Pros and Cons of a White iPad bezel

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleKash, Mar 7, 2011.

1. AppleKash macrumors 6502

AppleKash

Just curious what are some conceivable drawbacks of owning the white iPad. I've heard some opinions like: it can wash out image because of the way our eyes work, I assume because of brightness, not sure about that though. I've also heard that it could get dirty and look banged up quicker (than black bezel), I guess this really varies on the owner though.

Again these are not my opinions just stuff I have read. Anyone want to throw in there 0.02 on the matter..

2. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Personally I really dislike the white, the black looks so much more sleek.

I think the white might appeal more to women and posers. (no offence intended)

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

well it will show less fingerprints. but i makes the black edges of the screen much more visible because its white and not black, never liked it very much because of that but i love the color. and last is that it might show more dirt, but the actual color is under the glass so i am not sure about that. i would like to get white but the family is against it poor me right lol.

4. AppleKash thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleKash

Lol!!! Yes, I have head this before! Black is my favorite... So..

5. AppleKash thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleKash

But the white iPad still calls my name, while the familiarity and slickness of the black one need not say anything at all

6. gostan macrumors regular

It will be time for me to consider a white bezel on an Ipad when Samsung & Panasonic start making white bezels on their plasma's and lcd's.:p

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

White: tends to yellow over time, is chickish on devices -- just needs a few unicorn stickers and good to go, makes the screen appear smaller.

Black: professional, defines the screen, does not attract needless attention (hey look at me!), makes the product look like what it actually costs.

Hey, you asked for opinions, so there you go.

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I never had a problem on my imac G4 which had the white bezel?
    going to add a white Apple logo to the back and i will be set.
    yellowing? I keep my toys less than a year.

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So called "men" in here needing to buy a specific colour to feel like a "man" is so sad.

Pity them, i really do.

10. AppleKash thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleKash

A fine point indeed!

11. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Thats so sad .

12. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm getting the white iPad for sure. It's obviously just a personal preference, but here are my thoughts.

- As a differentiator between the iPad 1... along with the uniqueness of having a white one, but also because we will still have a couple of black iPad 1's in the household and it would be nice being able to easily tell them apart.

- Because white will presumably show less fingerprints.

- I am not worried about the white discoloring because it will be covered by glass. Therefore, it should not stain or otherwise yellow due to exposure. I suppose if you leave it in the sun all day, it could possibly be affected. But I think the white will look very sharp with the glass covering it.

13. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

It'll show less fingerprints and glare.

On the other hand, it will lower the perceived brightness and contrast of the screen, and possibly be a distraction. (this is all psychological and highly variable from person to person)

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Guy here and I'm considering buying white. Couldn't care less what impression that may give someone. If I like something, I go for it :cool:

As far as it yellowing over time...well likely it will be replaced by the newest model by then...

15. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Damn, I was all set to buy a white one and now after reading this thread I'm undecided. :confused:

16. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

buy a white one and play with it for a week. if you don't like it...exchange for a black one. done.

17. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Black:
    - Will always look sleek / amazing
    - Attracts Gloss equally, but is more noticable
    - Resale value 1 year later will sell faster

White:
    - Unique, a less popular color
    - Childish / Feminine in a sense
    - Attracts Gloss equally, but is less noticable
    - Resale value 1 year later will sell SLOWER*

*An old persons hair does not turn darker as he/she ages.
    Nothing is worse than having a 1 year old white iPad.

18. yaddam205 macrumors member

Getting a white one because, I never got a white iPhone 4.

19. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

To women, yes. I feel like I would like the white more.. but then I know that my eyes are used to black bezel products. I don't want to make my eyes go crazy. And with the black just looks slick.. so I'm going for that!

20. 627874654 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like white is popular.
    It is probable because many of you watching this forum already have an iPad.
    But first time buyers, like me, going to buy a black one.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I'm getting a white cause I think it looks great and I've wanted a white iPhone 4 since they were announced and could never get one. I like how it Looks different. I've been using idevices since 07 so im ready for something to look a little different.

22. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm a 32 year old male and would not be ashamed to have a White iPad. I'm leaning towards black, but haven't counted out white. I am making my choice based on what I think looks better or which one I like more. I will probably wait to see them in person before making my final decision (if they are on display). With that said, I recommend everyone choosing what they like better, and if that's the White then go for it and do not be deterred by people on here saying it's feminine, cheap, etc.

Posers? I didn't know anyone actually used that word anymore. :eek:

As others have said this is less likely due to the bezel being covered by the glass. My concern with the white is how it will hold up to heat of the device. We all know from the iPad that the device never felt hot to the touch, but internally there has to be some heat and there could be a chance of some discoloring on a white bezel. I'm sure Apple has considered this and done testing, but there's always a chance.

I really doubt this. I think both colors will resale just fine. The only reason a White would have a problem with resale is if there was reports of discoloring/yellowing.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

+ 1
    I like the white but for the iPad, I'd go black. I notice that the one I own now looks real good, the screen just disappears into the bezel when watching movies and I hardly notice it at all. I may be female, but I don't buy my devices based on preconceived inane notions that white is for a woman.

24. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

The white looks ok, it isn't hideous... but to me the whole "tablet" look is having a jet black solid piece of glass in your hands that magically becomes whatever you are using it for at the moment and then when turned off turns back into black. You don't really see the screen when off on a black, it looks like a monolith and is just beautiful. The white always looks like a computer monitor to me.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Am a woman, never liked white iPhone, don't like white iPad.