based on fantasy/speculation and not the years of evidence of previous iPhone releases. I was saying the exact opposite of what you appear to have inferred.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
They probably just want you to get an Apple Watch instead.

I apparently have ProMotion on my new MacBook Pro and also had it on my iPad Pro, before replacing it with the newer iPad Air 4 (without ProMotion) and I have yet to notice it. I literally see no difference
Those big screens have huge lag which doesn’t make it very obvious. Try it on iPhones with and w/o.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.