Pulled over for "thinking" I was speeding

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hi I was pulled over at half 12 in the morning and the officers said they thought I was speeding. I said I was doing 33 in a 30 to which they did not reply. I then said this has private plates because I have just bought the car but the original plates are getting put back on. They checked out the plates and said they were fine.

They asked me where I was going and i responded. Then they checked out my driving licence and address and said how long have you been driving to which I responded 1 year and 8 months. They said ok off you go, slow down and that was that.

Shall I take this as a verbal warning or am I going to get points because they did not directly say I was speeding but we thought you were speeding so it sounds like they did not have the correct equipment on them.

What shall I expect.

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Ok because I can't get any points because insurance will go through the roof. Can they send a nip through the post or that is the end of it

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Ok because I can't get any points because insurance will go through the roof. Can they send a nip through the post or that is the end of it
where are you? in the states you need a ticket to get any points. it's a neat scam where they tack on fees after fees if you wish to remove the points from your Lic. freaking scam

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Here in the US you have to be "issued a ticket", i.e., they will present you with a paper document, that you have to sign, that indicates, the infraction, location, officer badge ID, etc.

I can't image any other variation - including in the UK - where you leave and get a ticket after-the-fact (if it's an officer stop vs. something automated like a red light cam).

Reactions: jkcerda

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Strange subject to open your posting history with.

The UK, eh?

I'd imagine that if you were to receive points, you would have been issued with a ticket.
That's what I thought but they did pass my details over the radio. I'm assuming they did that to check out who I was

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Here in the US you have to be "issued a ticket", i.e., they will present you with a paper document, that you have to sign, that indicates, the infraction, location, officer badge ID, etc.

I can't image any other variation - including in the UK - where you leave and get a ticket after-the-fact (if it's an officer stop vs. something automated like a red light cam).
Yes that seems right

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

That is the end of it. You was given a 'verbal' warning. No ticket, no points.

But you will need to remember this. They searched your details on their system. This will show up in their data logs if you are stopped again that they already searched your details before, which will mean you will get a ticket. So be careful

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that if your details had not matched (your story), a ticket would, indeed, have been forthcoming.
Yes but after that the asked how long I had been driving and I anwsered and they let me go and said be careful. I assume that was a question from them I had to answer because if I got it wrong they would have investigated further. So nothing to worry about??
[doublepost=1508944229][/doublepost]
That is the end of it. You was given a 'verbal' warning. No ticket, no points.
Ok thanks for the reassurance

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
No I'm in the UK
U.K? get a lawyer, I COULD represent you if you send me $39.99 and get sure the ticket is dismissed by simply waving my midget hands over the monitor, act NOW and I will cut my fees in 1/2. just $19.99 and you will be good to go.

(offer not valid in the U.K, price & conditions subject to change, outcome not guaranteed as I have never done this before but I could sure use $19.99)

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Yes but after that the asked how long I had been driving and I anwsered and they let me go and said be careful. I assume that was a question from them I had to answer because if I got it wrong they would have investigated further. So nothing to worry about??
[doublepost=1508944229][/doublepost]
Ok thanks for the reassurance
No.

I think that once your personal details matched - i.e. firstly, that you are the registered, or legal - owner of the car, and secondly, that you have a valid, current driving licence - these are the details that I suspect they may have checked & verified - and thirdly, that you are who you say you are, and live in the address that you gave them - I will add that had you lied on either on these matters, most certainly, you would have received a ticket, a fine, and possibly a court appearance - then, they clearly took a decision that the speed you were driving at - which was in excess of the limit for the area, - did not warrant further action.

While we are on that topic, I will comment on your thread title. It is misleading.

If you were doing 33 in a 30 mph zone, then, you were speeding. They did not pull you over because they "were thinking that you were speeding" - you actually were speeding. And I would imagine that the officers were sufficiently experienced - if they had not precisely clocked it - to be able to tell the difference.

But the speed you were traveling at was not deemed sufficiently in excess of the legal limit to warrant anything more than a warning, so - correctly, and kindly - they let you off with a warning.

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
No.

I think that once your personal details matched - i.e. firstly, that you are the registered, or legal - owner of the car, and secondly, that you have a valid, current driving licence - these are the details that I suspect they may have checked & verified - and thirdly, that you are who you say you are, and live in the address that you gave them - I will add that had you lied on either on these matters, most certainly, you would have received a ticket, a fine, and possibly a court appearance - then, they clearly took a decision that the speed you were driving at - which was in excess of the limit for the area, - did not warrant further action.

While we are on that topic, I will comment on your thread title. It is misleading.

