Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Funny how everyone on here condemns the use of torrents until it's something against Apple then the attitude suddenly changes.:rolleyes:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Your wrong. Going toe to toe in an area where Microsoft dominates would be a terrible idea. It doesn't matter how desireable OSX is, you are not going to increase adoption by making it available on cheaper hardware. Please read the multitude of articles out there to figure out why this would be a bad idea. It boils down to: you do not remove a competitive advantage when your only competitor controls 90% of the market. Going toe-to-toe with Microsoft has been shown to be lethal for companies.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Legalities aside, it doesn't bother me. Just so long as:

1. Apple's not forced to spend time/money offering any support to hardware that their product was not designed for.

Apple will however have no choice but handle the increased call volume, and tell the person at the end of the phone to sod off if they ascertain they haven't got an Apple machine. That takes time, staff and therefore a ton of money.

4. Apple's reputation for quality doesn't take an underserved hit (in the press or in the market) just due to problems exclusive to NON-Apple hardware.

Therein lies the problem, as this is the main thing that would happen.

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
I still cannot imagine using OS X on a PC. I just don't think it's the same when you use Mac OS off Apple's hardware. I've done emulators... it just isn't the same. (IMHO, not trying to bash anyone here).

I'd have to agree from a certain extent, if not just for OS X, I use Apple for their hardware. I purchased my first mac last year and usually within the first 6 months of ANY PC purchase i've ever done its ended back up in the shop at least 2-3 times... so far my macbook has went almost a year without any hardware failures.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Unbelievable... what a great way to Hackintosh legally... for now!
Um, no. Although Psystar isn't doing anything wrong by offering a compatible EFI flash, and you're not doing anything wrong by installing it. You *ARE* still doing something wrong (technically) by install OS X on it. The EULA specifically states its for use on Apple branded hardware only. Which your machine is not.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I have a legal copy of Snow Leopard, and I'm in the process of building an i7 rig. This'll be interesting. Since I own SL I don't feel $50 is stealing... but I'll be tight on money even though I'll be working. If I happen to find this app on a torrent site I'll be more than happy to DL it.

Here's to me getting the money for this project....

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I love it. If Apple's management would get their heads out of their you-know-whats, they'd drop that stupid license clause and would start to make some serious money with the mass of computer users.

While a knee-jerk response is to agree with you the fact is Apple CAN NOT (should not) engineer their OS to be installable on 'run of the mill PC components'

Why?!?!

Well the reason OS X can run so well is in no small part due to the LIMITED number of potential components is has to provide (and/or get the manufactures to provide) drivers for. Apple supports a very specific number of Video Cards and YES the nVidia drivers that get installed by Apple do indeed support cards that Apple never shipped and never will ship and the same goes for ATI... The cards are designed (usually) so hardware drivers could be a 'universal' as possible. However there are times when both companies make a big enough change that merits new driver development and then the Apple driver is usually the LAST to get the change since the card that the change was made for isn't one that Apple would utilize (not any time soon anyway).

So thats just video drivers and the problems they bring to the table...

Then you have:

- A plethora of BIOS/EFI possibilities
- CPU support issues (probably not a major deal)
- On-Board SATA drivers
- On-board RAID drivers
- AUDIO don't even get me started on the variety from mobo to mobo and EVEN audio chip changes in the SAME mobo model.
- On-board WIFI
- Ethernet chipsets from any number of providers

These (and many more) are all things that Apple would have to personally address if they wanted to create a truly universal OS X that could be installed on 'any PC'.

Then they'd need to SERIOUSLY ramp up their QA group to allow them to adequately torture test all the different combinations and permutations of systems and then train their support personnel and documentation would be another nightmare. It's simply not realistic for Apple to 'officially' do anything like this, not without a major increase in staffing.

Now thats not to say Apple couldn't meet the hardware makers half way...

Go to Dell/HP/Gateway/etc and offer them the ability to make OS X ready systems when Apple would need to negotiate (dictate) what types of hardware said systems would be built with and then those companies couldn't just swap out one audio chip for another because they got a better price because then OS X wouldn't recognize the new component.

They COULD do but again to what end?! It would mean that Apple computer hardware sales specifically Mac PROs would be eaten up by the cheap box makers.

Hardware sales (profits) drives and FUNDS the OS development and the Mac PRO is one of Apples biggest profit centers. Its a vicious cycle AND a delicate balancing act. Lets face it Apple COULD give **US** exactly what we want... an open-ended computer with expansion slots and a cover you don't need to be a magician in order to open and all at a price well below the (admittedly sexy as hell) Mac Pro but with a consumer level CPU and not nearly as expensive (or cool) of a case all for a really good price but the profit that type of system is far less then a Mac Pro and less profit = less money to fund OS X development.

They could do that in a snap of the fingers, all without letting any 3rd party in on the OS X prize but then the Mac Pro sales will take a fairly substantial hit as a result.

In my perfect world this is what Apple needs to do.

Make the Mac Pro sales a 'nonissue' by selling a FAR greater number of OTHER hardware (even with lower profit margins) that would all go to fund the development of OS X.

- Pro Laptops
- Consumer Laptops
- iPhone
- iPod Touch
- Mac mini
- Apple TV
- Tablet

Once the Mac Pro revenue isn't relied upon then Apple can, when it feels the need to, bust out with a 'mid-level' (expandable) box for the rest of us and when it does it too will be a huge success. All hail xMac!

Who knows perhaps we're already at the time where the Mac Pro revenue has become marginalized to the point where Apple IS considering it's options. In fact giving serious thought to it I'm sure it is. Now Apple just has to determine the best time/way to roll out this xMac (headless iMac or whatever else you want to call it).

