Pure speculation, watchOS 2 release date?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ra4oasis, Sep 6, 2015.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

While we might get this information on Wednesday, and guess as to when watchOS 2 will be released? I haven't been using the beta, so I don't know now far along/stable it is. I'm excited to get the new features, so hopefully we won't have to wait TOO long.

2. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Same day as iOS9. They require each other to function.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No they don't. I have been using iOS9 for months with wOS1.1. Public iOS9 can be easily released before wOS2.

5. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

They do. Anyway, it's basic logic. Apple aren't going to make the watch suddenly cease to function because a user installed iOS 9 and then didn't install watchOS 2.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This week. Wednesday or Thursday. They are releasing iOS 9 with watchOS 2.0 because of the concurrent features.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I don't totally doubt this. I was just responding that iOS9 doesn't require wOS2 to operate. There are a couple of things to keep in mind though.

• At WWDC Apple said wOS2 would be in the fall and it is VERY rare that any software is released before the announced time frame
    • The current wOS2 beta is very buggy, needs a LOT more work and is NOT ready for 'prime time'

10. dilap macrumors 6502a

Is September not fall?

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Probably next Wednesday along with iOS 9. Usually the iOS release comes out 2 days before the new iPhone goes on sale. I expect iPhone pre-orders to start Friday and actual sales a week from Friday.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

About September 23 to December 22. Next week is NOT fall. Mid to late October is more in line. That is usually when we get iPads and OS X released (although OS X seems about ready and Apple has already tested the installer).

EDIT: Just checked and Yosemite fall release was on Oct 16.

13. dilap macrumors 6502a

But according to Apple's website, iOS 9 is coming this "Fall", so I assume that means Apple's Fall starts Sep 1.

Attached Files:

14. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They don't necessarily go by astronomical calendar. September is considered fall. Otherwise, you might as well say the iPhone 6s is being released in the summer rather than the fall like in the past few years.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yeah, we're talking about a company here. September through November/December is Fall.

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's not very buggy. Have u actually used beta 5?? Works perfectly - as well as 1.01 in fact

17. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

watchOS 2 requires iOS 9 and that is probably what that person was referring to. Just very poorly worded.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You should reread their posts because it is crystal clear they meant you can't use iOS9 with wOS1.1 which is incorrect.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, I'm an AppleSeed tester and not a developer. Just going by what I've read in the sticky. I can't wait for wOS2 and 3ed party fitness apps. This thread has sort of pulled me down the rabbit hole. Here is what I'm saying and think will happen.

• Known: *wOS1.1 will work with iOS9
    • Believe: wOS2 will be released post iOS9 and not concurrently.

Again I hope my belief is proven wrong and wOS2 is ready and released next week.

* In fact you MUST install iOS9 while your still using wOS1.1 before you can install wOS2, since the wOS installer is in the Watch app.

20. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I don't need to re-read their posts. The person you quoted said "Same day as iOS 9. They require each other to function."

Since the thread is about watchOS 2, he isn't wrong. watchOS 2 does require iOS 9 to function. His choice of wording though wasn't good because it implies the other way around as well (which isn't true.)

No where was watchOS 1.0.1 even part of the discussion at that point. So how is it crystal clear that he was talking about 1.0.1 when the topic is watchOS 2?

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Keep reading. I followed that by saying that I was using iOS9 beta with wOS1.1 and she/he said (iOS) Betas don't count.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Another great thread that proves we do not know. :p

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm guessing we'll hear Wednesday and I wouldn't be surprised if it rolls out that day. I've not really kept up on the betas so i have no idea if the OS is ready for prime time, but my uneducated guess is Wednesday

24. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

From what I've read, most say it runs pretty good. (As good as 1.0.1 or slightly better) But as always with any bit of software, there are the few unlucky that doesn't run so good.

Devs will probably see a GM Wednesday. The official public release can't happen until iOS 9 is officially released to the public. And that isn't usually until a couple days before the new iPhones are available. (Roughly a week after the keynote)