Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Psystar Files Appeal in Apple Lawsuit Over Unauthorized Mac Clones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Mac Observer reports that unauthorized Mac clone make Psystar has officially filed an appeal of an injunction won by Apple preventing the company from selling computer systems modified to run Mac OS X.
Psystar has officially filed its Notice of Appeal in the copyright suit it lost against Apple Inc., according to a court document obtained by The Mac Observer. The step was a formality in the appeals process, but until it was filed, it was unclear if the company would actually mount an appeal.
Psystar shut down its sales operation last month in order to comply with the December 31st deadline set in the court ruling, although it continues to sell T-shirts and ask for donations to support its cause as it proceeds through the appeals process. An initial report after the injunction was issued suggested that Psystar may have given up the fight and would be shuttered permanently, but a company lawyer quickly refuted the claim, vowing that Psystar would continue to fight on.

Article Link: Psystar Files Appeal in Apple Lawsuit Over Unauthorized Mac Clones

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Was it ever revealed who Psystar's mysterious corporate backers are? I thought that was supposed to come out as part of the lawsuit.

Comment

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
A world with Pystar is good for consumers.

No. It. Isn't.

Consumers do not benefit from Psystar's underhanded techniques, because if they were to win, Apple will implement draconian hardware checking, or other measures to ensure that you are only able to run OS X on Apple machines.

Consumers only benefit from ACTUAL competition, not bottom feeders that just take what they want and try to make a profit from it.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
If you owned a company and hit a roadblock, would you give up? I sure wouldn't.

A world with Pystar is good for consumers.

To which roadblock do you refer? The business plan based on theft of intellectual property? The business operations that constitute copyright infringement and violation of the DMCA? The pesky little contracts that are binding on me (EULAs) that prevent me from doing what I'm doing? Or the fact that my product is such crap that even by stealing from another company and using the other company's own products against them at a lower price I still can't manage to sell more than a few hundred boxes?

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If Microsoft cannot win their appeal against the injunction against word/ office 2007, how can this counterfeit outfit win theirs?

Waste of time.

Are these stupid hackers still alive? Or is this just a remake of George Romero's great classic on zombies?

They are not hackers. They steal the work of open-source people and sell the free work for profit.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
If Microsoft cannot win their appeal against the injunction against word/ office 2007, how can this counterfeit outfit win theirs?

Waste of time.

They are not hackers. They steal the work of open-source people and sell the free work for profit.

Well, for starters Psystar can't afford Matt Powers, who messed up the case for MS :)

Comment

dasein

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Deep Pockets

Somebody has deep pockets here. These guys aren't in it alone. It isn't lawyers...where would they get paid from with these guys making T-shirts? Someone's pushing the envelope.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.