Purchasing Gripes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hanshintigers, Jul 19, 2009.

1. hanshintigers macrumors newbie

Just a warning to any prospective iPod Touch buyers: new iPod Touches do not ship with OS 3.0. Perhaps this is obvious to most, but I felt quite deceived when my newly purchased (like in the last few days and well after the launch of the new OS) iPod Touch contained the old operating system. Moreover, unlike the iPhone, iPod Touch consumers are not eligible for the free update.:mad:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm sorry, but this is nothing new. A few minutes of google research before you bought would have revealed this.

3. aliensong macrumors newbie

As a modern consumer, you should do some research of your goods from Google before your purchase action. This will avoid many troubles.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is $10 really that much? For what you get it is totally worth it. :)

5. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Yeah, don't you know you need to watch your back or Apple will bend you over and give it to you if you aren't careful? It's all your fault for being so trusting that you'd be treated like a human-being. You expect a brand new ipod to have their newest software? Are you crazy? Just open your wallet and shut up.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^Nice.

It may be worth it for the iPhone, but not so much for the iPod Touch. Is landscape keyboard really worth $10?

OP, I'm with you- that's total BS. It should come with 3.0 if you've bought it since 3.0 has come out, or it should be a free upgrade. The box should at least state which OS it comes with and that the upgrade is $10 (a sticker at least).

If it were me, I'd call Apple and politely bitch to a phone rep until they credit my account for the ten bucks.

7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Really? You'll probably be bitching 'till hell frezes over :p

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Really? Clearly you don't know how to bitch.

I usually get what I want with customer service reps.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So at what point will Apple ship them with 3.0...after the back to school deal ends? That is kind of BS really...they don't do that with OSX upgrades do they? Yes it is only $10, but it is the principle of the thing- if they release new software today it should ship on products today.. I would not expect refurb's to have it yet, but a new Ipod Touch I would!

So really, at what point will 3.0 become standard on touches...

10. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

3.0 will probably become standard when the 3rd Gen comes out in September. At least I think thats how it worked last year.

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

wow. i did not realize that the new iTouches didnt have 3.0 on it. Strange.
    i thought that 2.0 came on all iTouches after it came out... or maybe that was the "App Pack" of notes and stuff.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

it is not total BS. iPhone customers pay (normally, under ideal circumstances) every month. iPod touch users don't. iPhone users essentially already have paid for their future OS. iPod touch users haven't. For the 2G, you get official bluetooth, landscape keyboard, faster safari, etc and a lot of other OS-wide improvements like cut/copy/paste.

13. hanshintigers thread starter macrumors newbie

The posters who suggested a google search are correct in their assertion that information regarding the fact that iPod Touch users have to pay to upgrade to 3.0 has been widely reported and commented upon. However, I searched using both Apple's site and google prior to purchasing, and was unable to find any information about the OS with which NEW iPods would ship. This is my first iPod, but based upon my experience with buying Apple laptops, I assumed that newly purchased goods would ship with the newest OS. My issue is with the fact that NEWLY purchased iPod Touches do no ship with the newest OS and that Apple does not go to any lengths to inform their customers of this fact.

I did try talking to Apple customer support and I pretty much just got the runaround. They said that I had to make my complaint directly to iTunes. When I wrote a comment to iTunes, I received a reply that basically said (very politely, of course) "that sucks, you should write a comment to this other department."

I don't imagine that I will get anything from Apple but I thought others might find this piece of information interesting.

To answer a previous question, the woman I talked to from Customer Service said that Apple did not have any plans to begin shipping new iPod Touches with OS 3.0. Presumably, this might change if new iPod Touches are introduced in September.

14. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

So what you're saying is if apple releases 4.0 at 10 am today any iPod Touches sold at stores like Best Buy starting at 10 am must automatically come loaded with 4.0? Even if it was placed in the customers hand to take to the register at 9:59? What is Best Buy supposed to go upto the customer and tell them I'm sorry you can't buy that one now apple just released new software and we have to give you the upgraded version THAT IS NOT IN STORES YET?

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I said nothing about Best Buy...I was under the assumption the OP ordered from Apple (or that someone who is should get updated stock at some point)...and I know all about retail stock/inventory after spending 15 years in the retail world myself.

My point was that if they release a new software they should be clear when it will in fact be included on the product. They often come out and say this and that product will be shipping today. Obviously it takes time to get inventory out and such- they just need to be clear when that new OS is shipping with iPod Touches. (and iPhones for that matter)

16. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

If you call Apple, they will be very "clear" and tell you that the new software is not included with the product you're purchasing.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No. However, it has quite a few more features than that, and yes it's worth $10 for iPod touch owners. (I am one, so I know. ;) )

--Eric

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Why should you have to call Apple to find that out? It should be on the box.

Stop making excuses for a corporation.

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

What other device manufacturer continues to release updates for a media player device after the customer buys it? Apple could say "Here is your iPod with 2.X, enjoy. We have your money, we will not release any more updates for you." But they don't. If you want 3.0, fork over $10 and get it. That offsets the development and R&D costs that go into making a product. You realize that there are humans working on this software, who get paychecks right?

Apple releases handheld updates, and they do so for a low cost and free for iPhone users. If you want the latest version, pay $10 or wait until the next device revision comes out that will have 3.0 on it.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^ Well I'm sure the cost of a little round sticker placed on the box that says "includes OS 2.1.1" would just be impossible for them.

I don't have a problem with the $10 updates in general. But for someone who buys an iPod AFTER the new OS is released, it isn't unreasonable to expect it to come with the newest OS.

21. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

What do you want them to put on the box, a big red sticker that says, "iPhone 3.0 software not included"???

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Apparently, yeah. Even though thats not Apple like. Just because 3.0 is released does not mean you deserve it for free. If I buy a Dell with Windows XP, should I get mad that Vista isn't on it? Do I deserve Vista for free?

23. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^ what a horrible example. It's not like you buy a PC, open it up, and THEN discover that XP is on it. XP or Vista is listed as a spec before you buy that PC.

Come on now.

No. How about a sticker that says, "Includes iPhone OS 2.1.1"

Or how about listing it on the list that's on the back of the box along with the other items that are included in the box? That would be so hard. :rolleyes:

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It would be more consumer friendly of Apple to include a free upgrade to the current OS when you make an iPod touch purchase.

Since there will always be iPods in the retail channel when a new OS version is released, nobody can expect Apple to instantly and magically update them in the field before they are sold. They just shouldn't be charging you to get the current software, unless they make clear at the time of sale that you may not get the current software.

Then let people gripe about all the bother they have to go to to download and install their free update!

25. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Come on, with the nature of software an how fast it changes that's not hard, it's impossible.