Protective film for Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kylera, May 27, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Do any Magic Trackpad users here use protective film for their trackpads? A shop near me has them on sale and I wonder whether they can adversely affect performance or not.

2. Texran macrumors regular

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

That's...apt.

Not that I have anything against you or anything, but can you tell me why?

4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I haven't had my Magic Trackpad for too long, so I'm not sure how prone to scratches it is, but if the protection is $10 or under I'd do it. That's just me though, I like fully protecting my items of value.

And I wouldn't think that it would affect performance, just like thick screen protectors on phones (like Zagg ones) don't seem to affect touch sensitivity. But that's only my guess, someone else might know for sure.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless your fingers (unlike normal human hands) are capable of scratching the surface, why do you think you need a surface protector? :confused:

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Fingernails.

Ya know, those weird things growing at the ends of your fingers?

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You mean the ones softer than anodized aluminum? The ones that don't scratch up the Magic Trackpad? :rolleyes:

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Have you ever had part of your fingernail come off/chip off, leaving a sharp point somewhere on there? Not saying this is gonna happen often or anything, but you can always be ready to keep your things in good condition. To each his own, I guess it depends on how much you really care about looks, or reselling.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fingernail on Mohs scale ~2.5
    Anodized aluminum on Mohs scale ~9

File that puppy to a 1 micron point and you still won't scratch the trakpad.

10. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Great idea. You should also leave the plastic wrapping on all your furniture to protect it from wear and tear. You can easily double the life of your sofa this way. Also, never wear your clothes outside, especially dark colours. The sun is deadly on those.

11. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

Whats the point in that it will steal the beauty of Magic trackpad :D Spend money on Redbull :cool:

12. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

I really wasn't expecting something this intense from this question. Please, let's not go overboard here :)

I was just asking because I wanted to treat my new iMac better this time around. I dinged up my PowerBook a lot over the past few years and I just don't want to do that this time around, that's all.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Do you know how much the protector's cost?

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

When you see an empirical rating for the hardness of fingernails in a thread, you know you've hit gold.

15. CHSeifert, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Forget it - I'm ultra OCD about all my stuff but this is taking it too far :)

The trackpad will not be scratched - as someone suggested buy dark ale for the money instead *slurppppp*

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The Magic Trackpad's surface is glass. Covering it will ruin it's incredibly silky smooth texture, and won't provide any usuable protection (the glass surface being rather hard).

18. Jmouse macrumors 6502

How about those shinny marks off your trackpad or keyboard keys with daily use?

19. bradleyj macrumors newbie

I've got this: http://www.moshimonde.com/product/trackguard.aspx on my MacBook Air.

I wasn't too fussed about the actual protection of the trackpad itself but I actually prefer the sort've plastic feel/response from it, I don't get that "drag" response from oily fingers or anything anymore.

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

Hold it up to the light from the side - see the clear surface over the aluminum base?

The batteries are more likely to explode or the whole thing just stop working before the surface get's damaged.

21. insane79 macrumors 6502

i know this is an old thread but just got the trackpad & thinking if i should get a screen guard for it. :confused:

22. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

OP, I'm sure you can gather from the consensus that there's zero need to have a protective cover for your pad. I've had mine for over 2 years and there's no scratches whatsoever. Finger nails, even with a sharp corner will not scratch it, unless they're made from adamantium

23. meistervu macrumors 65816

I hope that OP has moved on from trying to protect his trackpad.

insane79 is not sure though.

I was too bought a trackpad protector, but after I put it on, I couldn't find a protector to protect that protector, so I gave up.

Anyhow, I refused to lend my laptop to my friend Edward Scissorhands and problem solved :)

24. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

It's interesting to see one of my old threads revived from a while ago :p

And yes, I have moved on from trying to protect the trackpad - other than a bit of dust, it still looks pretty darn new.