Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Ive never owned an Apple Watch. I want to buy the base gps model. I definitely see the AW4 is a little better than the AW3. However, being on a budget I like how I can get the AW3 42 for only $309 vs $429 for the AW4. I’m young and in great health so not too concerned about the newer fall and ECG features at this point. Trying to determine if getting the AW3 will still be a good investment with it being a year old already. Not having had an Apple Watch before I won’t have any comparisons to be let down by the AW3. Is it still worth it as a new buyer of an Apple Watch to buy a AW3?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Look for a used S3 if your looking to save, otherwise go for the S4.

I wouldn’t want to pay that full price for the S3 as the S4 has a much more pleasant user experience (screen and speed).

Reactions: partyboy4357

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I've owned S2, S3, and now S4.

S4 display area relative to watch size, brightness, and volume are a big upgrade from the S3.
The speed difference I'm seeing in opening third party apps is substantial vs S3.

For a $120 price difference go with the S4.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Series 3 is still a great watch, it’s plenty fast and capable with all features you would likely need. If you’re on a budget, then I see no reason not to opt for the Series 3, as it is still very much relevant.

The Series 4 advantage is with the larger display, and improved health functions.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I had an S4 and returned it got a brand new unopened S3 space black w/ Milanese loop LTE for $475 shipped.

I didn’t want to drop basically $1000 on the same S4 model for infograph face and a larger display. Sure the S4 will be faster but I’d rather have this S3 than an aluminum S4. Ion-X Glass would last me a day until I scratch it

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The S3 was a solid watch it was the most refined version of that original design - for the GPS only version on the Series 3 you will only get 8GB of internal storage versus 16GB of internal storage for the S4 GPS only model. That difference can be huge for some as you can now sync Audible books, podcasts and music to the watch. I often have storage near full at 16GB.

I do find the info faces fantastic and the new complications do convey more information and especially love having favorites (contacts) on my watch face. That said you may also find a really good deal on used Series 3s and may be able to get a stainless for the same price as you can an aluminum new (you’d benefit from the increased storage going that route too).

Reactions: techno-Zen

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
If SS is not important for you, both will be fine.
Keep in mind, that the S4 is the first watch with 64bit. So it will get future updates longer like the iphone 5s.
If you are planing to keep this watch longer, this could be important.

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
Look for a used S3 if your looking to save, otherwise go for the S4.

I wouldn’t want to pay that full price for the S3 as the S4 has a much more pleasant user experience (screen and speed).

I agree it's enticing due to savings but buying a year + old model doesn't make sense to save a 100 bucks.
[doublepost=1555351187][/doublepost]
The S3 was a solid watch it was the most refined version of that original design - for the GPS only version on the Series 3 you will only get 8GB of internal storage versus 16GB of internal storage for the S4 GPS only model. That difference can be huge for some as you can now sync Audible books, podcasts and music to the watch. I often have storage near full at 16GB.

I do find the info faces fantastic and the new complications do convey more information and especially love having favorites (contacts) on my watch face. That said you may also find a really good deal on used Series 3s and may be able to get a stainless for the same price as you can an aluminum new (you’d benefit from the increased storage going that route too).

Yep that infograph complication is the bomb plus the huge speed increase. Save up till you can afford the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.