Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Ummm... what are you talking about. The Apple employee didn't post this chat. This is called iMessage lol, the guy who is complaining in the Twitter post took the screenshot clearly. Time to explore iMessage a bit more eh buddy! :) nice try on the joke though
I think you misunderstood. It wasn’t about posting the chat but rather the contents of the chat

GrannySmithPro

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020

With the Apple Watch Series 6, Apple introduced two new band options, the Solo Loop and the Braided Solo Loop. These new bands are unique because they have no clasps, buckles, or other fasteners, and instead use a stretch design to allow them to pull onto the wrist over the hand.

braidedsololoop.jpg

Because these bands are not adjustable, Apple sells each one in nine different sizes to make sure each person gets a snug fit. To get the right sizing, Apple offers a printable tool [PDF] and also measurement comparisons so you can estimate size, but as it turns out, that sizing isn't always accurate and Apple's returns for ill-fitting bands ordered with one of the new Apple Watches are a hassle.

Customers who chose a Solo Loop or a Braided Solo Loop along with an Apple Watch Series 6 or SE and have a poor fit can't just return the band for a new size -- the entire Apple Watch has to be returned since it's considered a set.

Unfortunately, there are limited supplies of the new Apple Watch Series 6 models and the new bands, so customers forced to make a return are now having to wait from late October to late November for a new Apple Watch, depending on the model chosen.

There are complaints about Apple's return policy for the Apple Watch bands on Twitter and on a long discussion of the Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands on the MacRumors forums. Apple Watch models that are not fitting properly must be returned in full, and Apple's online support staff has been offering no alternative.

Some MacRumors readers appear to have had luck getting a different-sized band without exchanging the entire watch in an Apple retail store, but it's not clear if that's going to be an option for all users, especially as most Apple Stores seem to have limited band stock. From the MacRumors forums:For those who haven't ordered yet, it's worth reading through the Solo Loop discussion on the MacRumors forums because it's filled with anecdotal fit tips from people who have already been able to try a Solo Loop or Braided Solo Loop. Several people have found Apple's printable measurement tool to be inaccurate, as some have even found measurement comparisons incorrect.

There seems to be a preference for a slightly snugger Braided Solo Loop due to stretch, while people have had less trouble with the Solo Loop, but it varies by person. A snug fit is also required for the Blood Oxygen monitoring feature to work properly. The best way to get a good fitting watch is to visit an Apple Store, but of course, that is difficult in some places where Apple Stores haven't reopened, and in others where the pandemic is continues to be a concern.

At the current time, there seems to be no clear option for people who have an ill-fitting band beyond waiting, but hopefully Apple Watch stock will improve and shipment estimates won't be quite as long as Apple's current November estimates.

Article Link: PSA: New Apple Watch Owners Have to Return Entire Device for Ill-Fitting Solo Loop or Braided Solo Loop

OKAY... are a boat load of new band adopters experiencing sizing problems? ABSOLUTELY. But paying attention to this guy that wants to blow it all up, he's actually incorrect on many many things.

1. The Solo Loop and Braided Loop come in many sizes and it can get messy yes, but that fitment guide which is super clear on the website does tell you to print accordingly. So first thing I'm guessing is his printer sucks, he didn't print to the correct paper ratio, or some other issue there... IF NOT then:

2. Look at how tight he is holding the paper guide!!! It shouldn't be that tight my man! Yea it shows between a 7 and 8 but just go with either, it will probably get stretchier and softer over time so get 7 to be sure so, but I think because he's holding it so damn tight I'm sure 8 is fine too! So no need to complain that he needs a 7.5 cuz there isn't one... and world-class designers of Apple most likely solved this by making 7 and then 8. No in between numbers this isn't a pair of shoes my dude!

3. For the Blood O2 Sensor, I have read and heard of people not able to take reads cuz they think its like the heart rate that records BPM; where you can be moving, doing sports, jumping rope, hell even be upside down doing yoga. BUT NOT for BLOOD OXYGEN buddy, the flow of your blood that is measured with the red IR sensors needs you to be still. I think the O2 sensor not working as another one of your many complaints is just user error. Hold still, put your arm on a table or something still and just be patient for 15 seconds, not that hard. I doubt it's defective or something his band causes, but hey looks like he's so mad about his band fitment that he is now ranting at just about anything.

4. If you ain't happy, return it bra! Not the end of the world. Calm down and move on :) Series 6 is friggin AWE SUM.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Funny. Last year I actually HAD to return the whole watch and they went in back and brought out another. Fortunately, it was an in store pick up so my box wasn’t opened yet.

Same here. It was so frustrating last year. I brought that up with the guy helping me exchange my bands this past weekend, he said the process is different now.

I guess the process isn’t as universal as I thought it was

Reactions: jbachandouris

Friscochris

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
When I went to pick mine up they at first wouldn’t let me in the store even though I had an appointment. I told them I wanted to test the solo bands and if it was possible to trade bands if I wanted to. They told me no, not without exchanging everything. Glad I didn’t go with that band now and finding out I got the wrong size.

