Protest against Apple Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Jarson, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jarson, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012

Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Hey guys. As most of you know, we have been forced to move to Apple's maps and abandon Google's one.
    The question is: what WE are going to do with this issue? After the maps have been released there were a lot of critics around the internet. They were strong enough that Tim Cook posted an open letter to heir customers. The point is that together we can do much more than alone. A brilliant example were massive protests against ACTA or even Coca Cola after they changed drink's recipe. After those strikes Coca Cola decided to go back to their origin. See how much we mean together?
    I know some of you can call me insane, but after all we're paying a lot of our money for all of Apple's products therefore we should be able to decide what services we want to use at least.

What do you think? Any ideas?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Sell your iPhone and buy Android, Windows Phones, Blackberry or whatever you see fit. Or better yet, hey.. It's still less than a month. Return it!

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

We should demand the ios 5 app back until Apple Maps is fully finished.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

This.

Vote with your wallet or ride it out.

5. Jarson thread starter macrumors regular

Jarson

Apple surely love people like you.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Perhaps you should read Cook's letter again. I don't think "suck it" was his response. I think the response was "we're working on it, please use our competitors products while we continue to do so."

Exactly what do you want Apple's response to be? Put Google Maps back on the phone? That ship has likely sailed. This isn't like Coke changing it's formula. Coke didn't have to re-enter into a contract with someone else to bring back the old version, and Google has no incentive to make any kind of deal with Apple.

But if you're really that upset and serious about this, the best way to protest is with your wallet. Don't buy an iPhone 5. Return your iPhone 5 if you already have. Purchase an Android or Windows Phone instead.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Why? This thing doesn't need to be protested. They're working on it. If you don't like it, don't want another app, just return it and use something else.

8. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Protest over maps? This is what our world views as important?

For the love of god, help us all

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

speak for yourself. in the USA iphones are virtually free on contract. even the iphone 5

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Since i have to buy mine outright to keep my UDL i would agree with the OP that they are costly, but to me even the $200 for the on contract phone is costly.

I do not throw my money around as easy as you i guess.

That being said, there are many alternatives for the google map so either pick one of those or return your phone.

12. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

You, sir... might be a genius.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Get another phone or ****. Some of you people must use Maps WAY more than I ever have to continue this whining without end. Tim Cook even told you today some competitors' apps to use while Apple improves Maps. A lot of us have found only minor glitches and have better things to do than a stupid protest.

Please, to all the complainers, go buy a Galaxy S III. When you find 100 more things to complain about on that phone, stay on Android boards.

14. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

As others have said, the only real way to "stop" using maps is use another service or get another phone.

Even then there are other apps that apple maps have snuck its way into that i've noticed. The Weather Channel app map uses apple maps, my great clips app to locate a location now uses it.

So you indirectly use it sometimes anyways. I'm just going to wait and see how they improve all this stuff.

15. Jookbox macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I did. I have no idea why anyone would want to stay 'loyal' to any company. Especially the way Apple has been acting lately.

16. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

My suggestion to you is to stop posting to this forum in class and get back to your lessons. Pay special attention in writing class. Jr. High is for learning, not pseudo-activism.

17. FHayek macrumors member

How has Apple been acting lately? Other than creating incredible shareholder value, only dreamt of brand recognition, well designed and manufactured products and the spawning of a raft of supporting businesses, what have they been doing?

FH

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

i sold my wife's iphone 4 for $200. $100 if i would have used one of the trade in services

as for unlimited. why not pay for spotify premium and cache the music on your device? i don't get this love of streaming when its a much better value for your money to use your local device and get access to unlimited music in the process

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No it hasn't. Apple can put Google Maps back in iOS 6.1 The coding will take days.

The contract with Google runs for another 9 months. 9 months to fix this mess, while users don't have to live with the disaster.

20. komodrone macrumors 6502

you can decide what services you want to use. click on safari and point your browser to maps.google.com.

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

use the web app

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe. With all of the hooks in the OS that open up the maps app, I'm thinking it's going to day more than just days, though.

Because you know if Apple releases the old Maps but doesn't make it the default for Contacts, Safari, etc, people are going to freak out.

And if Apple does make it the default, then people are going to freak out.

So they're going to need to add some new functionality into iOS 6.1 that lets people decide which Maps they want to use.

23. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I would assume, though don't necessarily know, that the agreement was terminated by one or both of the parties once Apple decided to kick Google Maps out (if you know otherwise please let me know).

I highly doubt Apple is still paying Google to be the primary maps for iOS when that's no longer the case. That's just horrible business. And even if Apple somehow tried to keep the contract going, Google would be smart and terminate it themselves for Apple breaching it.

24. Gage macrumors regular

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

25. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Apple Maps has been working fine for me, does it need improvements, sure. Google maps was never perfect either, took them over 2 years to add my street. There is always Google Maps through Safari or through another browser app for those who really need Google Maps. There is also Mapquest, WAZE, MotionX, Navigon, TomTom, etc.

I like having turn by turn now on the built in app, its worked well when I've used it. If Google makes their own app, if its free I'd probably download it, if it costs I have enough other options that I won't need to. Look hard enough at any of the GPS and map apps and they all have issues.