Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Psystar today announced the release of Rebel EFI, a new software product that enables users to install any modern operating system, including Mac OS X Snow Leopard, on a wide variety of PCs.
Psystar Corporation will begin selling the software it uses to run OS X Snow Leopard on generic Intel hardware. Available for download directly from Psystar.com, the Rebel EFI suite allows users to easily install any OS on their computer. Available today, Rebel EFI allows machines with Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 or Xeon Nehalem CPUs to install any modern operating system, including Mac's newest release of OS X. Users would simply download the new software from Psystar.com, burn it onto a CD and follow the onscreen instructions to easily install the OS.
Available as a time-limited free trial to ensure compatibility, the full version of Rebel EFI is normally priced at $89.99 but is currently being offered at an introductory price of $49.99. Psystar is also launching an "approval program" that will allow users having difficulty setting up their systems with Psystar's products to send in their components to have them certified for compatibility.

Apple and Psystar have been embroiled in ongoing legal disputes stemming from Psystar's launch of its own-branded computers running Mac OS X, which Apple claims is in violation of the operating system license. Psystar has continued to expand its offerings since its initial hardware release 18 months ago, releasing several new hardware models and launching earlier this month a licensing program to allow third-party PC manufacturers to preinstall Psystar's boot loader on their systems for easy installation of Mac OS X.

Article Link: Psystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Snow Leopard on PCs

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
I expect that some here might argue here that Psystar have gone too far here - but thinking about it, it's just as bad as uTorrent, or Demonoid. They could be used for illicit purposes, but that doesn't mean that the software manufacturer is doing anything wrong.

Dodgy territory though.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I love it. If Apple's management would get their heads out of their you-know-whats, they'd drop that stupid license clause and would start to make some serious money with the mass of computer users.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wish it supported Core Duo in addition to Core 2 Duo. My wife's Dell ran out of security protection and Snow Leopard would be a nice upgrade. I'd just OSX86 it but then you have to worry about upgrades and maintenance, etc. Plus the only time I ever tried to load it before the wrong kext file was installed and it pretty much hosed my old computer for a few days until I could fix it. So I'm a little cautious. Does anyone have an easy to install OSX86 guide for an Inspiron 9400 Core Duo with integrated graphics? Thanks!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
What's sickening is the fact that Psystar is trying to profit from this by selling them, something that they leeched for free from the OSx86 project. I hope the only one person that's willing to purchase this will put up a torrent on all trackers so nobody will give Psystar money. That's only fair.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Now they just need to add AMD support;)

Though installing can be a pain in the rear. What is even worse is getting drivers for everything. I have yet to get my Radeon 4850 to work in Leopard with QE/CI, none of the patched kexts work. Though I have everything else working including all my audio ports on my gaming rig.

Perhaps I should try upgrading to Snow Leopard but it took enough time getting Leopard close.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
kik arse....

when i get home i will have snow leopard on my desktop.

for now ya... but if apple wins the lawsuit or a cease and disist, this will probably show up open source and get updated by the community.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
kik arse....

when i get home i will have snow leopard on my desktop.

Make sure you share that software with the world! Give Psystar a taste of its own medicine. About 5000 of us should donate a penny each and buy one copy. Then as others said, load it everywhere for FREE!

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
I love it. If Apple's management would get their heads out of their you-know-whats, they'd drop that stupid license clause and would start to make some serious money with the mass of computer users.

How many times do we have to say it?

Apple went down this road ages ago, and got absolutely slaughtered (almost went under). Why the hell would they do it again?

flowney

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
We've seen this tactic before

Not sure if this is still true but there was a time when you could purchase a semi-automatic M-16 rifle in one transaction and, in another transaction, purchase a kit to concert semi-automatic to full automatic.

This sounds like a variation on that same theme.

Moreover, if this is not successfully challenged, Psystar will try to say that if an individual can do this (buy MacOS X and install it on generic PC hardware), why can't they?

This is obviously a fifth column effort funded by some shadow figure from the Windows world or someone with a personal grudge against Apple or one of its top management persons. I hope we eventually find out who the Daddy Warbucks behind all this is. Who could that be?

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
….and it will be on the torrent sites tomorrow…

this whole situation with Paystar getting more odd, day by day.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
What's sickening is the fact that Psystar is trying to profit from this by selling them, something that they leeched for free from the OSx86 project. I hope the only one person that's willing to purchase this will put up a torrent on all trackers so nobody will give Psystar money. That's only fair.

This is just further proof that Psystar has no respect for IP/Copyright law.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
does this work with Pentium 4 chips? Im trying this on my PC. I downloaded the trial edition and not **** is happening. Leopard disk is in. File is downloaded and im clicking on it and nothing really is going on.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
How many times do we have to say it?

Apple went down this road ages ago, and got absolutely slaughtered (almost went under). Why the hell would they do it again?

it's unbelievable how many people think that Apple would make money by just selling the OS.

Please try to understand:
Apple makes money selling HARDWARE.
The OS and iLife apps are there to complete the user experience.

If Apple were to sell the OS and iLife without the Mac, they would get into the freaking "make sure you're supported on any ol' x86 crap", and make it far more expensive than it is now.

This ususal cr@p by Psystar makes life just a little more difficult.
Which idiot will buy some middle-of-the-road PC and install this ***** and expect a perfect user experience... or call Apple support. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.