On a side note my wife was also wanting to see the blue watch for a possible trade to what she ordered. You’d think spending close to $1k and having an appointment Apple would accommodate. We got lucky that one employee stepped up, but guy at the door was really trying to keep us out. Whoever designed this system better reevaluate for the iPhone launch. Part of buying Apple is the experience and setting everything up in store (which would have been nice with my wife’s watch since it had problems) and getting pushed out quickly makes it a buzzkill.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
To be fair, this was on the docket way before the pandemic.

Only jobs would be crazy enough to say scrap the whole thing and start new even as production is beginning after molds are made.
Oh for sure. But they did have 6 months from the time the pandemic really kicked into full gear in March until now to develop a good customer experience for handling returns. It might have been too late to change course on those bands but Apple definitely had time to fix the customer service side of the equation.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Another one of those ideas that Apple sells as great but turns out not quite to be the case.

I’m assuming the set that is sent back (watch and band) are now sold as refurbished? Very poorly thought out Apple!

Still I guess they can stomach the issues for the 1000% markup on bands

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
OKAY... are a boat load of new band adopters experiencing sizing problems? ABSOLUTELY. But paying attention to this guy that wants to blow it all up, he's actually incorrect on many many things.

1. The Solo Loop and Braided Loop come in many sizes and it can get messy yes, but that fitment guide which is super clear on the website does tell you to print accordingly. So first thing I'm guessing is his printer sucks, he didn't print to the correct paper ratio, or some other issue there... IF NOT then:

2. Look at how tight he is holding the paper guide!!! It shouldn't be that tight my man! Yea it shows between a 7 and 8 but just go with either, it will probably get stretchier and softer over time so get 7 to be sure so, but I think because he's holding it so damn tight I'm sure 8 is fine too! So no need to complain that he needs a 7.5 cuz there isn't one... and world-class designers of Apple most likely solved this by making 7 and then 8. No in between numbers this isn't a pair of shoes my dude!

3. For the Blood O2 Sensor, I have read and heard of people not able to take reads cuz they think its like the heart rate that records BPM; where you can be moving, doing sports, jumping rope, hell even be upside down doing yoga. BUT NOT for BLOOD OXYGEN buddy, the flow of your blood that is measured with the red IR sensors needs you to be still. I think the O2 sensor not working as another one of your many complaints is just user error. Hold still, put your arm on a table or something still and just be patient for 15 seconds, not that hard. I doubt it's defective or something his band causes, but hey looks like he's so mad about his band fitment that he is now ranting at just about anything.

4. If you ain't happy, return it bra! Not the end of the world. Calm down and move on :) Series 6 is friggin AWE SUM.

For the record, he ordered the 8 and it was way too big. The eight was not, as you suggest, fine. There have been many reports that the sizing of the tool is off so I doubt everyone just has a printer that sucks.

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
Love my band! I knew it would be difficult to size right when ordering but took the risk and got it right. :cool:

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Unfortunately a lot of Apple Stores aren't open right now, and requiring people to visit during a pandemic is poor planning. There isn't a policy for mail-in band exchanges.

Good point. The good news is that the people in the Apple Support/Apple Store HQ groups have Macrumors notifications setup (confirmed from a friend in the group) and they've likely seen this post. Hoping some changes occur!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I’ve had to deal with this. Here’s how you get around it.

You HAVE to go to retail store. Make sure the store you go to has the right size/band in stock otherwise you’ll waste a lot of time for no reason.

Tell the Apple Employee to process a “No receipt return” and process it as an exchange to the band you want.

They will need a manager override but as long as you don’t have a difficult employee/manager, it will be done.

THIS!!! This is literally what you do. Literally. Listen to this advice people.

Reactions: depaulsunny

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Well, with the prices they are asking for these things and that so many people are going for them, me included (braided solo band even) I think Apple can do a whole lot more to accommodate their customers better and still make a killing on these crazy expensive rubber bands.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
to me this band seemed like a bad idea from the get go. I like wearing my watch a little loose during the day and a little tight when going for a run or an intense workout. I wouldn’t want to have to choose

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I swapped out just the band, not because of the size (they measured me at the Apple Store and I downsized, but braided solo loop was kinda tight), but because of the future AirPower and rumored reverse wireless charging on iPhone, or any flat charger for the Apple Watch.

Also $130 for a fabric that I can probably tear easily seems like a bad idea.

I’ll probably get a rubber solo loop, but I never had an issue with the sports band... so...

Craptastic

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2020
This entire thread is Karen’s visiting the Apple Store, please don’t give the associate helping you a hard time for this.

this is what works for the company and their inventory stand point. Lots of companies do things like this.

me thinks a few of you need to relax.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Best option: get one of the regular loops, the ones with velcro or magnets, instead. Especially if you can’t try it out in person before buying, but even then, what’s comfortable for a minute or so may not be for all day.

They really should, though, offer a no-band option.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
If Apple didn’t want to be so wasteful, they should actually make it universally clear that bands can be swapped without replacing the watch.

AND let us just buy the watch with no band. It’s such a waste.

Granted, my Apple Watch S6 came with a watch band that had a retail sticker that they can scan. So in theory, I can just return the watch band that came with my S6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.