Public Reaction to Your Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sbharj, Apr 26, 2015.

1. sbharj, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

sbharj macrumors member

I'm just curious about any experiences you've had with people noticing your apple watch. On Friday & Saturday i was literally getting stopped in the street and had people coming up to me in bars (I assume this will only last for a few weeks max... hopefully!)

Most of the people were nice and just want to take a look or ask how i find it. Then you get the not so nice comments... funnily enough these conversations almost always start with "so how much did that cost then". And then i had 1 person yesterday who was just down right abusive.

What have your experiences been like

(Note: I have a 42 SS Classic)

2. khn macrumors newbie

Surprisingly, I've had none. I think people do notice it because of the distracting blue band, but otherwise...no questions. I'm trying to keep it that way. :)

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Tell us more stories! You can't say something like "one was abusive" without some details, c'mon! FEED US. :)

4. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

None really. My mates have been wanting to wear it, coupled with "I'm not getting one" and "What's the point?".

The woman at Starbucks smiled when I used it to get a coffee. I think I was her first ;)

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Most people don't even know the Apple watch exist.

6. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

One woman noticed it briefly. Then we started talking about something else like it didn't even exist.

7. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

I haven't had any public reactions yet, but I haven't been out much either. I did talk about it for a bit with a phone rep from my bank when I called to verify my card for Apple Pay on the watch though.

8. mbushnell macrumors member

I paid for coffee at Dunkin Donuts this morning. I held out my wrist and the girl asked me why I was holding out my arm. Then her co-worker noticed my watch and was like OH IS THAT THE APPLE WATCH? Guess she didn't realize she needed to scan my pass on the watch.

9. sterl320 macrumors 6502

so many people at work yesterday asked to see the mickey face.

10. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

I love my macbook pro, i love my iPhone 6 and i love my iPad. The Apple watch i have zero interest in. So if I ever did see one out in public it wouldn't get much interest from me either.

The idea of having to put your watch on charge every day just sucks, I have a Casio GBA 400. That will do me just fine :)

11. ToverT macrumors member

We went to a restaurant yesterday and the Hostess immediately asked me "Oh Wow, is that the Apple Watch"? (43MM Sports with a white band). She asked a ton of questions about it and told me she wants to get one really bad!. She loved it. Went to my brothers house and he had several guests over. A few of them asked about it and asked for a demo of it.

I love it!!!!

12. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Right on. :rolleyes:

13. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Question: do you wear your watch when you're asleep? I guess you don't, right? Then why is it a problem to charge the Apple Watch every day? In fact, even if my iPhone lasts for two days, I naturally put it on the charger every night. So it makes no difference at all. Same with the Apple Watch.

Don't see why people should be complaining about having to charge a device every night.. Well, I don't have the Apple Watch yet, so I can't figure out what could be wrong with that... :p

14. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I put my 6 Plus on a table when I get home or at work. The charging cable is right there. It's not an added step. I think what people are saying is that it's an added step. I don't mind charging every night.

I'm more concerned with it lasting through my work day. My workouts significantly drain the Watch battery by more than 20% during the first two days. These were not intense workouts by any means.

15. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I wore it out last night for the first time with some friends. I made a point not to mention that I got one. When they realized I had it, they were surprisingly interested. Most don't care to stay up to date on gadgets, but even they said they had been interested to see one in action.

I was honestly expecting to be made fun of a bit for having one already, but it seems surprisingly "socially acceptable." At least within my friend group, which is surprising. We do a good job of giving each other a hard time :)

I live in a large city (Berlin) and I have gotten some curious glances on the train/in public when I check an alert or read a message.

16. biosci macrumors 6502a

Yet enough interest to be browsing the forums...

----------

Let's all see the reactions from the upcoming Google Glass goes. Oh boy.

17. Stoneyman macrumors member

Out to dinner on Friday one of the servers (not ours) stopped by the table to ask about it, and the restaurant owner came and sat down to chat about it as well. Had friends over last night and they were very interested in it as well.

Dispite what people may think about their products or their company - Apple sure knows how create buzz.

18. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Uh, yeah, I'm here because I'm interested. Oh wait, I have one on the way! So not sure why you quoted my post.

19. biosci macrumors 6502a

It was for goofy cyborg! Can't wait to get mine. I think yours was there from quoting him/her too. Sorry for the confusion.

20. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Used mine at the gas station clerk said "That's soo cool" when I used it to pay, went to McDonald's paid with it the guy said "I've never seen that before" when I paid with it, went to the grocery store this morning(FarmFresh) I noticed they had new terminals with NFC, I asked the clerk do these accept Nfc payments like applepay. She said "Oh no we don't have those yet", I then paid for my groceries using my watch.......her eyes were as big as UFOs lol

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Had that experience at two different Starbucks already. ;)

22. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

Friends: "Where's your Watch that you woke up in the middle of the night to order?"

Me: "Processing."

23. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

My cashier at Whole Foods noticed and was very excited to look at it.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I haven't been out much since getting it as I've been stuck home working, but nobody has yet commented on it on my brief trip to the shops. May just be the British way - we're very reserved with our emotions :p

I'm kind of glad, as it'll usually be some kind of "original" 'does it bend?' comment.

I'll let my friends (the ones I trust, anyway...) try it on if they want to, but want to be as discreet as possible really.

25. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hahaha same boat. LOL

Can't wait to get mine and start using it and being in the "future" LOL!