In short (too late!) Apple needs to ride/absorb a possible 40% or 50% drop in Mac Pro sales (maybe even more) before it'll contemplate this.

Phreakuency

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
I still don't get why Apple are taking legal action.

They don't want people to be able to buy their OS and install it on a Windows computer, yet they have their own software in their computer that allows people to install Windows.

How is this different?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Maybe you do not understand what Apple is going to be about IN THE FUTURE.

To be fair, neither do you.

Um, no. Although Psystar isn't doing anything wrong by offering a compatible EFI flash, and you're not doing anything wrong by installing it. You *ARE* still doing something wrong (technically) by install OS X on it. The EULA specifically states its for use on Apple branded hardware only. Which your machine is not.
Agreed. Using EFI is not illegal in of itself, but the problem here is that Psystar is not only enabling it, it's endorsing the activity in a manner that they are not able to - implying that they have authority over OSX usage - something that is (in reality land) controlled by Apple. ANd they are running a business around it.

While I am not necessarily against an individual hackintoshing OSX, things change heavily when a company starts doing it. It ruins the industry as a whole.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Apple will however have no choice but handle the increased call volume, and tell the person at the end of the phone to sod off if they ascertain they haven't got an Apple machine. That takes time, staff and therefore a ton of money..

No, sorry to say that you are wrong. You have to provide your Mac's serial number before you even get into a queue to talk to someone. And trust me as someone who has a Mac Pro with a replacement motherboard with no serial number, it's a real bitch to get a human.

Hell, at this point with Apple basically giving the finger to all the MacPro1,1 owners, I said f-it. I'll keep buying Macbooks and iMacs, but this is my last "Workstation" from Apple.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007

They don't want people to be able to buy their OS and install it on a Windows computer, yet they have their own software in their computer that allows people to install Windows.

How is this different?

It's very simple. It's not against Microsoft's EULA to install Windows on 3rd party hardware (notably because Microsoft does not make computers). It is against Apple's EULA to install Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
How is this different?
Microsoft licenses their software to specifically allow what Apple advertises. Apple does not license their software like that. Why you ask? Their business models are different. It's in MS business interests to sell Windows to anybody wiklling to buy it seperate from hardware, they don't care - they don't make or sell hardware. Apple is a hardware seller though. They do care.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
didnt work for me... installation keeps failing right at the end... 2 times iv tried now..

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Psystar's latest attempt to legitimize theft. It's sad. And soon it'll all come to an end. Just have to wait out the process.

Ummm... if you LEGITIMATELY own OSX, it belong to you. Just like the iPhone. Apple needs to realize something. We do not lease there products. We own them.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This may be a hoax

In other words, the demo works with greatly limited capacity and there is no 'full' version when you try to buy it (it goes all the way in checkout but never goes through to charging your card and sending an activation code)

It may be just another means to attack Apples lawyers (it sort of looks like either madness,obsession, vendetta, or all three)

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I love it. If Apple's management would get their heads out of their you-know-whats, they'd drop that stupid license clause and would start to make some serious money with the mass of computer users.

And then Apple would have to support many more configurations in the OS, which turns it into... WINDOWS! or just suffer in the public image from much more incompatability than Windows ever did, hence erasing Apple's advantage in stability. Apple's all about the whole package. You really think they're desparate for more money, with $30 billion sitting around?

In fact, remember that selling OS X would cut into hardware sales, which is where Apple makes most of its computer-related monies. Apple only wants its software running on its premium hardware (as compared to a $399 Dell, for example).

Making it available to PC owners would be detrimental to their bottom line, not helpful.

How is this different?

Microsoft likes the situation, because they are selling more compies of Windows. Remember, however, that Apple is a hardware company, and uses its software to drives hardware sales. Microsoft doesn't make computers. All they care about is selling as many copies of Windows as possible. Apple wants to sell as much hardware as possible.

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
I expect that some here might argue here that Psystar have gone too far here - but thinking about it, it's just as bad as uTorrent, or Demonoid. They could be used for illicit purposes, but that doesn't mean that the software manufacturer is doing anything wrong.

Dodgy territory though.

With those programs you can also share your own stuff with other people. Like running home brew software on those Nintendo cartridges. These excuses are the only reasons these products exist, but everybody knows that everybody uses these programs for sharing copyrighted materials.
What Psystar is making here is made for one purpose only : running OSX on non macs. Selling their software or hardware is the only reason for them to do this kind of things. They just take someone else's software and sell it. Why are they trying to act against the will of a company whose software they want to sell with their systems?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
It's very simple. It's not against Microsoft's EULA to install Windows on 3rd party hardware (notably because Microsoft does not make computers). It is against Apple's EULA to install Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Well snap, that's not fair, stamps foot.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Ummm... if you LEGITIMATELY own OSX, it belong to you. Just like the iPhone. Apple needs to realize something. We do not lease there products. We own them.
No, you own the hardware, you license the software (well you may own the physical disc). Owing software would imply that you own the intellectual content on the disc and any trademarks there-in. That is not the case with any software that you purchase weather it is from Apple or Microsoft. The minute you make a copy of any software, you have to agree to a license that specifically says that you do not own it.

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007
This may be a hoax

In other words, the demo works with greatly limited capacity and there is no 'full' version when you try to buy it (it goes all the way in checkout but never goes through to charging your card and sending an activation code)

It may be just another means to attack Apples lawyers (it sort of looks like either madness,obsession, vendetta, or all three)

Is this true, or are you speculating?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.