Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigmak

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2017
Prosser doesn't even understand the stories he makes up.

Reverse charging for a battery can only mean one thing — the device (iPhone) would be charging the battery.
Like anyone would do that
I was thinking that. If you still plug in your phone you could charge the battery using MagSafe with the phone. Or the the MagSafe plug can charge the battery and then that same surface is used to charge the phone when on the go.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Why does phone charging the pack not make sense? That way you’d just plug the phone in and it would charge the pack. Saves a connector on the pack.

Just a heads up, I took this line out. It was worded confusingly, and that would be the iPhone doing the reverse charging, not the battery pack.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Reverse charging is very inefficient, more than twice the losses... hence, not environmentally friendly...

not that I cannot see the convenience, but really, I think rather than spending engineering efforts on this they should spend those resources on making eg the iPhone 1 or 2 mm thicker and increase battery life that way...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

havenyoung

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
presumably this means that the battery pack will be able to charge an iPhone 12 while also charging AirPods from the other side at the same time.
I'm sorry so this means a battery pack charing two devices at the same time. Where is the "reverse" part?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
If the charging device charges from both sides, it's not really reverse charging, its just charging from both sides. Reverse charging would be that it uses your phone battery to charge something else.

Reactions: KeithBN

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The battery is still a bulky device attached to iPhone. I would rather have Apple stop slowing down the phone and battery life so that i stopped having to buy additional Apple devices.
How about slowing down the performance of the phone to save you battery life. If you are ok with that apple will help you out without telling you.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I find it kinda funny that all those "leakers" publish their reports right after Gurman's and Kuo's. Never before.
*no one would notice*???

While I'm at it: It's just really entertaining to see the comment section literally blew up when that P person is mentioned lol

AND: reverse charging for a BATTERY PACK. <- Let's allow that to sink in for a second shall we?:)

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Yeah it is clear that MagSafe is what the battery pack world has been waiting for (it has been one ugly, kludgy scene for years).

The best part is that you could carry one of these in your pocket and only attach when your phone is getting low.

Or you know, you could just charge responsibly and never need any such thing. But that's too much to ask from some people.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

hamidb83

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
Wouldn’t the reverse charging on the battery mean using MagSafe it could be charged and then charge your device using the same surface? So you could use you MagSafe plug to charge the battery but then then when on the go use the battery to charge the phone. Or even if you still plug in your phone to charge use MagSafe to charge battery pack?
This makes more sense than any other approach. You want to be able to charge your battery pack and iPhone with a single cable. Either magsafe or lighting. I assume the battery pack has no ports. You attach your battery pack and then plugin your phone.

Reactions: craigmak

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Calling it now, if they release both it’ll be at least $129 for the regular and $159 for the reverse charging one lmao. Apple never misses an opportunity to shock us with the price of a “basic” device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.