Proof iOS 7 UI design is junk

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Anti-Lucifer, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Just take a look at the simple keyboard entry UI design. It's beyond pathetic. There is a thin blue outline over the next/previous field buttons and that's how they solve the "layered" transparency design problems.

every day I look at iOS 7 UI and I shake my head in disbelief: 5 years of pure iOS UI design down the toilet and this is the best we can get from the same team that brought us the first iPHONE.

I'm in disbelief that they actually let these fake designers work on a flagship operating system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

3. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

well then my opinion is proof!

4. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I see you know what developer and operating system is, but do you know what beta means?
    It will get worked out by the time the public get a it.
    Close the thread please.

5. iapplelove, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Shocking! A beta version is not perfect?!? Quick, somebody call CNN, this is a major scoop we have here.

7. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

/rollseyes

"Proof". Come on.

I actually like iOS 7's design better than iOS 6, although 7 has some tweaks that still need to be done.

8. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

9. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I tried to make a phone call today in bright sunlight. I couldn't. When I got indoors I switched wallpaper to one with better contrast to the phone chrome, and was finally able to use the phone for its primary function on the return journey. Shocking. Positively shocking.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Your "proof" is some third party app that hasn't been updated for a beta OS that is months away from release? :p

11. MarkNY macrumors regular

Yep, it is shocking. The reason most people by iPhones is because of the superior OS and interface. What reason now is there to buy an iPhone given that it's interface is a cheap knockoff of Android? What I don't understand is all the people defending the POS on here. If you like that flat interface so much, WTF are you doing you with an iPhone in the first place? I buy iPhones because, you know, I like (or liked) the interface.

Most people on here were rightly horrified when the new icons were first leaked, but after a 5 minute or whatever propaganda video by Ive, they're the best thing ever.

The good news is I don't see how Tim Cook survives this self-inflicted wound. Just run iOS 6 until iOS 8 comes out.

12. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Was my first thought, but I believe this is actually Safari.

Either way, there is no way it will go to GM this way, so calm down.

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

iOS 6 is really ugly. It's my opinion, so it's proof. :D

14. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

I've got to agree; the blur effects are really awful design. The rest of the redesign is quite good, but the blur effects are just fraught with issues.

It's a common pitfall of UI designers to be attracted to those blur effects. Microsoft did the same thing with Vista and 'Aero Glass'. I know people who followed the 'Longhorn' beta scene quite closely, and it's interesting to see how much of Microsoft's original goals are the same as Apple's current goals. Ideas like depth and getting the chrome out the way were key inspirations for glass. I'm not saying those are bad principles to follow (actually they're good principles to follow), but the glass-effect is not a solution. It seems at first like it would be a good idea, but it isn't.

The problem is that blur effects like that just don't work. It looks nice in Photoshop and in select situations, but in reality it just doesn't work overlaid on top of the diverse range of content we view in real life.

Personally, I think it's an awful design for toolbars - it reduces visual contrast so you can barely make the toolbars out, and it just looks ugly on top of most content.

Look at those two screenshots again - beside the fact that you've got these clashing blue button borders, does anybody think that toolbar looks nice? Is it really better than having an opaque toolbar? I think not.

15. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

You are talking about the same iPhone are you not.

16. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I too am not a fan of translucency as it adds no value and makes it very hard to create a colour scheme that fits every situation

17. ILOVEMYMBP2.2g macrumors regular

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

Anyone who does not like iOS 7 is just scared of change. And they are probably the same people who were saying that if Apple didn't change something soon they were going with android...... such poor attitudes and such ignorant people

18. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another prime example of junk:

Look at apple's own lot of videos. White background and you can't even see the volume control (what level is it on?) - when the progress indicator moves, part of the progress (which is in white) will just disappear with the white background of the video.

These are the sorts of design cues that should be developed when the first iphone circa 2007 was invented. You don't throw out 5 years worth of good stuff just to satisfy a majority of android geeks. Now I can totally tell the ones here who are defending this mess are just a bunch of apple sheeps.

I have had my fair share of android (since the GS2) and I was happy with iOS up until this mess. This is not going to change much my friends. Beta is already along the path of what is to become iOS 7.

Sure they can tweak it perhaps add a drop shadow but come on, these are just bad designs period. Everything in this new iOS 7.0 (aside from the new API additions) are just complete junk.

Slap on all the new features of the slide up control center, the new drop down notifications to iOS 6 and you will have satisfied both sides. These new parallax layers and frosted glass BS is just complete utter garbage. It's eye candy but ugly eye candy.

If not for the proven technology backend of iOS 6 and up, no one will ever use an iPhone again. Seriously, it's not even an iPhone anymore. Might as well call it Metroid (windows + android) fused in a crap pile.

[​IMG]

19. fivedots macrumors 6502a

While I agree that the OP is over the top, so is your statement. There are plenty of reasons to dislike something new other than simply a fear of change.

20. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is quite ignorant post. It's not changed for the sake of change. It's changed and apple just threw away the trademark iOS character. You don't throw away what makes an iPhone an iPhone. And IT IS the UI that makes an iPhone an iPhone.

PS - those above comments saying this is some 3rd party app, the above screen shot was taken in SAFARI. Whenever you type anything in, you get the stupid designed controls. It's just terrible.

21. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Listen, there are plenty of things that need tweaking in iOS 7 but you are off your rocker. Love or hate the new design, sure. But you're just being irrational at this point.

Funnel your energy into filing bug reports with Apple.

Call me when you develop a radically redesigned piece of software that is visually perfect at the BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA stage.

22. MarkNY macrumors regular

I was waiting for the "change" argument. Haha. I was an early adopter of the iPhone, which was quite a change from traditional phones, yes? Change can be either good or bad, and can't understand why people have such a hard time with that concept.

23. Anti-Lucifer, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013

Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. It's a beta. So by the start of this Fall, we will see a dramatically improved version of iOS 7 free of all these asinine design cues. Give me a break. These "bugs" are already reported. I just felt the need to vent a bit more because obviously it's beta 3 and this junk has been included since beta 1 and have not been addressed.

You clowns continue on saying to yourself, "it's a beta, it's a beta...oh god, please let this be a beta!!!"...while in your sleep.

24. Shishu macrumors member

So basically same discussion as last year when we had some people saying that Apple was going to switch on "real" maps data after the release of ios6 and how this was going to solve all the issues with maps... A year later and we are still waiting...

Hopefully we won't have to wait another year for GUI...

25. viperGTS macrumors 65816

While everyone here is thrashing the OP for their rather extreme statements, I'll say one thing.

"It's a beta" is a terrible argument in that 1. We heard the same thing about Apple Maps (look how that turned out) and 2. These UI elements are most likely finalized. We will only see VERY MINOR UI tweaks before the GM, and buttons are pretty major in the UI.

Just my thoughts.