Pros & Cons of new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diatribe, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Here is how I see it:

Pros:
    • LED sleep light only when MBP is asleep and not like now when the display is off
    • Graphics card
    • Swappable HD
    • More rigid construction
    • Bigger trackpad
    • Magnetic latch
    • Thinner design
    • Battery indicator on the side

Cons:
    • NO matte option - WTF Apple??? How about offering a laptop with color accuracy?
    • No FW400
    • No 500GB HD option - WTF does Apple always trail in HD specs???
    • SHARP metal edge at palm rest - it looks even worse than the MBA or the often complained about MB
    • No tactile feedback on the trackpad button
    • No DVI port - more adapters, incompatible to most displays out there... seems like ADC all over again
    • No Blu-Ray
    • Wider - will need to buy new sleeves and bags
    • NO matte option - Again, wtf? :confused:

This could have been a winner because the improvements are downright awesome and everything we ever wanted... too bad they made it unbuyable by taking away absolutely necessary options. :(

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You left off DDR3 from the pros. I think DDR2 is capping at 2GB modules, so DDR3 should be able to jump to 4GB, which means a total of 8GB possible when the motherboard supports it. I also think killing the firewire port is a GOOD thing, but only if they had added USB ports. I think you can buy ExpressCard firewire adapters, so I would've loved about 16 USB ports. Instead, they still have 2. Arrgh.

Your cons are pretty good, especially the matte part. I disagree about the video adapter. This new one takes up less space and lets you choose an array of adapters. They should've given people a free one with purchase, but oh well. I could also not give too much of a hoot about the 500GB option because they don't seem priceworthy, but I get your BTO point. You left BLU-RAY! out of the cons. If half the PC vendors can pop a BD-ROM drive in a $1,000 notebook, surely Apple could have a BTO option.

I could also do without hearing the phrase "tactile feedback" for the rest of my life. I never understood the need for it on iPhone (that's why there's a clicking noise when you type) nor do I get it on the trackpad.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Maybe we should just make the entire keyboard glass then. :p

I would just like to know how you're going to highlight text without a real button. :confused:

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

second that one. and maybe I am slow (I know it was gone off the MB) but no firewire 400???? What about all those firewire 400 audio interfaces, video interfaces, and hard drives? THis is like vista. "If you want a new computer you will have to get all new everything" WTF???? Again it goes to show that Apple could care less about current customers and only care about switchers.

Pros: closes it makes a good coaster or could be used to prop up the broken leg on my MP.

7. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I don't consider the mag latch a pro, I like having the physical latch as physical insurance. The trackpad I might consider a pro altogether, would have to spend some time with it.

Another con - butt ugly design.

8. tbae12 macrumors member

i would say for a con that the MBP and the MB look the same

9. vixapphire macrumors 6502

I'm happy to say that I'll be extending my aluminum mbp's life by noding it with mini's as my cpu needs in Logic Pro become more extensive. These new models look like a near-total bust to me. There must be an awful lot of disappointed people out there today.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Check this s*** out!

[​IMG] (straight adapter)

Or, even cleaner
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-F017-006-Firewire-Hi-speed/dp/B000AAZQLI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b/104-9404165-9299121
    Ta-Da!!

My opinion? Apple is trying to create a new standard where everything is intergrated into a 2 mm thick magsafe-esque cable.. Devices will simply "latch" onto the cable via clips and inject data similar to the cliche 90s wiretapping hardware where one would simply latch on a portable display to any video cable and recieve a clean signle without leaving a trace.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the new trackpad being the whole clicker can be a love/hate deal like the matte/glossy deal.

12. DGaio macrumors newbie

The only cons I see so far:

> No matte as mentioned;
    > No 1680x1050 resolution (not even in BTO).

It's about time the 15" Macbook Pro got a higher resolution panel.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I consider this a PRO. Now it matches the Apple Wireless Keyboard, which I love! I just wish they'd offer color options for the keys: black, white and matching silver (which I'd choose).

But I'm very disappointed that matte is no longer an option!

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I get tactile feedback on actual keyboards, but I don't understand the need on a trackpad. To my understanding, the new trackpad actually clicks down physically, which is the same as the button did. Now if it doesn't do this, I totally get the tactile feedback. I just don't need it when using the gestures to scroll, right-click, etc.

I also have few issues with the iPhone keyboard aside from that fact that it's, um, smaller than regular ones (obviously).

As far as the text highlighting, that's an interesting question, although I know the keyboard shortcuts.

To the person who mentioned the 4GB DDR2: didn't know that! I had only seen 2GB modules before. At least I know now. Thanks!

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

There are 4GB modules which should work in theory on the previous MBP, but the results are not encouraging. I wouldn't automatically assume that the new models will work with 8GB, even when the modules become available.

Cons: one FW port instead of two. Expresscard adaptors don't supply power.

16. phannon666 macrumors regular

Single biggest con... price in the UK RAISED by £100 ($200) for the base MBP:eek: Glad I'm not in the market for one right now...

17. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I find it funny how so many people act surprised that Blu-ray didn't show up on an Apple machine yet. I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I predicted this.

Steve Jobs does not like HDCP or the "complicated" licensing that goes with it. DisplayPort is license and royalty free (NO encryption). See a pattern here? Commercial Blu-ray movie playback requires HDCP; Mac OS X doesn't support it at all. It's been made very clear even months ago that Apple can care less about Blu-ray. The new 24" ACD doesn't even support HDCP because it's DisplayPort only.

The only future I see for Blu-ray on an Apple machine is use as a data storage medium. And you can do that right now, actually.

Alienation of potential buyers through ignorance? Probably.

19. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

If it actually clicks down physically then I am good. If it doesn't it sucks hard.

20. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

You can purchase a converter.

To be able to fit the hard disk into the 24mm enclosure, 500GB is not an option. There is just no space to do that.

There is tactile feedback. You *push the entire trackpad* to click. In essence the trackpad *is* the button

I agree with you on this one :(

DDR3 is supported. Read please Tech Specs

21. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

It's .05" thinner, otoh

Cons:
    • Wider(.25")
    • Deeper(.22")
    • Heavier(.1 lb)

22. erwind macrumors newbie

Why?

Western Digital has released their new 500GB HDD (a couple months ago) that has a size as small as the one used in all MacBook Pro.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=506&language=en

WD Scorpio Blue 500GB (3GB/s, 8MB Cache, 5400 rpm)

23. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

YES!
    This is the TOP reason I am not getting the new MBP...I have the apple wireless keyboard, and have used my friends MB, and I HATE these keyboards! I dont see why a MBP would have the same keyboard as MB...there is nothing pro about the new MBP keyboard!
    Very very very very disappointed apple...fix it!

I agree with you completely. Although, I dont mind not having 500GB hard drive, or blu ray. Also, I dont mind not having FW 400, I can get an adapter when I need it. Everything else I agree with you

24. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Sorry, but it's here to stay. For better or worse. Did you really think that they were going to keep the old PB keyboard?

25. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

actually from the early reviews, it does have tactile feedback.