PS Anti-Glare screen for iPhone 3G, a Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ouhei, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ouhei macrumors member

I picked one of these up at the apple store (Raleigh, NC) yesterday and figured I'd post a review of it up here.

First, there were some concerns about the PS films not being properly sized, they appear to have fixed this as mine fits the front glass perfectly.

Application: Very easy, the pre-application film helps a lot to ensure your screen is clean. I managed to get mine on without any bubbles easily. lining up is a little tricky but just follow their directions and you should be fine.

Effectiveness: I got this film because I really didn't like how easy the glass was to smudge, and this DOES solve that. The screen is virtually smudge proof now. Fingers glide across easily as oil doesn't build up on the screen. I LOVE this part of the film, which brings me to...

Clarity: To be honest, it sucks. It doesn't make the screen impossible to see but there is a noticeable loss of clarity in the screen due to the matte texture of the film. On darker colors you can barely tell at all really, but on bright colors (white especially) its painfully obvious.

Overall: I'd give it a 7/10 overall. It is cut well, easy to apply, and it comes with 2 of them. The protection from smudges is AWESOME and the screen is still very easy to touch effectively. But, the clarity is a huge issue for me. Many applications/websites use a lighter background, where the clarity issue is most apparent, thus you are reminded of it a lot.

I'm unsure of whether I'll keep it on, on the one hand I really love the smudge guard aspect, but the clarity loss is very annoying. My wallpapers don't look nearly as crisp and clean as the naked glass. So I guess it really depends on which one of my OCD tendencies with electronics wins over.

I'll get pictures when I get home from work.

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I didn't find the clarity to be altered that much. It does add a bit of a shimmer but not that bad.

The smudge and grease proof properties of it make it a must have for me.

3. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I can live with the shimmer. I can't live with a filthy screen however. Fingerprints are 99% eliminated with the anti-glare film!

4. ender78 macrumors 6502

I'm worried about scratching my screen so I got the PS while I wait for my Invisible Shield. Mine PS does NOT fit perfectly [it is about 2mm aka 1/16th too small]

5. starbot007 macrumors newbie

Does someone have a screenshot or comparison of the two films? I'm thinking of buying a PS screen, but I'm not sure which one yet. I'm more leaning on the Anti-Glare since I'd like to have the textured screen, but that'll depend on how much the clarity is reduced.

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'd have this on my phone if they didn't eff up my order.

7. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, I can't find my card for my camera at the moment.

I've been using it for the past few days, I've gotten a little used to the slight glimmer. The whole no smudge thing is really growing on me though.

8. cynr4eva macrumors member

I completely agree, the fingerprint protection is great but the clarity is a problem. Nothing looks as crisp as it should, which is pretty annoying. I have a full body invisibleSHIELD; I was only going to use the back but I think I may give the front a try and then decide which I like better.

9. w00tme macrumors member

i have the anti-glare too. it causes kind of a wave effect on the screen for me. i might replace it with the crystal film. i love that it doesnt get any fingerprints, but the screen sharpness isnt there anymore.

10. gmail macrumors member

That's the way I feel too. Going to wait until my local Apple Store restocks on the regular Crystal Film.

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I did a side by side with a non protected screen at the apple store, I'm sorry but the image quality isn't hampered that much. I guess it's just a preference. Probably just my bias against fingerprints and smudges talking.

;)

12. ec51 macrumors 6502

I love this product. I first bought the Cyrstal Clear set because my local store was out of the Anti-Glare and what a mistake that was. It maintained the clarity and vibrance of the phone perfectly but showed fingerprints just as much as before. I wasnt expecting it to stop it but once my friend told me about the Anti-Glare stopping most of the finger prints I decided to give it a try. I returned the Cystal Clear and bought the Anti-Glare. What a difference...I love the textured feel and the NO fingerprint/smudge factor. This product is awesome and lined up and applied no problem. It is matte due to the no fingerprint quality which does take away a LITTLE of the vibrance/glow of the screen but this is key in a sunny/outside setting. I do not have any problems reading or seeing anything on the screen due to this film. It is a very well made product, the Cystal Clear even came off very nice, leaving NO residue whatsoever. No bubbles during installation either.

13. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

it's a trade off, do you want to forgo a bit of clarity for no fingerprints? That's all you need to ask yourself. I have it and have no issues with the trade off.

14. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty much the choice to make.

I'm keeping it on for now, the lack of finger prints has been really nice and the clarity isn't the worst. I'll continue to look for other solutions but it's pretty good.

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I would hold off on the IS for the front screen, it is almost like a slip resistent material so your finger does not slide very good. Also, the texture on the IS is really bad for a screen that you have to touch. My buddy did the full body and removed it. He is now using the Power Support Crystal Film (I am also using this and love it).

I was going to buy the Crystal film from local Apple store, but they only had 200 anit-glare films. I ordered online from PS and received a few days later.

16. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Are these films really necessary? Isn't the front scratch resistant for the most part?

17. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I agree, they may not be needed, but I sure feel better having it on the phone. Also, I have noticed on Gen1 and even my 3G iPhone, that you screen feels even better with the PS film on it. (i.e. Finger swipes better, etc).

18. Ouhei thread starter macrumors member

I didn't get mine for protection, I got it for the anti-smudgeness.

19. krogers34 macrumors member

i had it on the first gen iphone and loved the anti-fingerprintness it had. i have not had one on my new 3g iphone until today and i never realized the difference in quality until today, but it is not that bad and once i get use to it it will be great will very few fingerprints getting on the screen.

20. cynr4eva macrumors member

Yea, I actually decided against it. I did apply the back of the IS, which was an experience in itself, but I'm very happy with the IS/PS combo. Probably the best film combo you can get.

21. MiniMini macrumors member

MiniMini

Definitely do NOT apply the I.S. on the screen on iPhone!! I have the I.S. on my entire MBP but I had another firm on the trackpad. The only thing that I can say is that you are NOT going to like the texture/ feeling when you glide your finger on a trackpad. It's not smooth at all!

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I dont suggest invisible shield for the screen
    there are theories that link the use of application solution to dead strips

use PS on the front and invisibleshield on the back

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Yes, that is what this thread is for. I understand that for sure. I'm seeing smudge and glare becoming a problem and now considering this film.

24. lesliegolf macrumors regular

I just went through this while in Baton Rouge on business.

I had the anti glare and thought it made my screen look very dull and hazy. Granted, no finger prints.

However, the moment I swapped to the Crystal protector there was a night and day difference. I have no problem cleaning off the fingerprints if it means my screen can look that nice.

I am actually heading to the local Apple Store here in San Francisco to see if I can swap out a pack of anti glares I have. That is if they have the crystal film in stock.

25. mntentman macrumors regular

Interesting. Apple Store in Minneapolis had tons of Crystal Film, but no anti-glare. Apple Store website says 6-8 weeks so I ordered from Power Support. Not sure if I will like the anti-glare better than the Crystal Film but figured I would check it out myself.