If you were doing 33 in a 30 mph zone, then, you were speeding. They did not pull you over because they "were thinking that you were speeding" - you actually were speeding. And I would imagine that the officers were sufficiently experienced - if they had not precisely clocked it - to be able to tell the difference.

But the speed you were traveling at was not deemed sufficiently in excess of the legal limit to warrant anything more than a warning, so - correctly, and kindly - they let you off with a warning.
You can do 33 in a 30 here as they allow 10% +2

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No, that was just standard LEO chit-chat, i.e. how long you been driving, you live around here, coming home from work ... it's just to retain for a moment, make sure everything is kosher, that there's not some clear sign of another issue.

Nah, unless they used radar (in which case that would've said, "We clocked you at exactly X") they were just taking a swing because was late and the tags weren't standard. There's nobody able to tell 30 vs. 33MPH, not to mention the instrumentation deviation in a car that could easily swing 1.5-2MPH and be totally "legal" (which is generally why LEO's allow for a good 10%).

FTR, I say this as someone who has worked with LE, specifically State, for 15+ years.

Reactions: jkcerda

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
it was nothing more than a "warning", hell got a feeling they stopped you for the hell of it and "speeding" was just an excuse. happens all the time.
Yup, I got pulled over for going 81 in a 75 and then had my car searched against my consent because they "smelled" weed. Note my car has Colorado plates and I was pulled over in Nebraska. Never had weed in my life. I was quite upset how easy they can make up claims

Reactions: webbuzz and jkcerda

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
No, that was just standard LEO chit-chat, i.e. how long you been driving, you live around here, coming home from work ... it's just to retain for a moment, make sure everything is kosher, that there's not some clear sign of another issue.

Nah, unless they used radar (in which case that would've said, "We clocked you at exactly X") they were just taking a swing because was late and the tags weren't standard. There's nobody able to tell 30 vs. 33MPH, not to mention the instrumentation deviation in a car that could easily swing 1.5-2MPH and be totally "legal" (which is generally why LEO's allow for a good 10%).

FTR, I say this as someone who has worked with LE, specifically State, for 15+ years.[/QUOTE

FTR, I say this as someone who has worked with LE, specifically State, for 15+ years.
Exactly they did not show me any evidence that I was. Most likely a routine check

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Who ever told you this is wrong, even if it was a police officer. I know numerous people who have been given a ticket for doing 31,32 or 33mph in a 30mph zone. There is no tolerance factor, if a speed sign says '30mph' then you do 30mph or less.

The same applies for all speed restrictions.

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Who ever told you this is wrong, even if it was a police officer. I know numerous people who have been given a ticket for doing 31,32 or 33mph in a 30mph zone. There is no tolerance factor, if a speed sign says '30mph' then you do 30mph or less.

The same applies for all speed restrictions.
It's on dvla

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Really?

They don't "allow" 10% + 2, rather, an element of flexibility can be applied to someone who has answered correctly, has a current licence, and does not have a police record.

Listen: You've been lucky, you got decent police officers who were not prepared to make a meal of this; when they checked you out, they undoubtedly would have checked whether you had a record, as well - police computers would show that.

You were treated leniently - in your own initial post, you admitted that you were exceeding the speed limit (although not by much). Try to learn from that, rather than seek to excuse it.

Reactions: citizenzen

P51mustang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Really?

They don't "allow" 10% + 2, rather, an element of flexibility can be applied to someone who has answered correctly, has a current licence, and does not have a police record.

Listen: You've been lucky, you got decent police officers who were not prepared to make a meal of this; when they checked you out, they undoubtedly would have checked whether you had a record, as well - police computers would show that.

You were treated leniently - in your own initial post, you admitted that you were exceeding the speed limit (although not by much). Try to learn from that, rather than seek to excuse it.
Well ok thanks anyway

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
still willing to represent you , now at the lower price of $9.99 :D

here we tend to drive 10 over the stated limit w/o much problems, unless the cops are looking to fill their quota.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
here we tend to drive 10 over the stated limit w/o much problems, unless the cops are looking to fill their quota.
Yeah, and within the constraints SAE J1226 that most US manufacturers follow in terms of speedo accuracy, there's 4% tolerance (though specific speed biased). 31 or 32 in a 30? A judge would laugh that out of a courtroom and tell the officer to focus on more important tasks. :D And anymore in 2017, you pretty much need documented, calibrated instrumentation (even "pacing" doesn't fly anymore).

Bottom line, they had no idea he was speeding, he looked to be going "about the posted limit", it was late, his tags were funky. They didn't really care about his speed, it was just an excuse for a stop, because so many good arrests result from this sort of police activity.

FWIW, I don't go over +5 MPH on the highway (in 65-70MPH posted), and around town I creep, very slowly, because my car is obnoxious and loud :D

Reactions: webbuzz and jkcerda