PS3, or 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Love, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I'm looking at consoles. I have a wii - awesome console, but not many games that interest me. They are both 399 so price is not an issue. Let's look at the pros and cons:

PS3:
    Pros:

I like the UI
    Good games that I would like
    I trust the device
    Good looks
    40 GB HD
    Like the controller
    PS3 Online

Cons:
    none for me

360:
    Pros:
    Good games that I would like
    OK looks
    Like the controller
    Big XBOX live community

Cons:
    I don't trust the device after they've had SO many problems.
    XBOX live is a bit expensive.

What do you think? I like them both... but I think the PS3 is a bit better. Your opinions?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Regarding your cons for the Xbox 360: I've had two Xboxes (I sold the first one to help pay for a newer one with HDMI) and I never had a single issue with either of them. No overheating, no RROD, nothing. Both 360s worked like a champ. I also have a PS3... but I almost never play it. There haven't been many games out for it yet that are my style (there are more coming, so that's good), and a lot of its good games are on the 360, which has the better online service by far. So I buy them for the 360. Also... is XBL really that expensive for you? It's $49.99 for one year, IIRC. Not too bad, though I can see where free online for the PS3 would draw you.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm planning on getting a PS3. It has some sweet games coming out. And Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank look amazing! It all depends. Look at the games coming soon, pick the system with the games you would enjoy. Don't forget the fact that the 360 wi-fi costs $100 plus the (not so high) Live price and it doesn't have HD video playback standard. But it's all up to you. Online community size doesn't really matter, as long as there are always people to play (and home looks cool).

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Love dude I can see that your new to the forums but please don't make us go through this again.....we just did something like this aaaaanyway...if you look a few threads down theres one exactly like this one.

So for the long short of it.....pick the one that has the games you want.

Bless

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i'm sry but the PS3 sucks. my friends has nothing but problems. However...if you like the blu-ray built in go get it...the graphics are incredible.

the 360 rocks. most of my friends have them and nothing has gone wrong with them. it has a incredible selection of great games and it is a wee bit cheaper.

both of them are great...chose the one thats right for you.:D

6. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

haha, sorry, I had quite a lot going at the time and forgot to search and check for other threads. :(

My friend went through 8 XBOX 360s.

He bought a PS3 and a Wii and they are GREAT. No problems.

There are also a lot of PS2 games I like so that is also a benefit of PS3.

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

then get a ps3...sounds like the right gaming machine for you;)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I which case make sure you do not get the 40gb version.

You will need the 60 or 80gb version to play PS2 games. Do not buy the 40 assuming you can play PS2 games because you will be sorely disappointed.

9. asxtb macrumors 6502

I love how you go from saying the PS3 sucks to saying it is great. Which is it?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Your friend went through 8 xboxs, but they didn't cost a penny to replace right? Something goes wrong with a Sony or Nintendo machine and you have to pay to ship it back and if something really is wrong with it and you're out of warranty; you're screwed.

I'd say go with the 360 for the better controller, online blahablah we've been over this a million times!

As for looks though. What?! The PS3 is like some kind of botched 80's nostalgic design (which is odd because, barring some design issues the PSP looks quite good) and the Xbox 360 is. well. Dell-like. Ah well! Props to Sony for copying that B&O reciever though!

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Nintendo has the best customer service ever! IF your our of warranty just pay $50, you get a new one and you get to keep the broken one :D.

12. asxtb macrumors 6502

Why do people keep bringing stuff like this up? All personal preference. I would say the PS3 controller is better by far.

And for the looks. Again personal preference. If the OP thinks it looks good why try to tell him he's wrong? I also like the look of the PS3. I like it better than the PS2 and the 360.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ it is personal preference.

I like the PS3 when it's stood up, it looks nice.
    I like the PS3 when it's horizontal, if you can see the top of it still otherwise if it's in a hifi unit / tv cabinet and all your seeing is this weird grill and protuberance on the front, then it is kinda 80's ugly.

As for controller, I would choose the 360. I prefer the grip and extra weight. I also find my PS3 controller's shoulder buttons cumbersome and very clicky & often stick (which they weren't on the ps2 pad so I don't know what sony fecked them up for.)

I also prefer a bit of distance between the analogue sticks, never been a fan of clumping them together.

I am waiting for Logitech to release a wireless six axis with rumble controller though, as they always make the best controllers, beating the manufacturers original even (well their cordless ps2 & xbox pads were the tops)

Shame in Europe, when you approach Nintendo they just treat you like third world leprosy victims and tell you to GFY! I just love how Nintendo cares for the european consumer so much.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I on the other hand perfer my PS3 controller....its more comfortable and fits into my hand.

I'm with you on the "way its position" thing....when its standing up its really beautiful but when laying down...

