PS3 Slim is coming. Whether you like it or not. :P

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Aug 4, 2009.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Sony Doubles PS3 Production

Think what you will. I think Sony's press conference in a couple of weeks will probably fuel PS3 sales back on top. What do you think?

If the magic number were $299, would you buy? After all, it's only $50 more than the Wii, and only $100 more than the 360. Of course the Wii will probably have a pricedrop soon as well. The most crucial area for Sony now is North America...So hopefully they do put out the magic number. :rolleyes:

BTW, backwards compatibility is coming back too. Sony's patent for Graphics Synthesizer emulation just went through a few days ago, so that's the last missing piece of the puzzle.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, at $300 I would buy. Hell, looking back at my BR player today, I wish I had bought the low-end PS3 in the long run. However, not being a gamer really any longer I was having trouble seeing the forest through the trees.

That said, to get a second BR player in the house I wouldn't mind a $300 PS3. I won't rush to buy but I would consider it if in the market for another BR player.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

All 'Naos' aside, I would welcome a price of 300$ with open arms and an open wallet.

6. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'd buy another PS3 in a heartbeat! C'mon, as another Blu-ray player it'd be awesome, but another PS3 in another room? Don't tell me you guys don't think that's a great value! :eek:

That and Sony's been putting out some awesome first-party games. Probably some of the best games this generation! Can't wait for Uncharted 2, GoW5 and GT5 though!

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

For the longest time Dell had the 80GB PS3 for $325 after instant discount and a coupon code.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm wanting another blu-ray player | ps3 (to add to my 2 already) so yeah I will buy one, and I hope the HDD is upgradeable on the slim.

9. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, but the question is, who shops at Dell? :p

I consider this new PS3 slim an official relaunch of the PS3. The one that should have taken place 3 years ago. ;)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ So are the board at Sony ;)

Lets hope the smaller form factor doesn't bring with it any 'heat' issues. My PS3's whilst quiet initially both (launch USA and launch Euro) get very warm after gaming for an hour or two.....

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I paid $299 two Christmas's ago after a Sony Credit Card rebate.

Last Christmas, the Sony Credit Card rebate brought it to $249... :eek:

Needless to say - Sony sold tons of them...

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wii price drop? hahaha. With Wii Sports 2 just released, a new Mario game on the horizon? Still outselling both 360 and PS3 (only 30k shy of outselling them COMBINED)?

13. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

Meh, I spent $399(CDN)last year on mine and have been incredibly happy with it. I sold off my Xbox360 & Wii since they just collected dust after never using them once I got my PS3. Hopefully they drop in price soon though for all of you that don't have one yet! And they slim it down a bit, cause there is a lot of junk in that trunk.

14. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, but sales have severely slowed down for the Wii. I'm worried, just because I have a Wii, but haven't touched it since Smash Bros last fall. It's been gathering dust, BUT I have to say I'll be playing with it again once the Metroid Prime Trilogy is out. :D

The PS3 and 360 on the other hand, I touch just about every day of the week. Why? Because it has games, whereas Wii is seriously lacking in right now.

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i would love it if they brought down the price.
    i haven't even been looking at the prices because i can't afford it.
    man i want one, and time to play it.

i think the reason why the wii is so big is that there are more normal people then people who actually play games. don't get me wrong, but i think there are gamers (not even hardcore, just mildly) and people who play wii.

16. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

allready have one, but i might buy another one for that price to use it as a blu ray player for my second tv. if they sell it for $250 i would line up for that baby:D

17. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah all the people I know with a Wii haven't touched theirs in a year too. Why? Again, games. And the problem is that casual non-gamers are buying the Wii. Nintendo probably knew that and targeted those people, and so gamers that have a Wii are getting lower quality titles.

The PS3 wasn't overpriced, it was rather a great value that was out of reach for the average consumer. Once it hit's $299, people will buy it. They should just stick with ONE SKU, and not worry about pack-in games, unless it's $299 with a pack-in game. 360 sales should have been amazing with the $199 pricepoint, but I think the multiple SKU system screwed them up.

18. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya and that they are Microsoft :p

still at $300, i could buy new headlights for my car, well almost. dam i need new headlights.
    wow i can't find right now what i wanted but it was e36 zkw 65w euro ellipsoid... wow i really want to find them, i thought i book marked them, so when i had the money, dam.

19. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Just saw that our local electronics retailer ("Saturn", big chain) is selling the 80GB PS3 for 299 Euros, regular price.

Another sign of the imminent slim version?

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Considering that an Arcade 360+HDD and a BluRay player are cheaper, no, I don't think it's great value ;).

BR Players can be bought as low as £100 here. So that whole buying a PS3 as a BR player is no longer relevant. All the more reason to get a cheaper PS3 out!

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt the Slim will be 300$, but the bigger one could. Slim ~350-400$ when it comes and bigger ones will be sold for ~250-300$, and when bigger ones are sold, Slim drops to 300$. Just my guessing ;)

22. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I'll go along with the idea of buying one as a primary BR player and an extra PS3 in the living room.

Or maybe I'd put the slim in my bedroom and put the chunky 60GB one in the living room.

Decisions...

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was like that for a while myself. The NCAA 09 experience REALLY soured me on EA Sports, even though Tiger Woods 09 is awesome. Most of what I played on the PS2 was sports stuff, and NCAA 09 was worse than NCAA 06 on the PS2.

Wii Sports Resort is great for just playing about 10 minutes worth of stuff. The three-point shooting wore my arm out because I was so determined to break my record of 23, yet I can never do it. It's not the best game on the planet, but it does have some realistic mini-games.

But yes, number of quality games does seem to be a problem. It's always been a problem on every console IMO. As I mentioned in another post, I get bored of just shooting up different stuff. The latest GH World Tour made me like the GH franchise again, and I'd love to be able to afford the GH5 set with all the toys. Luckily, I'm still in the market for the Ghostbusters game and PES 2010, so there are a few games to be had.

Back on topic, I hope the PS3 slim will at least reduce the ridiculous power usage. That alone kept me from ever wanting a PS3 as a BD player, let alone a game system. The PS3 has always been kinda pricey if you don't want a BD player, so hitting $299 would be good for it. Sony used that game system to win the HD DVD/Blu-ray war, so it's a plus for them despite the lower system sales.

But I hope the PS3 slim isn't like the PS2 slim was for me: a replacement. I read a column on CNet wanting a replacement for the Xbox 360 because of problems with the original. At that point, I thought "shouldn't a console work longer than 3 years?" I hope for the owners that these shiny, flashy consoles are working well because nothing made me madder than the original PS2 dying for me and numerous friends just about the time that the slim model came out. When reading that column, I realized that my Wii has given me a single problem, and that was a bad used disc that I got replaced. Microsoft and Sony shouldn't need to build new consoles to bilk existing customers for another $200-300.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Absolutely. I haven't touched my PSP or 360 in months just because I've played everything I wanted to play on them. I'm kind of at a dead end with those now, the PSP is going to get awesome in a month or 2 but the 360 just has nothing that interests me. I was looking forward to Alan Wake but they've turned that into an episodic game? Blah.
    But week in week out I'm still playing Brawl and Kart ;) and it's the same for all the chaps and chapettes around here. I guess the mini tournaments help.

25. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha weird it's quite the opposite for me. I play my PS3 at least a couple times a week (also watch movies on it a couple times a week), whereas my 360/Wii is gathering dust. But the Metroid Prime Trilogy will change everything for the Wii. The 360, ehh...I dunno yet. ;)

I'm still looking forward to Alan Wake, but until I read reviews, I won't be getting it when it first comes out. I'm tired of paying full price for overhyped games that aren't really that great (and probably don't deserve the ratings that they deserve, like Killzone 2, Halo 3, Gears of War, etc). I'm looking forward to COD Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, God of War III, etc.