I(as in me) prefer my PS3 over the 360 because its more reliable and Im into the games. I only get games that are exclusive to the 360 and get the rest for PS3.

I don't even play my 360 much anymore......all because of the RROD:(

*Note: get use to certain people talking smack about the PS3 dude.

Bless

15. asxtb macrumors 6502

I've heard that complaint before but I've never had any problems with my controllers.

To add a bit about the controllers, I love the Sixaxis. Gives a little motion sensing but not full out Wii which I like.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I suppose ergnomic, accessory ports, proper analogue stick placement for modern games, concave triggers and rumble aren't everyones thing ;) that said the 360's dpad is just plain rubbish. Mines started squeaking at me.

It's also a huge step in the right direction to let 360 accessories and controllers work flawlessly with a PC.

http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006-2/1020newps3side_550x363.jpg People actually think that is pretty? Looks like something one of the intermediate students would have designed in college, urgh.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah there does seem to be a lot of hate for the sake of it, most of which is found-less.

But hey the reality is both consoles, nay all consoles are great in their own way. I do play my 360(s) more than PS3, but then I play my PS3, more than my Wii. (I play my DS Lite more than all of them put together)

18. asxtb macrumors 6502

Why do you keep trying to argue that other people's opinions are wrong?

I think the PS3 controller is very combortable. Analogue stick placement is perfect for me. Don't know what concave triggers would do for me. And the controllers do have rumble so that is no longer an argument.

And thanks for the picture of the side of the PS3 to try to prove your point. Hey take a look at the bottom of an iPod! What's with that slot there? Gosh, the iPod is ugly.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thing is the iPod bottom isn't always on display, it isn't even an example of poor design! ;)

Opinions are opinions. Some things are facts. Such as "there is no rumbling PS3 controller for sale in Europe", is it even out in the states yet? Is it even activated in PS3 games yet? I suppose you'll be saying that concave triggers and the ability to add accessories to the controller "are an opinion". Also, why is the primary input method for a 3D game placed on the secondary level on a PS1/2/3 controller?

20. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (SoftBank/1.0/913SH/SHJ001/SN353695010704641 Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Yep, and the thing is the PS3 side isn't always on display.

And yes, some things are facts. Such as "there ARE rumbling PS3 controller for sale in Japan, availible in black OR white!" Deep breathe Jimmi.

And please explain how preference for concave triggers are not an opinion. Or how because the 360 controller has them makes it a better controller.

The analog sticks on the PS3 work because they are closer together. If they were spaced apart like the 360 I might agree with you. Instead on the 360 the analog sticks are on different levels so you hold the controller crooked which is similar to the 64 controller which in my opinion was the worst controller ever.

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Does someone have the address of the older threads on this topic? There were quite a few last year if I'm correct. However, just to help out:

-Which console has a more appealing library?
    -Which fits your budget better? (though I have to say, when it really comes down to it, the differences financially between the two are not anything big)
    -Interested in Blu-Ray?

Both of good consoles, but in my beloved 360's defense, I've had no technical problems with it at all.

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Actually if you want HD video and wifi the PS3 is quite a lot cheaper. ($100 wifi-$180 HDDVD-$50yr Live) But he(she?) really needs to answer those questions to pick one.

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Japan != the rest of the world.

It is an opinion, but having used both the SixAxis and the 360 controller extensively (I own both consoles) the 360's feel more comfortable and they're easier to press in my eyes.

What are you talking about? Crooked? Unless you're already some sort of mutant you shouldn't have to hold it crooked. I hold mine straight.

24. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

One of my friends went through 3 360's and another friend's first one just crapped out. On the flip side, I don't know anyone with a PS3. I can't stand the PS controllers and think the XBOX controllers are the epitome of comfort and design. Most of the games I like usually end up on both consoles, but PS seems to get lame anime games mostly.

Nintendo... lost it years and years ago. The N64 was neat if you were 10 when it came out, the Gamecube was a disgrace to the video game market (as were its controllers), and the Wii...well it's an interesting concept and it's cheap (it had to be both or Nintendo would have went under by now), but it can't be called a video game system. It's in a league of its own (good or bad, I don't know).

25. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

The PS sticks don't work. they're in a horrible place. The controller just sucks. The XBOX sticks are intelligently designed. Why? because you use the left stick more than the d-pad and you use the buttons more than the right stick. With the PS3 you have to contort your left thumb to use the stick because you never use the d-pad. Four shoulder buttons is a dumb idea. Two shoulder buttons and two triggers is great design. Labelling your buttons with shapes to be different is also lame. Adding two extra buttons (with dumb names--black and white) is a great idea. Having your start and back buttons in a reachable location (XBOX) is a great idea. Overall, the XBOX controller is just far more comfortable.